PDA

View Full Version : VIS Motor Question

Axact
26th September 2010, 12:04
Hi,

I recently had the rover 2.5 on a T4 and was told the rear VIS motor was working but the butterfly ? was not opening. Does this mean a replacement or is the item fixable ?
I seen to recall some really helpful pictures of the afore mentioned item on this forum but cannot seem to find them now, anyone got a link to pictures ?

David

RN3212
26th September 2010, 14:14
If you go to" Search This Forum",and type in VIS Motors you should get all the info you need.I stripped down my VIS motors Thursday and found one of the PCB Tracks had a break.I soldered in a piece of wire and it did the trick.It's a bit fiddly taking off the housing for the motors,I broke most of the clips but used a sealant when putting them back together,and seem to have no air leaks.

Axact
26th September 2010, 15:11
If you go to" Search This Forum",and type in VIS Motors you should get all the info you need.I stripped down my VIS motors Thursday and found one of the PCB Tracks had a break.I soldered in a piece of wire and it did the trick.It's a bit fiddly taking off the housing for the motors,I broke most of the clips but used a sealant when putting them back together,and seem to have no air leaks.

I did exactly what you suggested but could not locate:shrug:

stocktake
26th September 2010, 15:33
There are 2 Vis motors on your engine, balance and power. the balance one operates a flap and is situated to the left of the inlet manifold on the side.
The other is the power one, this operates the butterflies, it sits on the top of the inlet manifold, again to the left hand side.

As said, do a search for VIS motors or indeed put your name down to use the club tester I built. you will need to contact Actros for this.

RN3212
26th September 2010, 15:40
If it's the Butterfly that's giving trouble you should take out the Valve from the Manifold and see if it's stiff to turn.This seems to happen ,putting pressure on the motor.File down the edge of the centre rotating plate with a fine file or sandpaper until it's free to move,and this will take the pressure off the motor and will probably prolong it's life.