PDA

View Full Version : Haynes confuses me ..

phil & helen
25th September 2010, 11:15
sometimes . Why do you need to remove engine top cover to get to the coolant bleed screw ??

grivas
25th September 2010, 16:38
follow Haynes manuals at your own risk!, there you have been warned!, these manuals are now nothing but poor quality expensive rubbish, just follow the advice given on this forum by people who really know the cars, put your HM in the bin.

Dragrad
26th September 2010, 00:58
Haynes were good about 20 years ago. But recently they have gone down hill and expanded into dubious (http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001)areas....:(

Plus H&S seems to have raised their concerns about "how to" certain actions. Hence their invariable comments of take the car to a dealer :(

HarryM1BYT
26th September 2010, 08:16
Yes, they did used to be very good indeed. I do still buy them, but mostly as a means to look at the pictures to get an idea of what I have to deal with, than how to actually do it.

I notice they now sell manuals for the Spitfire (the WWII fighter) and I think it was the Tiger Moth.

starbug2
26th September 2010, 08:55
Haynes were good about 20 years ago. But recently they have gone down hill and expanded into dubious (http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001)areas....:(

Plus H&S seems to have raised their concerns about "how to" certain actions. Hence their invariable comments of take the car to a dealer :(
yes i've ordered one for the USS Enterprise :getmecoat:.
as regard to the 75 even i have noticed some stuff that is not right with the history or wrong model type info etc :shrug: when doing some stuff :shrug:

rrobson
26th September 2010, 09:10
i too have bought them for reference as somethimes ti helps to have an explaination while on the job, not going back into the house every 2 secs. the best bit is the component breakdown, you cab see how everything connects together.
but the worst thing by a mile is what i found when i wanted to do the water pump.
"thak this, that and other bit off, now refer to section 4.3"
"do this now refer to section 6.12"
your forever chasing your tail. and alot is wrong or not required :rolleyes:

Dragrad
26th September 2010, 10:02
When I bought my car, I bought the Haynes manual. So far I have barely looked at it. I get all the info I need from the Club :D:D

And what I have downloaded probably equates to 5 Haynes manuals in volume ;)

RN3212
26th September 2010, 15:55
The Haynes Manual might leave a lot to be desired in ways,but the photos are a big help when you're delving into the unknown.It's handy to have it on hand when at the car.As rrobson said it saves having to go to the computer every few minutes to check something,or having to print off stuff and then having the pages blown around the garden.

rossocorsa
26th September 2010, 18:08
get the reprint of the proper manual well worth the extra for correct details and good diagrams even if it does assume you are a qualified mechanic!

ardvark
26th September 2010, 21:55
Ok then which is the best to get then? How much and where from?

rrobson
26th September 2010, 21:58
from what ive heared, the proper manual is mile better, but is around £40? it is about twice as thick though, and has everything in it (again, only what ive picked up)

rossocorsa
26th September 2010, 22:00
this one
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RP1012OE (http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RP1012OE)

but shop around as you may well find it for less it is printed version of the MGR CD I find it a lot easier in book format

T-Cut
27th September 2010, 11:39
And from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MG-ZT-M47R-TURBO-KV6-V6-NEW-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-/390232511450?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litte rature_ET&hash=item5adbab93da

sparkman
27th September 2010, 13:46

We could all use one of these!

Sparkman.

EnEnGee
1st October 2010, 12:47
The "other" manual referred to is a reprint of the workshop guide on the RAVE guide used by former dealers, and is published by Xpart. It is nearly 2" thick and has red cover. It covers all that the Haynes covers, and much much more, even to the extent that it explains how major body repairs are to be made, and how long they should take. My only gripe with it is that it is printed from the original RAVE pdf data that of course could be zoomed in and out on a PC. As a result, the photographs in the book are a little on the small side (though to be fair, I would say that about the Haynes also). Retails for around £40 though you may find it cheaper.

In defence, of the Haynes, I have found it helpful though have only had to use it for brake disc and pad replacements, and have, as said above is good for the photographs contained within. One error I did come across is the statement that the brake and clutch fluid have a common reservoir, which is not the case. There are also a couple of statements within that appear to be sourced from hearsay, rather than actual fact. An example is in the introduction where it states that "apparently" the Rover 75 was based on an outgoing BMW 5 series, which is an urban myth, and is not the case.

I think that the writers of the Haynes book might have had view of a copy of RAVE, as some of the wording is verbatim, for example the handbrake setting and adjusting procedure.