PDA

View Full Version : How do i prevent turbo failure?

sara.go
28th September 2010, 19:13
I have just repaired my head gasket and got my MOT, after a new exhaust. I read somewhere on here that turbos can blow after a HGF. At the moment it seems to be working ok, I've driven it about 10 miles. Should i get it overhauled or is there something i can put in the engine to prevent damage, or would it have already failed if it was going to. There is a wee bit of water dripping from the tailpipe too Is that normal?
:D
Thanks

simdel1
28th September 2010, 19:23
I'm no expert, but i would imagine that one of the main things that would kill a turbo after a HGF would be water getting into the oil. This would lead to the oil not being able to lube and cool the turbo leading to turbo bearing failure.

pab
28th September 2010, 19:26
i have moved this thread to the correct location and left a redirect.

during HGF coolant is usually dumped into the exhaust and it's first port of call is the turbo,the bearings and the shaft in the unit suffer.

you mention your is performing ok,you could have it checked out for piece of mind.

sikelsh
28th September 2010, 19:34
My turbo went about 4 - 5 weeks after the head failure, for me, after the head went, the car just didnt seem the same, it didnt seem to have enough power.

So my answer was to get an AA breakdown repair cover, thank god I did as I was treated to the WW2 smoke effect from my exhaust, a proper repair is £500+ of which the AA covered £475

So my answer to preventing the turbo going, you cant, but get the warranty now, as there is a 14 day cool off period.

Simon

T-Cut
28th September 2010, 21:46
Lack of coolant is a major cause of turbo failure. If the HG fails and coolant is lost, the turbo may suffer over-heating and seal failure. Ensure the small bore pipework to the turbo cooling jacket is sound.

TC

chrissyboy
29th September 2010, 07:17
you cant prevent anything happening to the turbo ,but you can look after it a bit .when parking allow engine to tick over for 30 seconds ,that will cool the turbo before turning of the engine ..when i bought my car the head gasket had just been done .there is no record of the turbo being replaced and i have had no trouble with the turbo the 15 months i have owened the car at all.as said check the pipe work is in good nick

jcwatrichmond
29th September 2010, 07:46
Hello Sara? Only some turbos are affected by HGF. I had my head gasket changed after failing five years ago and my turbo is still fine. I depends on how badly the head gasket failed in the first place.
Don't worry about water from the exhaust pipe that's just normal condensation now that the weather's getting colder. After a long journey when the exhaust is hot you won't see it.

JCW

Gate Keeper
1st October 2010, 11:41
I have a 2002 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 TD a 4JX1 engine which was notorious for the fuel injectors failing (up to a certain Vin) and Isuzu still has a campaign recall running for the problem. What I have not seen here in the UK is a turbo timer, which is fitted to the Bighorn with the control box linked from the dashboard. After the ignition is switched off and the key is removed, the engine runs idle for 30 sec - 1 minute. This preserves the integrity of the turbo and prolongs its life by cooling it down every time. It is no bigger than two match boxes put together. Just a thought! Sadly to say, my 75 has proved less reliable than the Isuzu.