PDA

View Full Version : V6 temp guage fluctuation

STUBIE
29th September 2010, 17:36
V6 has fluctuating temp gauge (and ODB readout), never past 9:00am but up and down from that point.

Fan was on after car locked yesterday and ODB reading -128 but a reset of the battery seems to have sorted that.

Today I took for a spin and gauge is bouncing between 6 and 9 o clock.

Is temp sensor knacked and where is it on a V6?

Stubs

jn12
29th September 2010, 17:51
Hi Stubs,

Mine had similar problems, turned out to be the wire to the temp sensor but i replaced the sensor too. unfortunatly it is located right in the Vee of the engine and one inlet manifold has to come off! :(

Have you had the thermostat replaced recently? This could be knacked or an air lock.

John

STUBIE
29th September 2010, 17:58
Yes I have had a new stat and the mechanic re-fitted a inlet manifold gasket a couple of weeks ago but it's been behaving itself perfect. I have discovered his week being a lot colder that the heater matrix was not giving out hot air and I turned the fans up on them as I read this could cure any blockage in them.

At the weekend I swapped the new battery over from the V6 to the CDT so I could move it out to jump start it but have not switched them back. Before that it was running fine on Saturday morning.

Stubs

jn12
29th September 2010, 18:15
I think this could be sensor related, possibly the wire. When my stat was done the wire got caught and started to earth causing the gauge to display similar behaviour to yours. Funny as it ran fine for month's before playing up! although it was using a bit of water and i could smell fumes has not since, I presume the wire had got slightly in the inlet manifold.

The heater matrix is almost impossible to unblock in the car, recently removed mine and descalled and flushed. Now red hot!

Is the battery differant power wise? these cars can be senstive electrical wise especially if if a battery has not got much go in it!

John

STUBIE
29th September 2010, 18:19
Yes The battery I swapped over from the Diesel has given up the ghost a few time I have been working on it, just leaving the door opens seems to drain it. I will swapp the batteries back over and see if i can see any wiring issues.

Stubs