PDA

View Full Version : Mystery disconnected wire - any ideas

welshrat
26th September 2010, 12:08
Hi all, just done the bonnet release mod suggested on this site, I have noticed that the electrical wires comming from the black connecter under the O/S engine mount has been cut and taped, the wires comming up through the wheel arch are just left there. Any ideas what this wire is about, thinking possible sensor but not a clue really.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/welshrat/MG/mg001-1.jpg?t=1285502696

Its a 2003 MG ZT diesel model.

Thanxs

HarryM1BYT
26th September 2010, 12:26
If they are coming in from the wheel arch, then there are two possibilities - ABS sensor or brake pad wear sensor. The latter is more likely as the ABS would show a noticeable fault.

There is also the washer bottle pump and low water level sensor in that area.

Wolves 75
26th September 2010, 12:31
Pretty sure the black is brake pad sensor, blue is ABS

RN3212
26th September 2010, 16:03
It's probably the Brakepad Wear Indicator.If the light comes on it means the sensor has worn through breaking the circuit,so the warning light stays on.If the wires are cut and connected to one another,this restores the circuit and the warning light goes off.Probably done by the previous owner.

welshrat
26th September 2010, 17:11
Thank you very much, it was the brake pad sensor and the sensor on the pads is destroyed so probably done as sugested to turn the brake pad warning light off on the dash. Recently fitted with new discs and pads so need to remember to check visualy rather than waiting for the warning light to come on.
PS the advice about the bonnet release block is well worth doing, took about 5 mins.
Great site.
Regards.

Parker
26th September 2010, 19:07
Welcome to the site welshrat and a need to do mod already completed, if you haven't already done so check your plenums and check the spare wheel in the boot just in case you have a water leak.

welshrat
26th September 2010, 20:32
Hi, thanx for the welcome, sorted the boot leak out last weekend, again sound advice from this site (rear wing trim needed a drop of silicone on end securing bolt hole). Sorry to be so dull but what are plenums, I have come across this term several times but it means nothing to me, is there a specific thread I shoud be reading.
Regards,
John

suffolk boy
26th September 2010, 20:59
hi the plenums are the drains under the windscreen where your ecu lives if they are blocked (most are)your ecu has a bath and car can break down easy to do loads of info on here leave them at your peril:cool:

Dragrad
26th September 2010, 21:30
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.