PDA

View Full Version : Rover 25 question for the gurus Running bad

keir1163
26th September 2010, 11:47
Guys,
i also have a rover 25 that has an issue when it starts................anyone help?
When you start the car pulls away fine from cold but after about 800 yeards it seems to get 'bunged up'.......If you stop and rev , it runs fine, but as soon as you put it under load it runs as if its bunged up with now power.
Stop agian and put the rev's through it and it clears as the temp goes up.

i have changed the water temp sensor as i feel it is somehow heat related....yet it made no difference.

any help chaps?

dissy1810
26th September 2010, 12:04
what engine?

keir1163
26th September 2010, 15:17
1.4 chap,
bit of a mystery

chrissyboy
26th September 2010, 22:51
it needs a pukks service ..plugs leads fuel filter distributor car and rotor arm ,my other halfs 200 series was just the same ,changed all these parts and it is like a rocket now ..

Lates
26th September 2010, 23:05
If you have done the obvious like plugs / leads / temp sender take it into a mot station for an emissions test. be interesting to see if the oxy sensor is doing anything.

Frank Incensed
27th September 2010, 04:06
Exactly same symptoms with 214si. Cleaned distributor cap and it was OK for a while then symtoms returned. Turned out to be a miniscule crack in the cap.

keir1163
27th September 2010, 04:50
yes all the plugs are new..............
passed on emissions just
snap on tool shows no codes..........

didnt think it had a distributor cap?thought it was all electronic?

sworks
27th September 2010, 05:40
If you have done the obvious like plugs / leads / temp sender take it into a mot station for an emissions test. be interesting to see if the oxy sensor is doing anything.

:wot: On most cars when an oxygen sensor stops working you get no change in driving characteristics but the 200/25 do tend to feel like they are holding back

keir1163
27th September 2010, 07:18
Thats the weird thing.....it feels fine when driving , no holding nothing......just the initial start up thats a prob?

Frank Incensed
27th September 2010, 07:33
didnt think it had a distributor cap?thought it was all electronic?

So did I before it happened! I stand to be corrected, but as I understand it now, on the K16 engines it was only the VVC that didn't have a distributor because that engine needed belts at both ends of the camshaft.

Lovel
27th September 2010, 08:13
So did I before it happened! I stand to be corrected, but as I understand it now, on the K16 engines it was only the VVC that didn't have a distributor because that engine needed belts at both ends of the camshaft.

With the introduction of the 25/45 models the distributor was removed, at the same time the ignition coils were fitted to the top of the engine.

For me I would be looking at replacing fuel filter, and/or check out fuel pump pressure or fuel supply issues. With the engine cold it needs more fuel, and possibly demand is not being met.
Or ignition coils and leads, as they are subjected to heat and vibration by being mounted on top of engine.

How is the coolant level? after the engine has been left cool down overnight are there any signs of orange OAT coolant leaks at the front corners of engine just below exhaust manifold or on top of gearbox housing? As well as external Inlet manifold gasket leaks, the coolant can also enter internally via cylinders 1 or 4 leading to poor running when cold, which disappears when hot. What are the colour of the plugs?

Get your self down to your eco friendly scrappy and grab a bag of substitute parts for pennies, failing that I suggest a T4 session.

Lates
27th September 2010, 10:20
With the introduction of the 25/45 models the distributor was removed, at the same time the ignition coils were fitted to the top of the engine.

For me I would be looking at replacing fuel filter, and/or check out fuel pump pressure or fuel supply issues. With the engine cold it needs more fuel, and possibly demand is not being met.
Or ignition coils and leads, as they are subjected to heat and vibration by being mounted on top of engine.

How is the coolant level? after the engine has been left cool down overnight are there any signs of orange OAT coolant leaks at the front corners of engine just below exhaust manifold or on top of gearbox housing? As well as external Inlet manifold gasket leaks, the coolant can also enter internally via cylinders 1 or 4 leading to poor running when cold, which disappears when hot. What are the colour of the plugs?

Get your self down to your eco friendly scrappy and grab a bag of substitute parts for pennies, failing that I suggest a T4 session.

Good line of thought, cold engine with IMG failure can cause lumpy cold start. Top Kudos points !!:bowdown:

dissy1810
27th September 2010, 10:26
i would try cleaning the air idle control valve it could be sticking on startup

keir1163
27th September 2010, 14:59
Good line of thought, cold engine with IMG failure can cause lumpy cold start. Top Kudos points !!:bowdown:

Soorry geezers what is an IMG short for?

The head is sound, no coolant leak, levels all ok. New plugs were fitted recently by me..could i suppose be a coil pack?
I have a lambda sensor coming as when i read the Ohms today across the white wires it did not register.........now am i right in thinking that that is not good??!!

dissy1810
27th September 2010, 15:54
IMG inlet manifold gasket

keir1163
27th September 2010, 16:59
IMG inlet manifold gasket

being really blond then!should have known that!

I suppose it could be taking in air

buchanan
28th September 2010, 00:32
Had much the same problem with a friends car i fitted Ngk Platimum plugs £35, new leads, got fed up took it to the Local Rover Garage, they put rover plugs and leads on the car,driveing like a dream. Lucky Halfords took the plugs and leads back.

keir1163
28th September 2010, 07:29
Well i measured the Ohms across the Lambda and the Upstream one has gone open circuit ! So lets hope that is the fault

Lovel
28th September 2010, 11:45
Well i measured the Ohms across the Lambda and the Upstream one has gone open circuit ! So lets hope that is the fault

Data obtained from Just Lambda http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/mtypes.htm

Heater resistance - 2 to 6.5 ohms, between white wires
Output signal - oscillating 0.1 and 0.9 volts - black wire to earth with engine running and fully warmed up.