PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap :- Question!!!

92 squadron
27th September 2010, 15:50
To all you technical boffins ONE question--- Will the engine from a Rover 25 1.8 Ltr fit into a 75 car:shrug:.
Obviously there are different bolt on bits. The only reason I ask is that the son-in-law has cooked his engine [head gasket] in his '75' and he has a chance of one from a '25'. for cheapish money.
Or if anyone has a good engine from a 75 for reasonable money please get in touch.
I look forwards to your knowledgeable answers.
Regards

keir1163
27th September 2010, 16:58
Hiya,
i think i am correct in sating that the standard 1.8 is the same however the Turbo has a different bottom end.

p.s
i love trains like you......had 2 hours on the footplate of Tornado the day before it was launched by Charles. Behind the scenes at york! FAB

tonybubble
27th September 2010, 17:14
Yes, should be no problem. I have put a 1.8 TF engine in a 75. I think that it does need to be the later coil pack engine, though - not the early distributor type.

92 squadron
27th September 2010, 19:11
Cheers folks, that makes things a little easier to think about engine swap.
Just a thought, as the engine in the car at the moment is running, albit not to good, would fitting a new H.G. solve the problem or could here be other things I should be aware of.
I think the whole problem stems from a duff water pump not curculating the water around the engine. Anyone heard of this before?
Regards

keir1163
27th September 2010, 19:22
Cheers folks, that makes things a little easier to think about engine swap.
Just a thought, as the engine in the car at the moment is running, albit not to good, would fitting a new H.G. solve the problem or could here be other things I should be aware of.
I think the whole problem stems from a duff water pump not curculating the water around the engine. Anyone heard of this before?
Regards

tricky one really..............generally i would say head gasket would cure alot but there could be any number of things.
when you say rough what do you mean?

92 squadron
27th September 2010, 19:34
Hiya,
i think i am correct in sating that the standard 1.8 is the same however the Turbo has a different bottom end.

p.s
i love trains like you......had 2 hours on the footplate of Tornado the day before it was launched by Charles. Behind the scenes at york! FAB
You are a lucky one.:drool4: You say you had 2 hours on the footplate, was that moving or stationary?
Why don't you join us. We are a small friendly bunch who are embarking on our first ten year boiler removal at The Nene Valley. We rebuilt it from scrapyard condition 1976-1998 but this time it will be a lot quicker as we have got all the bits that go with it, so we are looking at a turnround of 3 years If you can spare a few hours anytime we would welcome you into the fold. You don't need any experiance at all, if you don't want to get your 'ands dirty we need people for our sales stands at various venues around the south of England to raise the nessesary funds to be able to do the overhaul. The boiler alone is going to cost in the region of £80-£100k alone [you will get free entry and other benifits as well] Just to have a common interest in steam engines. Have a look at our web site Here (http://www.92squadron.co.uk) and see what you think. If you are as daft as us you be amongst likeminded people, honest we won't bite!!!!
Regards

92 squadron
27th September 2010, 19:36
tricky one really..............generally i would say head gasket would cure alot but there could be any number of things.
when you say rough what do you mean?
Like the usual missing a beat on tick-over and not a lot of power on take-of. But it doe's run quite sweetly once cruising considering the HG has gone.
Regards

keir1163
27th September 2010, 19:42
Like the usual missing a beat on tick-over and not a lot of power on take-of. But it doe's run quite sweetly once cruising considering the HG has gone.
Regards

sounds abit head gasket.... but could be a lambda? Have you have a compression test?

p.m you about 92

chrissyboy
27th September 2010, 21:30
sounds like coil packs to me ,ifthe head gasket had gone i doubt it would run so well ..

92 squadron
27th September 2010, 22:00
sounds like coil packs to me ,ifthe head gasket had gone i doubt it would run so well ..

OK someones going to come up with an idea that the back axle crown wheel has been nicked in a minute. But in all seriousness it is good to know about as many possibilities it could be. As the car was run for X miles without any cooling [it did NOT sieze] it got rather HOT with the oil cooking.
I have had a test done to varify the HG has 99% gone [sniffer test]. I have since put water into the system and it starts up ok, it's runs a bit lumpy on tick over but when driving you would not know anything was wrong. I am sure that the water pump has disintigrated and is not pumping water around the engine.
Regards

patrolman pete
28th September 2010, 13:40
You are a lucky one.:drool4: You say you had 2 hours on the footplate, was that moving or stationary?
Why don't you join us. We are a small friendly bunch who are embarking on our first ten year boiler removal at The Nene Valley. We rebuilt it from scrapyard condition 1976-1998 but this time it will be a lot quicker as we have got all the bits that go with it, so we are looking at a turnround of 3 years If you can spare a few hours anytime we would welcome you into the fold. You don't need any experiance at all, if you don't want to get your 'ands dirty we need people for our sales stands at various venues around the south of England to raise the nessesary funds to be able to do the overhaul. The boiler alone is going to cost in the region of £80-£100k alone [you will get free entry and other benifits as well] Just to have a common interest in steam engines. Have a look at our web site Here (http://www.92squadron.co.uk) and see what you think. If you are as daft as us you be amongst likeminded people, honest we won't bite!!!!
Regards

I know that it's off topic but when i first started working for the AA as a patrol back in 1997 , i got a request from one of our members to find him some engine oil for a Norton Rotory engined motorbike. On arrival at Washington services on the A1 , i asked to see his membership card and was stunned to see the surname Bullied. The gentleman was called David and he was the grandson of Oliver Bullied ex chief mechanical engineer of the Southern Railway. He told me of his early memories of being in Ireland riding on the trains with his grandfather. He was now a man of about early sixties and was heading to the south coast on route from Scotland on his motorbike and i remember us chatting about the Leader experimental locomotive as we topped up the oil. I was thrilled meeting this charming man.:D

92 squadron
28th September 2010, 23:06
I know that it's off topic but when i first started working for the AA as a patrol back in 1997 , i got a request from one of our members to find him some engine oil for a Norton Rotory engined motorbike. On arrival at Washington services on the A1 , i asked to see his membership card and was stunned to see the surname Bullied. The gentleman was called David and he was the grandson of Oliver Bullied ex chief mechanical engineer of the Southern Railway. He told me of his early memories of being in Ireland riding on the trains with his grandfather. He was now a man of about early sixties and was heading to the south coast on route from Scotland on his motorbike and i remember us chatting about the Leader experimental locomotive as we topped up the oil. I was thrilled meeting this charming man.:D

He is one of our vice presidents.

Lovel
29th September 2010, 06:03
OK someones going to come up with an idea that the back axle crown wheel has been nicked in a minute. But in all seriousness it is good to know about as many possibilities it could be. As the car was run for X miles without any cooling [it did NOT sieze] it got rather HOT with the oil cooking.
I have had a test done to varify the HG has 99% gone [sniffer test]. I have since put water into the system and it starts up ok, it's runs a bit lumpy on tick over but when driving you would not know anything was wrong. I am sure that the water pump has disintigrated and is not pumping water around the engine.
Regards

Lumpiness upon startup can be attributed to Inlet Manifild gasket failure (IMG) coolant enters cylinder 1 or 4. Combined with seepage of coolant(when engine is cold) along the front of the engine to just below the exhaust manifold or on top of gearbox housing. If you are loosing coolant, take a look of the plugs and note the differences in colour.

Cooked engines can be to varying degrees. After HGF, I have witnessed numerous K series engines surviving to fight another day and go on for many years with nothing more than a clean up and new head gasket all at a cost less than a service for a modern car i would like to add, however on the other hand I have seen one of them fail within 4,000 miles, despite lots of money thrown at it, in this case though the owner just kept running it with no sympathy for precision engineering at all.