PDA

View Full Version : A rattle in my rover!

75ContempSE
26th September 2010, 09:27
Hello all,

I have a rattle in the engine of my 75. It is there every morning when i start the car and gets slightly worse under acceleration. As soon as the engine gets up to temp less than 2 mins the engine once again sounds sweet as if there is no problem.

So what could it be, bearing in mind how old the car is, its done 71k now and had cambelts done at 52k, all suggestions welcome.

Many thanks
Andrew

Dragrad
26th September 2010, 10:09
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.

chris75
26th September 2010, 18:57
Your car shouldn't be suffering engine wear at 71k ; I guess you had the cambelts done because it reached the 6 year trigger .
Could you be overdue an oil change ? I'm thinking of the hydraulic tappets .
There is also a fuel purge valve near to the throttle housing which can tap away very noisily whilst the car is on tickover .

75ContempSE
26th September 2010, 19:30
Its due an oil change been 9 months since last oil and filter change, but the noise i get goes away as soon as the engine gets up to temprature, which takes under 2 mins. from looking at other threads and getting my dad to stick his ear on the engine when i first started it this morning, i think the noise is coming from the manifold on teh top of the engine!!

Any more suggestions, could the need for an oil change cause this noise!!

Andrew

richardwjackson
26th September 2010, 19:45
I wouldn't worry about this too much personally. My ZT's have always sounded a bit 'tappety' when started cold.

If the noise remained when the engine was at temperature then i would start to be a little concerned.

75ContempSE
26th September 2010, 19:48
So am i right to presume that it will not do any harm to the engine if i just left it, i do want to change it, but i want a low mileage estate in 75 or zt guise and has to be a high spec auto, so if i can leave it i will.

Would this fix the problem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-ZT-V6-KV6-ROVER-45-75-UPPER-INLET-MANIFOLD-/130400729455?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5c7d396f

Thanks

andrew

richardwjackson
26th September 2010, 20:01
So am i right to presume that it will not do any harm to the engine if i just left it, i do want to change it, but i want a low mileage estate in 75 or zt guise and has to be a high spec auto, so if i can leave it i will.

Would this fix the problem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-ZT-V6-KV6-ROVER-45-75-UPPER-INLET-MANIFOLD-/130400729455?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5c7d396f

Thanks

andrew

I wouldn't go buying that just yet :} Get it checked out mate.

As stated it could be just the the waste petrol vapour recycle (solenoid) valve which makes a tappety noise on tickover. Thats just normal.

You could go along to the next Nano meet and ask some members to diagnose it for you?

rrobson
26th September 2010, 22:42
manifolds are a known common problem with this engine. just a terrible design.
have a read of this, it may shed some light on your problem

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69238

im pretty sure the fuel vapour recycle valve only really makes a noise when warm?
could be tappets but what you need to establish is if the tapping noise increaces proportional to revs. if it does, its probably the tappets. if it doesnt, its probably the manifold of the valve. but check the manifold as stated in the thread link above :)