PDA

View Full Version : Just why did they..

phil & helen
1st October 2010, 11:08
on later models block the driver side Plenum drain off ??

stevemac
1st October 2010, 11:56

Because the one on the passenger side is lower and as long as it's kept clear the DS one is not needed.

phil & helen
1st October 2010, 12:14
hasn't that always been so ? Why put one in at all ?

Because the one on the passenger side is lower and as long as it's kept clear the DS one is not needed.

Matt1960
1st October 2010, 12:26
Maybe a cost cutting exercise, but how much does a hole cost?:}

Matt

windrush
1st October 2010, 12:30
I think the one on the drivers side was a lot higher than the others there for there was no purpose for it

stevemac
1st October 2010, 13:44
hasn't that always been so ? Why put one in at all ?

I guess that if the PS one gets blocked at least the DS side gives you a fighting chance :shrug:

crofts
2nd October 2010, 00:50
Only if water will run uphill I think you will find ! !

kaiser
2nd October 2010, 03:27
Only if water will run uphill I think you will find ! !

Which indeed it will, if the lower is blocked.

The reasonable question is obviously: why have a plenum at all, and if one must be had, why not try and keep water out? or, alternatively, why not make sure it does drain.

The answer to these questions and many others, regarding Rover, lack of foresight/experience, bad engineering, negligence, stupidity.

Well, they did pay the price. 100 years of proud history down the sink, or - ahem - in case of the plenum, still sloshing around.

stocktake
2nd October 2010, 06:09
A rubber bung was cheaper than a rubber drain (project drive) end of story really :(

HarryM1BYT
2nd October 2010, 07:00
So are we saying then...

That my 2004 Mk II doesn't have (or should not have) the drain under the centre of the brake servo - the one Jules suggested should be there and which I have been trying to find with a mirror for the past few weeks - is not actually there to be found?

:bowdown:

phil & helen
2nd October 2010, 07:10
March 2003 , before the cost cutting I thought !!!

A rubber bung was cheaper than a rubber drain (project drive) end of story really :(

pab
2nd October 2010, 07:29
on later models block the driver side Plenum drain off ??it was deleted during project drive,the inner wing is to high for the water which runs off the windscreen to be caught by this drain.
i have fitted a plenum tube and i did an experiment to see what water does pass this area,and i would say about 30% goes down the tube and the rest into the plenum.
suppose the tube is better in place than the grommet,so i used the grommet for the splash shield spyhole mod.

stocktake
2nd October 2010, 09:19
So are we saying then...

That my 2004 Mk II doesn't have (or should not have) the drain under the centre of the brake servo - the one Jules suggested should be there and which I have been trying to find with a mirror for the past few weeks - is not actually there to be found?

:bowdown:

Nope, the one you are looking for is there :) we are talking about the high level one just at the base of the wind screen :)