PDA

View Full Version : My rattling caliper

downcows
1st October 2010, 12:42
Hello everyone, I have had a rattle on my car for a while that I have isolated to the nearside rear caliper. The brake pad nearest to you seems to have too much movement within the caliper and so moves around and rattles.

I have checked the other side and the pad doesn't move as much by trying to move it by hand.

The caliper has the anti-rattle spring/retainer in place so i'm just wondering why it is rattling?

I'm thinking that the anti-rattle clip/spring may not be fitted right?

Are they a pain to take off and put back on and does this clip clasp the pad in place from underneth somehow to stop it rattling?

Just thinking someone may have not put the clip back properly after brake pad replacement.

Anyway any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated before I have a look tomorrow, if it stops raining that is!

Cheers, Dave

rapid6
1st October 2010, 13:07
I had this with my offside rear recently. now im not saying this is the official way to deal with it, however i got a very small tie wrap and looped it through the brake pad holder and over the pin. worked a treat...no more rattle and everything works as it should, before doing this i checked all the usual things and everything was fitted correctly but i still got the rattle, i reckon they are just poor fitting pads

downcows
1st October 2010, 13:16
Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm having a bit of a hard time envisaging this solution.

Sorry I know it's hard to explain sometimes but to be fair it's probably my limited knowledge that's making hard to imagine.

Do you have a pic by any chance?

Cheers, Dave