PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulbs

paicey
2nd October 2010, 16:14
Hi guys, sorry to ask (possibly) a very silly question but what type of dipped beam headlight bulb should I use? I know it's a H7 bulb but there are loads to choose from and seem to get very expensive. My drivers side one has blown and a sticker under the bonnet says halfords extreme brilliance, but they are £25 a bulb..... Is there a cheaper alternative? I like the bright white look, there are ones on flea-bay saying xenon but I am kinda unsure.
Any help would be great, thankyou.

Tatts
2nd October 2010, 16:22
Halfords usually have a buy 1 get 1 free offer on bulbs. Might be worth checking online, then you'll have a spare for when the other side blows!

paicey
2nd October 2010, 16:26
Thanks for the reply, is there a reason that rovers blow bulbs so often? Most rovers I see have one or another bulb blown.

Tatts
2nd October 2010, 16:52
is there a reason that rovers blow bulbs so often?

Good question. Wish I knew the answer! :)

My ZT has been pretty good lately, but my ZR has an appetite for bulbs like no other car I've owned!

Jakg
2nd October 2010, 17:48
Dont get Xenon bulbs - they are rubbish.

Xenon bulbs = cheap Chinese bulb, filled with Xenon instead of a vacuum. Burns a little brighter, lasts less time. No massive improvement.

Proper Xenons (i.e. HIDs) = Win.

Headlight wise I use (for main beam) Osram Nightbreakers - Philips Xtremes are also good, but too many fakes around. For dipped beam, I use HID's - a set of replacement "bulbs" is £15, and they last longer and you can see much much better.

paicey
2nd October 2010, 18:39
Dont get Xenon bulbs - they are rubbish.

Xenon bulbs = cheap Chinese bulb, filled with Xenon instead of a vacuum. Burns a little brighter, lasts less time. No massive improvement.

Proper Xenons (i.e. HIDs) = Win.

Headlight wise I use (for main beam) Osram Nightbreakers - Philips Xtremes are also good, but too many fakes around. For dipped beam, I use HID's - a set of replacement "bulbs" is £15, and they last longer and you can see much much better.

Don't you need the projector lenses for these though? And ballasts and wigets and dooberies? Where is the best cheap place? Thanks

Jakg
2nd October 2010, 19:14
Don't you need the projector lenses for these though? And ballasts and wigets and dooberies? Where is the best cheap place? ThanksFor proper HID's, you need a ballast (burner, or ignitor - has many names) and the bulbs. Bulbs are simple to fit (same as your current ones), and you just need to mount the ballasts near the headlights.

Takes about 5 minutes extra per side over replacing the bulbs (the hard part!), and a complete conversion kit costs ~£45.

You don't *need* projectors, but it's ideal. You can get special H7R HID's designed for reflectors.

I got mine from eBay.

COLVERT
2nd October 2010, 22:17
Thanks for the reply, is there a reason that rovers blow bulbs so often? Most rovers I see have one or another bulb blown.
I think it's the bulbs that are the trouble not the cars. So much cheap rubbish about nowadays it's hard to chose the good ones.
I've only had one go in three and a half years with my R75.

Colvert.

:D:D:D

windrush
3rd October 2010, 09:22
What ever you do Neil dont buy cheap replacement bulbs they just wont last

jaffo
3rd October 2010, 18:24
buy phillips powerplus types they are mega bright without dazzling and last a very long time too...the 50 plus versions are esp good

my first mg ztt had them fitted and they were more effective than the real xenons on the 75 i had after....