PDA

View Full Version : bulb clip missing

oldyellow
28th September 2010, 09:05
I decided to give my ZT-T some nice new headlight bulbs before the onset of winter and everything was going well until I got to the last one the dipped bulb on the nearside. To my horror I found the spring retaining clip missing snd some @rsehole had put tape over the back of the wiring plug to hold the bulb in situ :eek: :mad: Does anyone know if the clips are available and if so a part number or is it time for a trip to a scrappy :(

T-Cut
28th September 2010, 11:31
Not available as a spare part. Only solution is a new lamp or what you suggest. And refitting them is a devil of a job. Here's how they go in.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/BulbClip-1.jpg

TC

oldyellow
28th September 2010, 12:15
Cheers for the info and the pic :bowdown:
Looks like a trip to the scrappy is on the cards then !

Sharky
4th October 2010, 14:48
I had the same problem but a kindly member had a spare which he let me have.
Fitting the clip involved the removal of the bumper after 3 mechanics failed to stick their tongues out far enough to fit it via the access panel.
Good luck at the scrappers as my local breaker wouldn't sell one without the headlight!

I'm told you can make one from a jumbo paperclip if you can't get hold of one!

windrush
4th October 2010, 15:41
This happen to me and the Rover agent said it would have to be a new lamp but lucky me they found the clip inside the headlamp when removed ready to fit a new lamp

oldyellow
4th October 2010, 20:25
I'm pleased to report my visit to the scrappers was successful, new bulb clip installed car now has 2 horns & illuminated sun visors all for the sum of £20 so all in all a very worthwhile trip :D Problem is the guy who owns the place makes up the prices depending on the mood he's in BUT I got what I wanted when he was in good form :}

rik007
21st November 2011, 09:39
I had the same problem but a kindly member had a spare which he let me have.
Fitting the clip involved the removal of the bumper after 3 mechanics failed to stick their tongues out far enough to fit it via the access panel.
Good luck at the scrappers as my local breaker wouldn't sell one without the headlight!

I'm told you can make one from a jumbo paperclip if you can't get hold of one!

Cheers for this info .. it really helped me out yesterday when trying to change the dipped beam bulb on the drivers side; the spring promptly came away in my hand!

There was no way I could get the darn thing back in place, so rather than spend hours fiddling around, I read this thread. Then removed the bumper and headlamp unit. Which is surprisingly simple just a bunch of bolts, screws and plastic clips.

With the headlamp out it was easy to reinsert the spring, put the bulb and put it all back together.

I rather suspect this might be the way forward for all future bulb changes! They sure don’t make it easy to change headlamp bulbs these days, unless of course the manufacturers have evolved a swivel joints in their figures and they just enjoy making is a tricky as possible to change out a basic safety item. :)

Cheers, Rich.