PDA

View Full Version : 12v feed under bonnet

chrislloydie
24th July 2010, 18:32
I've got some daylight running lights that I want to wire up so they come on with the ignition. Is it possible to wire these straight from the battery to save fussing around and going into the cabin?

If so, please can someone explain to me in simplish terms the best/safest way to do it? And also what I will need, inline fuses etc.

Thanks all.:)

wuzerk
24th July 2010, 18:43
i have wired mine,via a 2 Amp in-line fuse, fed from Fuse 4 (15Amp) in the underbonnet fuse box. This means that the LEDs come on when the ignition key is turned to position 2 and they go off about 5 seconds after you turn the engine off.

chrislloydie
24th July 2010, 18:52
i have wired mine,via a 2 Amp in-line fuse, fed from Fuse 4 (15Amp) in the underbonnet fuse box. This means that the LEDs come on when the ignition key is turned to position 2 and they go off about 5 seconds after you turn the engine off.

That sounds like what I want. How exactly do you wire them up direct to the fuse? Excuse my sounding like a complete numpty but electrics isn't my strong point. :o

Jakg
24th July 2010, 18:58
I made a thread with the same question here (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=553670#post553670), but alas found nothing so ended up doing it via the ignition live in the stereo bay.

chrislloydie
24th July 2010, 19:01
I made a thread with the same question here (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=553670&postcount=1), but alas found nothing so ended up doing it via the ignition live in the stereo bay.

Hello mate, yeah I was following your thread and saw how you did it. But also seen that some seemed to feed them straight from the battery and some from the under bonnet fusebox. I just need someone to tell me exactly how to go about this.

Next decision is where to locate the actual led strips. I have 2 x 48cm strips which like yours can be cut to size. :confused:

Jakg
24th July 2010, 19:05
Hello mate, yeah I was following your thread and saw how you did it. But also seen that some seemed to feed them straight from the battery and some from the under bonnet fusebox. I just need someone to tell me exactly how to go about this.

Next decision is where to locate the actual led strips. I have 2 x 48cm strips which like yours can be cut to size. :confused:48cm is quite long, not really sure where you could put them tbh. I like the where mine are (or at least, I can't think of anywhere else!) - you could either loop them so have 2 or 3 rows one above the other in the vent (mine aren't bright so might help make them more visible) or put them around the headlights.

chrislloydie
24th July 2010, 19:14
Yeah 48cm is too long, but they can be trimmed right down as neccessary. Was considering doubling them up somehow.

I got them free so I suppose I'll just have a play around and see where I like them. (while trying to stick within the law)

wuzerk
24th July 2010, 20:14
Regarding the connection to fuse 4 in the underbonnet fuse box, I fed a wire in through one of the gaps so that the lid doesn't trap it, then removed fuse 4, inserted the wire into the r/h side of its socket and pushed the fuse back in! The new (thin) wire then goes directly into an in-line fuse holder and then to the LEDs. My Lamps are fixed directly above the two spotlights but have only five bulbs in each so are shorter than yours. This position complies with all aspects of the law (they are bright white).
The total consumption of my two lamps is 87milliamps!
EDIT: Your handle does not give the year of your diesel, mine is an 03 and I assume that your fuse box is the same as mine?

Jakg
24th July 2010, 20:21
Quick night picture - mounted in the "air intake" thats blocked off in the diesel.

Not that visible during the day, but the reflectivity of the surround helps them be seen.

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/240710/1280003023.jpg

chrislloydie
24th July 2010, 20:41
Quick night picture - mounted in the "air intake" thats blocked off in the diesel.

Not that visible during the day, but the reflectivity of the surround helps them be seen.

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/240710/1280003023.jpg

I know you said yours weren't very visible in the day, but they do look good at night. Think I'll probably locate mine in the same area.

chrislloydie
24th July 2010, 20:44
Regarding the connection to fuse 4 in the underbonnet fuse box, I fed a wire in through one of the gaps so that the lid doesn't trap it, then removed fuse 4, inserted the wire into the r/h side of its socket and pushed the fuse back in! The new (thin) wire then goes directly into an in-line fuse holder and then to the LEDs. My Lamps are fixed directly above the two spotlights but have only five bulbs in each so are shorter than yours. This position complies with all aspects of the law (they are bright white).
The total consumption of my two lamps is 87milliamps!
EDIT: Your handle does not give the year of your diesel, mine is an 03 and I assume that your fuse box is the same as mine?

So did yours have a positive and negative wire? Positive positioned under fuse 4, What about the negative wire?

Thomas
24th July 2010, 23:34
Guys I moved this into the technical help section as it was getting a complicated thread ! Must say though I like the DRLs !:D

wuzerk
25th July 2010, 19:14
CHRIS, the negative wire goes to the chassis, under an existing bolt head will be fine but make sure there is bright metal for a good contact.

chrislloydie
30th July 2010, 11:35
CHRIS, the negative wire goes to the chassis, under an existing bolt head will be fine but make sure there is bright metal for a good contact.

And the inline fuse goes on the positive wire in between the lights and the battery connection?

chrislloydie
31st July 2010, 14:20
Anyone tell me where I should put the inline fuse? :confused:

HarryM1BYT
31st July 2010, 18:10
Anyone tell me where I should put the inline fuse? :confused:

Good electrical practice is to put the inline fuse as close as you can get it to the feed source. Could you get it inside the fuse box?

chrislloydie
31st July 2010, 19:33
Good electrical practice is to put the inline fuse as close as you can get it to the feed source. Could you get it inside the fuse box?

Yeah it should fit in there. Ive put the inline fuse as close to feed source as possible. However I am now toying with the idea of running them through the bulkhead and using a cigaretted lighter plug to plug them into my power adaptor under armrest. Just gotta find a way to get wires through bulkhead. :confused:

wuzerk
31st July 2010, 20:45
Why on earth would you wish to give yourself all that trouble? A lot easier to connect them to the underbonnet fuse box.

chrislloydie
31st July 2010, 20:47
Why on earth would you wish to give yourself all that trouble? A lot easier to connect them to the underbonnet fuse box.

I have a cigarette lighter plug with a switch on top, it would allow me to turn the DLRs off should the need arise without having to pull the wires under the bonnet.

Jakg
31st July 2010, 20:48
Yeah it should fit in there. Ive put the inline fuse as close to feed source as possible. However I am now toying with the idea of running them through the bulkhead and using a cigaretted lighter plug to plug them into my power adaptor under armrest. Just gotta find a way to get wires through bulkhead. :confused:Drivers side plenum, just above the bonnet release cable there should be a grommet - drill a hole in there and you will be able to thread the cable through.