PDA

View Full Version : Back to natural wax. The fruits of todays labour.

Ross R75
3rd June 2007, 17:54
Hi all,

I decided last week that I was going to go back to using natural wax. I had been using a synthetic wax/sealant combination and although it is very good, you don't get the warmth of shine that a natural wax gives you. You get a very clinical cold shine and I don't think it suits the colour of my car very well (white gold), it makes it look too silver.

I washed the car this morning, dried her off and then waited for the sun to go down a bit for the panels to cool down enough to apply some P21S concourse carnauba/bees wax. The car was protected with Carlack-68 last month and this is still the base layer. Its much easier and more effective to wax on top of this than straight onto the paint. The wheels got some P21S too. Makes it easier to remove brake dust.

Here are the results:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ross20vSE/Rover%2075/R75OCW6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ross20vSE/Rover%2075/R75OCW5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ross20vSE/Rover%2075/R75OCW3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ross20vSE/Rover%2075/R75OCW2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ross20vSE/Rover%2075/R75OCW1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Ross20vSE/Rover%2075/R75OCW4.jpg

And no, I don't work for a well known supermarket chain. Was using their recycling centre and the car park is good for photos. :)

Mike
3rd June 2007, 17:59
wow! Nice job Ross :D you must have put a lot of effort into that and the results show - well done indeed.

Mike

Mike
3rd June 2007, 18:00
ps I do understand you know - we don't want our cars looking silver now do we :rofl:

Ross R75
3rd June 2007, 18:04
wow! Nice job Ross :D you must have put a lot of effort into that and the results show - well done indeed.

ps I do understand you know - we don't want our cars looking silver now do we :rofl:

Mike

Certainly not sir :D ;) Thanks Mike, your praise is appreciated.

Tatts
3rd June 2007, 18:46
I've recently been converted to Wax Been using Natty's paste wax, the results are outstanding, easy to use, and it smells good enough to eat!

Looks like my collection of Auto Glym paintwork products are now redundant.

Ross R75
3rd June 2007, 18:56
I've recently been converted to Wax Been using Natty's paste wax, the results are outstanding, easy to use, and it smells good enough to eat!

I've used Natty's Blue in the past, very good it is too. Apart from having half a tub in my car maintenance shed, the reason I'm using P21S is that it contains bees wax. A lot of waxes have Carnauba but very few have bees wax. It adds to the durability and creates a really warm reflection.

TastyBurger
3rd June 2007, 19:29
I've got some P21s in the garage that i've hardly touched - along with the cleanser stuff. Think I'll give it a whirl on my pearl black ZT in a couple of weeks.

Its excellent stuff, not sure why I havent used it - must have had it about 2 or 3 years now!

empsburna
3rd June 2007, 19:40
I like P21s - but its horses for courses - doesn't agree with my blue coop but it gave a great finish on a silver corsa.

Keith
4th June 2007, 14:43
Off topic but I was watching how its made yesterday lunch time in between ripping the Stagosaurus apart and they were showing how Gobstoppers were made.
Each batch is polished by adding an amount of carnauba wax which I found amazing as I thought the stuff cost a fortune!

Dave***t
4th June 2007, 16:41

Same here - using EGP over the weekend left some streaking visible from certain angles that just wouldn't buff out :shrug: Probably my fault for some reason of course, but I'll be trying out the blue stuff next time around.

rover
4th June 2007, 17:02
Off topic but I was watching how its made yesterday lunch time in between ripping the Stagosaurus apart and they were showing how Gobstoppers were made.
Each batch is polished by adding an amount of carnauba wax which I found amazing as I thought the stuff cost a fortune!

Best quality Pure Carnauba Flakes cost around £20 per kilo & in the most expensive Polishes Carnauba represents around 40% of the mix. When you consider the price of some of the hyped products you would think it was a fortune.

Tatts
4th June 2007, 17:51
Same here - using EGP over the weekend left some streaking visible from certain angles that just wouldn't buff out :shrug: Probably my fault for some reason of course, but I'll be trying out the blue stuff next time around.

If you've used EGP on top of Natty's then thats why it has streaked. They do not mix or bond properly!

Dave***t
5th June 2007, 07:58
Nah, no EGP on top of any wax, just straight on after polishing a few weeks ago, then topped up this weekend. Not to worry, it's just a useful excuse to buy and try out some new toys :)

Tatts
5th June 2007, 10:37
Nah, no EGP on top of any wax, just straight on after polishing a few weeks ago, then topped up this weekend. Not to worry, it's just a useful excuse to buy and try out some new toys :)

EGP on top of what polish though? From what I've gleaned EGP does not 'play' well with others, and should only be used on top of AG Polish!

What toys are you considering? I'm a nosey NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- at times! ;)

Dave***t
5th June 2007, 13:09
Lol no worries :) The polish I used was Autoglym SRP, the only thing I can think of that would have affected it is that some of the car was in direct sunlight while I was working on it. But the streaks aren't really noticeable unless you get right over the paint and look closely so I'm not worried.

Toys? Nothing major, I still haven't quite been able to convince myself to justify buying a porter cable yet! Was thinking of getting some of the P21S total auto wash to strip everything off, then a basic buffing machine just to make using some carlack 68 and/or some natty's blue wax a bit easier (fed up of aching arms!). And also maybe one of those hoselock wash solution wotsits from cleanyourcar to do away with the second wash bucket. Pointless toys :)

empsburna
5th June 2007, 14:00
do you know what you may have just answered a niggling doubt i have had in the back of my head - what colour is your car?

I have had exactly the same results on a similar colour ZTT - the bonnet looked streaky after applying.

Dave***t
5th June 2007, 14:42
Oh right, thought it was just me being NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- lol.

The car's anthracite. The streaks are as I say minor, but if you catch them in the right light they look as if you haven't buffed the EGP off quite enough. Yet try as I might, I can't shift them. And it's mostly on the bonnet.

Sound similar?

Ti Rich
9th June 2007, 12:11
I have a problem with the auto glym polish i am using (one with the gold label). After a few days the polish "leaches out" of the paintwork and patches of un buffed off white polish appear - even though they were not there two days earlier.

Has anyone else got this problem?

empsburna
9th June 2007, 12:55
Oh right, thought it was just me being NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- lol.

The car's anthracite. The streaks are as I say minor, but if you catch them in the right light they look as if you haven't buffed the EGP off quite enough. Yet try as I might, I can't shift them. And it's mostly on the bonnet.

Sound similar?
dang nabbit very similar! And Anthracite too! I thought it was the car paintwork!

I wonder whats going on there.... I wonder how the bonnets were sprayed... hmmm.....

This is Anthracite isn't it?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb11/empsburnacoupe/zttjim.jpg

Ti Rich - Try using some quick detailing spray when removing the polish - work it until it has gone hazy/white and you can remove it by rubbing your finger over it and it not streaking.

Ti Rich
9th June 2007, 13:51
Thanks Emps - I still haven't found the time to pop over to see if you can do those scratches of mine!

empsburna
9th June 2007, 14:57
np - just give me a shout when you are free :)

Dave***t
13th June 2007, 14:52
dang nabbit very similar! And Anthracite too! I thought it was the car paintwork!

I wonder whats going on there.... I wonder how the bonnets were sprayed... hmmm.....

Yeah that paintwork looks like anthracite to me.

The only thing I can think of is that I (we?) put too much EGP on, and because it was sunny, it hardened too quickly. Although I'm not sure I even believe that myself lol :) If you do figure out causes or remedies I'd be all ears.

On another side note - I've heard the paintwork on these cars is comparatively soft - reckon that means that it might be possible to get swirl marks out by hand, or is it still machine only?

JohnDotCom
13th June 2007, 22:54
There was an Excellent How To on cleaning your Car posted by member on here, and also claying to get rid of Swirls.
Have a look through the How To section.

Dave***t
14th June 2007, 07:19
Can't seem to find that particular How To for some reason, but it is early and I'm not overly awake yet! But I do have a reasonable amount of experience in using most products short of a machine polisher, and I've found that while clay is great, it doesn't really help much with swirl marks - it's more of a preparation for the polishing stage. Happy to be proved wrong though, of course.

I'd love to pay for a proper detail, but it seems like they're £££ :( One day...

empsburna
14th June 2007, 08:42
I think it was me who posted those guides. ;)

The paint is fairly soft yes - and clay will just remove the bonded contaminents ready for a polish.

It was a fairly overcast day when I did the ZTT - and it didnt happen on any other panel.... hmmm....

the cost of the detail depends on who you go to and what you need ;)