PDA

View Full Version : Battery died! Not like that.... Just like THAT!! Huhuh

Starman
27th September 2010, 19:37
Evenin guys n gals.
First of my daft questions tonight.
My Bosch 75ah 720 heavy duty died over the weekend. Absolutely F L A T!

Have had it on charge for 9 hrs and the lickle window with the pop up "im done/help" indicator is still showing help.

So like you I'm thinking dead battery..... BUT... I have my spare on from my old saloon and albeit week-ish, today is also almost flat.

Questions are.... How long should I have the battery on charge before it should show signs of life?
And.... Would a spark from the battery terminals in the car indicate something is drawing current? Only I dont remember seeing it do that before when I've connected a new batt up.

Thanks guys I'm hoping it is the batt tbh.

Regards..... Steve

Parker
27th September 2010, 19:46
It seems to be the way, live one minute dead the next. Even if the battery is on charge it may not necessarily hold the charge. When connecting you may well get a spark but that doesn't mean there is enough power in it to turn the engine over. If you go to get a new battery they can put your old one on test to see if it's dead dead.

Starman
27th September 2010, 21:20
Cheers Parker, odd it just went but hey...
As I say with the other battery going flat overnight too, I'm a tad worried I've ot a short somewheres.
After a short trip tonight I noticed the speedo lights were pulsing in brightness at tickover. Not by much but quite noticeable..

HarryM1BYT
27th September 2010, 21:38
It depends how big the spark is....

When you first connect the battery, it is normal for them to draw a 'lump' of current, until the electrics settle down. Could you perhaps get an idea of how much the discharge is by wiring a small (6w) lamp in series between the battery post and the lug?

Normal discharge on a modern car, once all the electronics have gone into sleep mode, is less than 40mA.

[EDIT] Just noticed your later post...

Pulsing might indicate a fail/ing/ed diode on the alternator. That could also mean the alternator disharges the battery when the engine is not running.

Starman
27th September 2010, 21:55
Thanks Harry, I shall have a pop with a voltmeter. Was going to do tonight but just noticed I left out my trusty RadioShack meter in the rain today....C'est la vie mon amie...RIP

Do you know if the diodes are replaceable? Bet theyre not.. my kinda luck:(

It was quite a puff when I hooked up the old battery, with a waft of smoke from the terminal...only small. I dont ever recall having that before..

Thanks for the post Harry, I shall check it tomorrow after work..

Steve.

kissifer1972
27th September 2010, 22:52
Steve

Sounds to me like your glow plug relay has gone, leaving the glow plugs permanently on.

Happened to my previous CDT, remove the 100AMP fuse from the under bonnet fuse box before putting the battery back on, see if you still get the big spark.

Also see if it goes flat again.

Hope this helps

Chris

Starman
27th September 2010, 23:49
Good call cheers Chris. I shall have check of that.
I recall seeing that in the forum now that you say that.

Regards....Steve

crofts
29th September 2010, 00:07
So many varying tales of 75's and batteries.
In my case had no problems. Got in car and car cranked completely normally but would not start. Called RAC who put tester on to load battery. Tester said 'danger, do not load'. Conclusion...faulty battery.
Came back next day with new Bosch, connected up with no loss of codes etc. Problem solved.

Starman
29th September 2010, 00:37
They do seem an oddball item. Guess the only certainty is that eventually they WILL die!

Don't know how this sounds as I don't always trust the first person I speak to, when they have something to sell.

Went to Halfords. Chap tested battery and after being on charge for 8-9 hours was showing only 65% power and no faults internally. My cheapy auto charger was showing fully charged and the "I've finished cooking" indicator popped up buy went away.... Gone.!

He says get a new battery as this may show the battery has lost is ability to hold a charge.

I've put it back on now to see how quick the drain is.

Cheers and regards. Steve.

chrissyboy
29th September 2010, 06:51
Evenin guys n gals.
First of my daft questions tonight.
My Bosch 75ah 720 heavy duty died over the weekend. Absolutely F L A T!

Have had it on charge for 9 hrs and the lickle window with the pop up "im done/help" indicator is still showing help.

So like you I'm thinking dead battery..... BUT... I have my spare on from my old saloon and albeit week-ish, today is also almost flat.

Questions are.... How long should I have the battery on charge before it should show signs of life?
And.... Would a spark from the battery terminals in the car indicate something is drawing current? Only I dont remember seeing it do that before when I've connected a new batt up.

Thanks guys I'm hoping it is the batt tbh.

Regards..... Steve

worked on a car recently which was showing the same signs ,except it wouldnt start also..the new batterys put on it just went flat in over nig ..turned out to be the feul pump relay was drianing the battery and was the cause of it not starting ,so the glow plug relay is a good call.