PDA

View Full Version : Curious noise.

Raistlin
24th September 2010, 11:01
I wonder if anybody can help with this one please.

When the car is turning slowly with full left lock there is a sort of rubbing noise which stops as soon as I let some of the steering off.

It isn't a mudflap on the ground as it happens on level as well as sloping surfaces.

I've had a look behind the wheel and nothing seems to be showing signs of wear so I'm at a loss.

Raistlin
24th September 2010, 18:58
Nobody got any ideas? :shrug:

eddiemc05
24th September 2010, 19:28
Could it be that power steering pump noise that lots of cars have, is it when rolling or when stationary? Open bonet to see if its louder.

Raistlin
24th September 2010, 19:30
It occurs only when moving. Sounds as if the wheel is rubbing on something but no sign of wear or witness marks.

chrislloydie
24th September 2010, 19:46
I had a similar problem being caused by the brake pad sensor wire having too much of a loop in it and rubbing on full left lock if that makes sense? Fixed with a cable tie.

is the wheel arch liner fully secured?

Raistlin
24th September 2010, 19:55
The inner arch panel seems secure Chris. I'll have a look at the wire. Thanks :)

Phil
24th September 2010, 20:41
I have had dry CV boots causing this before.

Phil
24th September 2010, 20:44
It could also be a backplate contacting the disc.

Raistlin
24th September 2010, 21:07
It could also be a backplate contacting the disc.

Thanks Phil. Would that only happen on full lock?

Phil
24th September 2010, 21:10
Thanks Phil. Would that only happen on full lock?

Oddly enough, yes I have come across that. It doesn't make much sense though does it! Worth ruling out at least.

Raistlin
24th September 2010, 21:48
Oddly enough, yes I have come across that. It doesn't make much sense though does it! Worth ruling out at least.

OK, how can I test it please Phil?

Phil
24th September 2010, 21:58

Really depends on the noise, but if it sounds possible, jack it up, remove the front wheels and make sure there is a clearance between the disc and the backplate. If you can make the backplate touch the disc with light finger pressure, it is too close.

Raistlin
25th September 2010, 08:53
Thanks Phil, I'll have a look over the weekend :)

chrissyboy
25th September 2010, 18:32
jack car up and put wheels on full lock then spin if it is that your hear that noise . i think it is to do with the steering pump /rack .turn on engine and put on ful lock to see if it happens then ..