PDA

View Full Version : kv6 fan operation

Rich978
29th September 2010, 19:25
Just a quick post for some advice on the fan operation, just read up that they should have 3 speeds? I have a 2litre kv6 and from inside the car seems to be only one setting coming on seems to be on high? Does any one know if the lower speeds are noticeable from inside the car? Also my fan doesn't seem to stay on after the ignition switched off as i read they should so not sure if theres a fault there

stocktake
29th September 2010, 19:33
Hi Rich, the fan speeds spoken about are relating to the cooling fan in front of the radiator, not the cabin fan.

you may have a two speed or three speed fan look through the front grill and at the 2 0'clock position you are looking for a silver resistor around 75mm long. if you see this you have the more reliable two speed fan, if not you have the older three speed and less durable one. Do a search on here to establish the fan operation for your type :)

Rich978
29th September 2010, 19:43
okay mate thanx i probably worded that bit wrong i meant the outside fan when it kicks in seems to be always on the same speed? and doesn't seem to stay on when ignition is turned off? So i'll have a look try and see what type of fan mine has, its on a 2002 reg

T-Cut
29th September 2010, 20:46
A 2002 model will have a 3_speed system unless it's been replaced with the later version. When does the fan 'kick in'? Do you mean in conjunction with the aircon system or when engine cooling is required?

The operation of the earlier V6 fan has been fully documented in this thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1371

TC

Rich978
29th September 2010, 21:02
It kicks in with the engine temp all the time but just seems to me its always the same speed so wasn't sure if the lower speeds are working but not noticed? It works ok when the a/c is put on aswell seems to all work alright

T-Cut
29th September 2010, 21:04
The link I gave you explains how/when each speed is tripped on.

TC

Rich978
29th September 2010, 21:14
cheers for that mate i'll go and have a look on that link, thanx again for your time and advice.

rrobson
29th September 2010, 21:35
it will more than likley be the low speed one coming on, especially if its staying on and its not imtermitant. the low speed fan on mine always seemed quite fast but i can assure you, when the medium and high speed fans come on, you really do know about it (you can hear the high speed in side the cabin when doing 70 on the m/way) however the medium speed is still difficult to hear from inside even at low speeds. these two of course shouldnt really ever have to come on (only when youve got major problems like me :o)

Rich978
30th September 2010, 21:39
ok mate thanx for your advice also are the fans meant to run on after switching the engine off? Mine never has or is that only if the engine temp is really hot?

T-Cut
1st October 2010, 00:02
The fan may run on after engine shut down if it's very hot. There's a heat soak control which allows the heat in the stopped engine to be absorbed. The fan may run quite a while after removing the ignition key.

TC