PDA

View Full Version : Removing the loadspace cover on a tourer???

Womble
14th November 2006, 12:37
Hi All,

I don't know if Mk2 are the same, but on my Mk1 tourer, there is a button at either end of the loadspace cover that you press down when you want to remove the cover.

One side is fine, but the other side stays pressed down (but with the loadspace cover still locked in place) the whole time, which means I can't remove the loadspace cover, which is a complete pain if I need to fit something like a fridge into the back of the car.

Does anyone know how to get the button working? I don't think this is a problem with the cover, so much as with the car, because I had the same problem both with the original cover and with the current one (which includes the dog net). The garage sorted it the first time when I had a service done, but I don't fancy paying their minimum labour rates for something so seemingly simple again!

Keith
14th November 2006, 17:23
I will go and examine mine in the morning and see if there is anything obvious

John Robins
14th November 2006, 20:34
Womble , I think there all rather stiff on mine the buttons need pushing several times and a wiggle ! the net is to stop luggage not dogs and mind the weight of the thing , desigined for back trouble .

crofts
15th November 2006, 03:05
Hi All,

I don't know if Mk2 are the same, but on my Mk1 tourer, there is a button at either end of the loadspace cover that you press down when you want to remove the cover.

One side is fine, but the other side stays pressed down (but with the loadspace cover still locked in place) the whole time, which means I can't remove the loadspace cover, which is a complete pain if I need to fit something like a fridge into the back of the car.

Does anyone know how to get the button working? I don't think this is a problem with the cover, so much as with the car, because I had the same problem both with the original cover and with the current one (which includes the dog net). The garage sorted it the first time when I had a service done, but I don't fancy paying their minimum labour rates for something so seemingly simple again!

A squirt of WD40 may help to loosen it. As mentioned, it is heavy (really good quality compared to our Vectra cover) but once released you can swing one side towards rear of car which helps & the same thing in reverse putting it back.

Rob Bell
15th November 2006, 13:31
I wonder whether the catch has jammed Womble. I'd try pushing the mechanism fully home on both sides, and hopefully this will release the locking mechanism to allow you to depress the button and release.

I have to say that the one on ours comes out very regularly for the kinds of loads we put in the car, and it is very robust and seems reliable. If I have a complaint about it, then it would be the pull handle, which appears to become free from the material to which it is attached :(

EnEnGee
15th November 2006, 15:22
Our car had the load cover missing when we got the car (we did not know then that they were standard) and we obtained on off Ebay. The latching of the cover to the car was quite problematic to start with and was a job to latch at one end. Over the last year, it has been in and out several times and has now loosened up to the extent that it now isn't a problem. A slight squirt of WD40 should do the trick.

Time Searcher
16th November 2006, 19:59
I have had a similar problem with this device. It seems that the load cover mechanism has to be positioned with the space at either end very much the same gap. If it is not... then one or other of the catches will not release. Check these and if not the same then 'assist' it with a lever [screw-driver] and that ought to allow the release button to operate. It worked for me!
Hope this helps... :lol:
Martin