PDA

View Full Version : going to look at 75 diesel estate

bazcat2005
28th August 2010, 15:20
hi folks im off to conwy to have a look at a 75 diesel auto estate 100,000 miles on the clock full history and mot on a december 2002 reg,is there anything to look out for? also do they tow well? many thanx guys. daz :)

RoverRobert
28th August 2010, 17:27
hi folks im off to conwy to have a look at a 75 diesel auto estate 100,000 miles on the clock full history and mot on a december 2002 reg,is there anything to look out for? also do they tow well? many thanx guys. daz :)

Check the cooling fan is working, mine was knackered when I purchased the car but didnt find out til I had the a/c re-gassed

Plenty of stuff regarding this if you look in the search

Personally I think you're making a good choice as I have the same car!;)

Godders 75
28th August 2010, 17:35
hi folks im off to conwy to have a look at a 75 diesel auto estate 100,000 miles on the clock full history and mot on a december 2002 reg,is there anything to look out for? also do they tow well? many thanx guys. daz :) Hi and welcome to the club, i recenty purchased a diesel auto tourer 105k on a 03 plate, and i absolulty love the car:D, i dont know much about the technical side make sure the first thing you look at is the plenum, search the threads theres a lot on here about it, if there not clear it will flood the ecu.
all the best
Gaz

Dragrad
28th August 2010, 17:48
Excellent choice :D

Have a look at this (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=539686&postcount=1) to see what to look for

biggles2000
30th August 2010, 17:26

Have a look at this (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=539686&postcount=1) to see what to look for

Just to add to the excellent list of things to check.. these come to mind...

Inside:

-Lift up driver and passenger mat and check for damp, also check rear passenger footwells - if it is, problem most likely blocked sunroof drains. Easy to sort out.

-Examine the retractable boot cover for stains, these could be water marks from water leaking in through the rear glass.

Under bonnet:

-Locate MAF sensor, just behind the yellow oil filler cap - back left. Check it is plugged in! It is covered slightly by the plastic (air filter cover), but you can easily get your fingers in there and give it a wiggle. If it is unplugged then consider the old one duff.

-As you face the engine, to the lower right of the radiators, look at the big hose ( intercooler hose ), look for fresh oil gunking it up. It if looks like it has been wiped clean or there is fresh looking oil plastered all over the palce then you need new intercooler o-rings. Cheap, but not a quick job.

If the AC fan hasnt been changed, and you can hear it grinding or the AC "whoops" then the cost to DIY replace is about 300GBP - do this with the new o-rings. From Jules, you can get complete fan assembly, aircon condensor (small radiator panel), and o rings. Also factor in degassing/regassing.

- Near the dipstick, check the hoses for rub on the aircon pipework.

- Have a real good eyeball on all the bits of the engine, look for anything that looks brand new or very clean. Ask about it. The sound proofing cover ontop of the engine doesnt help, but I wouldnt imagine a reputable seller would mind removing the three bolts - take along a small rachet with extension bar and 8mm socket. I would want to look and see if the PCV has been changed, it is just infront of the airfilter to the right of the oil filler cap.

- Ask about in-tank fuel pump. Has it been changed? Also under bonnet fuel pump.

HarryM1BYT
30th August 2010, 18:15
It if looks like it has been wiped clean or there is fresh looking oil plastered all over the palce then you need new intercooler o-rings. Cheap, but not a quick job.

About £3 or £4 and less than an hours easy work tackled from under the bonnet - no need to remove the bumper.

Garden
30th August 2010, 19:01
Hi and :welcome: to the club.
If you are unsure as to what to look for, you could pm Jules. He is a very well respected authority on these cars and he lives near Conwy. If he isn't too busy (he normally is) he might agree to have a look with you.

bazcat2005
31st August 2010, 13:40

Cheers buddy if thats a pic of your car the one im thinking of buying is identical. cheers buddy.daz:)

bazcat2005
31st August 2010, 13:44
Check the cooling fan is working, mine was knackered when I purchased the car but didnt find out til I had the a/c re-gassed

Plenty of stuff regarding this if you look in the search

Personally I think you're making a good choice as I have the same car!;)

Thanx buddy,im gonna miss my faithfull pajero but even on lpg its gonna cost me £28/day to commute from gloucester to burntwood,so need sumat more economical and be able to pull my caravan and this should do the job,and more stylish than a mondeo:)

bazcat2005
31st August 2010, 13:47
Hi and welcome to the club, i recenty purchased a diesel auto tourer 105k on a 03 plate, and i absolulty love the car:D, i dont know much about the technical side make sure the first thing you look at is the plenum, search the threads theres a lot on here about it, if there not clear it will flood the ecu.
all the best
Gaz

thanx buddy appreciate the advise:)

bazcat2005
31st August 2010, 13:50
Thanx to everyone for there help and advice and hopefully i'll be coming back with a nice car will let you know and post pics:)

cheers everyone

daz