PDA

View Full Version : what to do-ron-ron?

stevehotshot
25th September 2010, 18:23
Hi folks, quite new on here..great site..have been considering the synergy 2, will have to check which MAF is fitted to my conn SE, but what i wanted to know, hopefully without causing too much of a stir, is..has anyone tried the "Drakebox" for around 89 Euros? Basically i need to know that ron's is the better box before spending the extra 100 quid...thanks guys in advance for help.:confused:

Phil
25th September 2010, 19:22
Hi, I don't own a diesel, nor have I any experience with a Ronbox, but I will say this.. I've never heard of a Drakebox but I have heard LOTS of good reports about Rons box.:)

Dave Goody
25th September 2010, 19:22
I think if you ask on here you will have a vote of 200 to 1 for the Ron Box:D

James.uk
25th September 2010, 19:42
As stated, the Ron box is a well tried and proven item on these forums.. :D

But I have never heard of a Drakebox either, so can't comment on that.. :shrug:

chrissyboy
25th September 2010, 19:45
for the extra £100 i would of thought it would be worth going for the ron box ,after all nearly every diesel owner has one so it has be well tried and tested .could cost you more than the £100 on the one there has no good reviews on if something goes wrong ,besides i believe ron is a fair trader and is very willing to help if a problem with the box accures .would you get that service with the other box ?the peace of mind you would get is surely worth it ,remember you get what you pay for ..

johnwh74
25th September 2010, 19:59
i have just bought a Cheetah tuning box from a member on here for a cheap price and i want to say its the best £30 i have ever spent.
It was easy to fit, just plugged into the fuel rail, it is adjustable too.

The difference in power and torque is unbelievable. I am very happy with this and i dont see any point in me going over to a ron box ( sorry ron) :D

john

chrislloydie
25th September 2010, 21:50
With a synergy 2 from Ron, you also get the added MAFAM though which compensates for MAF degradation and also allows you to use the much cheaper Pierburg MAF should you choose to do so.

bogmailer
26th September 2010, 20:27
I have fitted the Synergy 2 and the results are amazing. Great increase in power. Be careful about fitting a Pierburg MAF on a 2005 or later model as it can produce engine fault lights. I had to remove and refit the Bosch as I had P1101 & P1102 faults triggered by the Pierburg.

stevehotshot
1st October 2010, 18:02
Thanks for the feedback.. minds made up..do i have to find out which MAF i have fitted before buying Synergy 2? will it make a difference if the P'burg is already on car. .?

Wolves 75
1st October 2010, 18:10
If you have the p'burg maf already, im sure your car wont run as its only compatable with a ron box, pretty sure anyway......:o

HarryM1BYT
1st October 2010, 18:51
Thanks for the feedback.. minds made up..do i have to find out which MAF i have fitted before buying Synergy 2? will it make a difference if the P'burg is already on car. .?

If it runs OK at the moment and the MAF is plugged in [1], then it must be a Bosch unit. The cheaper PB MAF is only useable once the Synergy is fitted.

[1] The test for checking whether the MAF has failed is to unplug it - with it unplugged the car should then run OK (-ish), using the ECU's defaults.

Roverron
2nd October 2010, 10:02
If it runs OK at the moment and the MAF is plugged in [1], then it must be a Bosch unit. The cheaper PB MAF is only useable once the Synergy is fitted.

[1] The test for checking whether the MAF has failed is to unplug it - with it unplugged the car should then run OK (-ish), using the ECU's defaults.

It won't have a Pierburgh maf unless there is a mafam fitted as its a Merc part and needs either a Synergy 2 or mafam MF75p.

If there are no major flat spots, hesitations, smoke or very poor mpg then I'd suggest just a Synergy 2 first. You can the always fit a Pierburgh maf if and when you need one.

You can pay anything from under £100 to over £500 for a tuning box but if the dirt cheap ones are so good, why sell them at that price? Your 75 or ZT deserves better!

The Synergy 2 is unique in that it does also help with maf problems and allows the fitting of a Pierburgh maf (£68). This is not a 'cheap' maf, its an OEM Mercedes part and like all Pierburgh parts (they also make the under bonnet electric pump) are more reasonably priced than Bosch ones.

Ron

stevehotshot
5th October 2010, 20:16
thanks Ron!...plenty of info there, and just what i needed to know..thanks all...christmas is coming!;)