PDA

View Full Version : Spead Dial not working

jw258
28th September 2010, 21:13
My speed gauge doesn't move on my car.

It was standing flat for over a year. The rev gauge wasn't responding either, but after 30mins of idling it decided to come on, and responds all the time now.

I've read about problems with the ABS sensor causing signal problems to the speed gauge. Is this correct? The car failed the mot because of break issues, they all need replacing, including sensors. Would this remedy the spead gauge issue?

T-Cut
28th September 2010, 21:42
The speedometer is fed its signals from the front offside ABS sensor. If that signal fails for some reason (bad sensor/bad connection) the speedo will stop working. This is usually accompanied by an ABS warning on the dash screen (?).

TC

jw258
10th October 2010, 20:00
The speedometer is fed its signals from the front offside ABS sensor. If that signal fails for some reason (bad sensor/bad connection) the speedo will stop working. This is usually accompanied by an ABS warning on the dash screen (?).

TC

I don't suppose anybody could show me where I can get one of these from?

Is the sensor the same that comes in this pack:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-AND-PADS-SENSORS-/220296559435?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item334ab2bb4b#ht_4181wt_1139

Greeners
10th October 2010, 20:06
I don't suppose anybody could show me where I can get one of these from?

Is the sensor the same that comes in this pack:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-AND-PADS-SENSORS-/220296559435?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item334ab2bb4b#ht_4181wt_1139

Nope...thats a brake warning sensor...you need a Front ABS Sensor

jw258
10th October 2010, 20:09
Nope...thats a brake warning sensor...you need a Front ABS Sensor

So this then?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ROVER-75-MG-ZT-FRONT-R-L-ABS-SENSOR-SSB000150-/200520441945?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eaff32059#ht_4249wt_1103

Is there any reason, other than greed, for the prices being so varied?

mark d3
10th October 2010, 20:17
thats the one just make sure you buy a front sensor i bought 2 of this seller recently quick delivery

Greeners
10th October 2010, 20:29
So this then?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ROVER-75-MG-ZT-FRONT-R-L-ABS-SENSOR-SSB000150-/200520441945?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eaff32059#ht_4249wt_1103

Is there any reason, other than greed, for the prices being so varied?

Some are genuine, some are copies......ABS sensors are more expensive then brake sensors...

EnEnGee
12th October 2010, 11:36
The genuine article is made by Siemens, and has Rover moulded into the sensor head. Earlier versions I have seen had BMW written on the cable markings, so I assume it is a common part, probably with the 3 Series though can't confirm.

They can be a bit troublesome to remove, so lots of Plusgas, and don't be too brutal pulling on it, or the sensor could break off (guess how I know!). If this happens, you can either try to drill it out, or in my case I bashed it out fragment by fragment with a screwdriver and a hammer.

Both the sensors I have had to change have been due to the cable coming adrift of its clip and flapping around so the tyre eventually wears through the cable and the ABS light comes on/ speedo fails. I have loosely calbe tied the sensor cable to the break hose, so even if if comes adrift again, it will be restrained enough to prevent the cable being cut again.

jw258
11th February 2012, 09:19
Should replacing the sensor not fix the speedo, then i've been advised that it could be the ECU not working properly. What would I need to replace in this case?

(Reminder: The car has been sat on a drive for 3 years sorn)

bl52krz
11th February 2012, 16:10
Should replacing the sensor not fix the speedo, then i've been advised that it could be the ECU not working properly. What would I need to replace in this case?

(Reminder: The car has been sat on a drive for 3 years sorn)
Hi Have you checked the plenums for water? If they are dry, and there isn't any"tide mark" on the case of the ecu, it may be just the sensor. Best of luck.