PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid shaped black object

Hawkeye
14th November 2006, 20:31
Hi, again. Not an important question and possibly a stupid one, but does anyone know what the pyramid shaped black object (approx 40mm x 30mm) does which sits between the 2 front air vents (for the front windscreen) on top of the dash board. Some sort of sensor, or part of the alarm system ? Been meaning to ask the question for some time now but never got round to it. 75 1.8 petrol Conn face lift model.

Thanks

Kev :confused:

Mike
14th November 2006, 20:33
It's the sunlight sensor for the atc. Was round on the original cars - didn't realise it had gone pyramid.

Mike :)

JP53
14th November 2006, 20:34
Hi, again. Not an important question and possibly a stupid one, but does anyone know what the pyramid shaped black object (approx 40mm x 30mm) does which sits between the 2 front air vents (for the front windscreen) on top of the dash board. Some sort of sensor, or part of the alarm system ? Been meaning to ask the question for some time now but never got round to it. 75 1.8 petrol Conn face lift model.

Thanks

Kev :confused:

I think it's part of the ATC system. Sunlight sensor or heat sensor, John

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 20:50
It's the sunlight sensor for the ATC

We are going to have to do something with the accoustics in here I think, for all the Echoes Echoes Echoes :lol:

JP53
14th November 2006, 20:56

We are going to have to do something with the accoustics in here I think, for all the Echoes Echoes Echoes :lol:

Yes but how many other places can you go to and get so many right answers? :)

Hawkeye
14th November 2006, 20:57
Cheers for that. Something else I've learnt.

Kev:) :)

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 20:58
Cheers for that. Something else I've learnt.

Kev:) :)

Welcome Kev,

Good here innit :)

Hawkeye
14th November 2006, 21:01
Brill.Thanks for all your help.

Kandyman
14th November 2006, 21:02

JP53
14th November 2006, 21:08
Brill.Thanks for all your help.

Best forum in the world!

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:10
I have only one thing left to say

Mike
14th November 2006, 21:21
Did anybody mention it's the sunlight sensor?

JP53
14th November 2006, 21:23

Only a few times Mike :D but not as quietly as that. I might change my answer to a Lemon stand just to stop this thread getting repetitive :D

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:23

NO

Now go to bed and let's not have any more of this nonsense

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:27
Cor sounded just like Ken :rofl:

JP53
14th November 2006, 21:32
Cor sounded just like Ken :rofl:

I thought you had posted a blank screen I will have to get these glasses changed :laughing2: Best not actually wife looks better with these on!

Simon
14th November 2006, 21:35
Stop this. It's silly. :twonk: :D

And now for something completely different.... :beer2:

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:36
I will have to get these glasses changed :laughing2: Best not actually wife looks better with these on!

Cheapskate buy her, her own pair.:D

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:38
I think I know where this thread is going to end up.

\/
\/
\/

The Social Reform........................Bring me the comfy chair :lol:

Ken
14th November 2006, 21:38
Children children its gone ten and you have to be up in the morning :mad:

Its the sunlight sensor :group: :group:

Night all

Ken

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:40
Shshhhhhhhhh, you'll wake Christopher then he'll be up all night.

JP53
14th November 2006, 21:43
Children children its gone ten and you have to be up in the morning :mad:

Its the sunlight sensor :group: :group:

Night all

Ken

Right I'm off to bed or else I wont be up in the morning. Why a sunlight sensor in this country? Night all.

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 21:43
Night John boy

Christopher
14th November 2006, 22:56
Shshhhhhhhhh, you'll wake Christopher then he'll be up all night.

What?! who said that - I was almost asleep!! Early start tomorrow too :(

By the way what is that pyramid thing for!!!?!

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 22:59
What?! who said that - I was almost asleep!! Early start tomorrow too :(

By the way what is that pyramid thing for!!!?!

Squeezing lemons , apparently :)

Kandyman
14th November 2006, 23:07
When you mention the word Pyramid i think of my fav tv program

http://www.xerces.com/images/smilies/stargate003.gif Stargate

Simon
14th November 2006, 23:30
Squeezing lemons , apparently :)

And there was me telling customers in my shop to buy one of those glass versions.

Well, now when I'm asked "Do you have a lemon squeezer"

I shall reply with "No. But if you buy a 75/ZT then you'll have the quickest travelling lemon squeezer money can buy...."

crofts
15th November 2006, 00:42
Right I'm off to bed or else I wont be up in the morning. Why a sunlight sensor in this country? Night all.

Wot
Nothing wrong in providing one in case some ever appears. Called forward thinking I believe :rolleyes:

Teflon
15th November 2006, 07:32
So,

I gather it's the "Sunlight Sensor" then?

Well if that's the case, how come my ATC still works at night?:flog:

Cliff

GreyGhost
15th November 2006, 08:32
So,

I gather it's the "Sunlight Sensor" then?

Well if that's the case, how come my ATC still works at night?:flog:

Cliff

Because it has sensed the lack of sun. :)

Seriously. At night or low light levels the ATC just functions using the temperature sensor. In daylight it uses both.

Teflon
15th November 2006, 09:20
Because it has sensed the lack of sun. :)

Seriously. At night or low light levels the ATC just functions using the temperature sensor. In daylight it uses both.

HMMmmm I would have preferred a more technical answer involving moonlight sensors in the roof rails (or similar). Still, I suppose your answer will suffice:)

Cliff

Keith
15th November 2006, 10:04
I think you are all wrong

It is a Toblerone and it has been there so long it has fossilised

:munch:

Simon
15th November 2006, 14:07
I think you are all wrong

It is a Toblerone and it has been there so long it has fossilised

:munch:

Well, in that case mine has melted somewhat. Looks more like an oversized Cadbury's Milk Button.

Or maybe its the remains of a Malteser that has had it's inside honeycomb sucked out by a very tiny straw...

...the posibilities are endless :bigsmile:

Hawkeye
15th November 2006, 14:29
Thanks for all your replies got a few ideas what it now does or can do, I think! Cheers Kev:confused:

jcwatrichmond
19th November 2009, 08:00
It's a miniature version of those automatic weather station buoys out in the ocean that send sunlight sensing, amongst other things, back to the met office by wireless. In our case it sends it to the cabin heating control and makes a correction to stop overheating in the cabin. It saves us having to have a real weather station buoy on the roof with all the problems that would entail. I wonder if other cars have them? (the sunlight sensor, I mean)

JCW

bl52krz
19th November 2009, 09:55
:confused::propeller::propeller::mood:It's a miniature version of those automatic weather station buoys out in the ocean that send sunlight sensing, amongst other things, back to the met office by wireless. In our case it sends it to the cabin heating control and makes a correction to stop overheating in the cabin. It saves us having to have a real weather station buoy on the roof with all the problems that would entail. I wonder if other cars have them? (the sunlight sensor, I mean)

JCW
dont think mine is working. there aint no sun up here at the moment only wind.
burp.

Departed
19th November 2009, 12:22
I wonder if other cars have them? (the sunlight sensor, I mean)

JCW

Yes, many do. Quite a lot these days have dual sensors, that is for left and right, in the same housing. That way it can tell where the sun is too and compensate, for example if its shining on the passenger but not the driver.

Mike 25543
19th December 2011, 19:55
Hi, I am now living with my second 75 Tourer, PX first Y reg at 187000 miles, this one is a bit younger with less miles on the clock. Both have had the same problem,cold air only on the passenger side; my wife thinks I did it on purpose; as if I would! Button test says FC 21 and 22 the 'sun sensor' ( that little black thing on the dash I assume?) Now what do I do? I can't find any info on removal or refiting. Any ideas?

coolcat
19th December 2011, 21:25
Good grief that's an old thread you've resurrected !!
Sounds like you may have a problem with the thermostat if your not getting any heat when the engines warm.
I'm sure more technical bods will be along in a while.

T-Cut
19th December 2011, 21:47
Yea I saw the title

Pyramid shaped black object

and thought blimey!

Has it landed? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CpAMEAwmq0

TC

fingermissing
8th April 2012, 18:23
Is it needed as i have just broke mine when cleaning dash .The thing just came away with the cloth:mad::( .So its now in the ashtray .Is it easy to refit .THANKS

pab
8th April 2012, 18:28
Did you manage to retain the sensor itself or did it drop down into the top of the dash?

fingermissing
8th April 2012, 18:30
What dose the sensor look like ?

Villa Villan
8th April 2012, 21:56
What dose the sensor look like ?
Well I thought it was a blank for light sensors, you learn something new everyday on here...I looked it up and found a picture on here fella... http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=282748

Cheers
Tony

fingermissing
9th April 2012, 15:41
Well I thought it was a blank for light sensors, you learn something new everyday on here...I looked it up and found a picture on here fella... http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=282748

Cheers
Tony

Yes got that thing thats what came away with the cleaning cloth .