PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostics

Gate Keeper
24th September 2010, 11:45
Yesterday was the first day day out since having the boot fuel pumps replaced the day before. London to Devizes and back. 230 miles round trip.
A yellow engine warning light flashed up on the M4 in heavy rain.

I had a diagnostics check done at ATS in Marlborough for £29 - not bad.

Results = Both Front Wheel ABS sensors, Fuel pump pressure LOW, Heat plug - LOW Reading, Mass Air Flow sensor.

Mmmmm the fault light was cleared and did not come back on again and I took it carefully. I will let it run for a few days to see if the on board computer learns to re-adjust itself to recent repairs. However, the ABS sensors will need checking. I expect there is something here about them :)

Matt1960
24th September 2010, 12:44
Might some of the faults be old ones, that had never been cleared?
But if so, I would not know which was the one that sparked the warning light, although I doubt whether abs sensors would.
Matt

keir1163
25th September 2010, 08:12
Hiya,
best buy yourself a cheap code reader, normally on fleabay for £15. It will clear the codes at least and normally shows any new ones although sometimes it shows a fault but will not give it a code.

Gate Keeper
25th September 2010, 09:37
Thanks Kier and Matt :}

The reader ATS used was portable and made by Bosch OBD2 and you are right, it did not show any codes, other than highlight what it had discovered. Since the light was cleared, I have driven nearly 250 miles and it has not come up again. I had thought about getting a code reader, but I do not know which one to go for? The garage i usually go to - a local one charge £100 for diagnostics which is a rip off! and when I had a Mazda go wrong, the diagnostics was £200 I had been surprised that the old codes has not been cleared and it not like money grows on trees. I would be far better off having my own reader and learning about it..but not sure what to go for?

keir1163
25th September 2010, 10:43
Hiya
i bought this one which works on petrol but for some reason does not do me deisel........but that may just be me.Its basic but reads and resets which is what i want it for. Although i may go for the next one up..........search rover code reader

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-II-EOBD-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-UK-/270587523867?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f0045f31b

rossocorsa
25th September 2010, 10:47
Hiya
i bought this one which works on petrol but for some reason does not do me deisel........but that may just be me.Its basic but reads and resets which is what i want it for. Although i may go for the next one up..........search rover code reader

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-II-EOBD-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-UK-/270587523867?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f0045f31b

I thinkl diesels were not fully compliant until 2004 my 2003 will show some r4edaings but not all is yours an earlier car?

keir1163
25th September 2010, 11:06
I thinkl diesels were not fully compliant until 2004 my 2003 will show some r4edaings but not all is yours an earlier car?
Yeah mines a 53plate

Gate Keeper
26th September 2010, 09:23
Thanks for the tips Gentlemen :}

I am on an O4 plate and will check out for a Rover Code Reader. Cheers