PDA

View Full Version : More boot leaks

Admiral
2nd October 2010, 16:31
Hi all

I have just discovered another leak on the nearside inside the boot.
After the recent heavy rain I put my hand up insde the boot behind where the bolts come through from the hinge that is bolted to the body and it was very wet.
my question is what is the best way of sealing this leak as it is difficult to get to. I wondered if taking each bolt out one at a time and siliconing all the threads when replacing the bolts as well as smearng the bolts where they come through on the inside.

I would be obliged to recieve any ideas on fixing this leak.
Regards

The Admiral

COLVERT
2nd October 2010, 21:48
Hi all

I have just discovered another leak on the nearside inside the boot.
After the recent heavy rain I put my hand up insde the boot behind where the bolts come through from the hinge that is bolted to the body and it was very wet.
my question is what is the best way of sealing this leak as it is difficult to get to. I wondered if taking each bolt out one at a time and siliconing all the threads when replacing the bolts as well as smearng the bolts where they come through on the inside.

I would be obliged to recieve any ideas on fixing this leak.
Regards

The Admiral

The leak is around the screen and that is where you have to seal it. There are a number of products on the market for sealing around windscreens. You need to use one of these.

Colvert.

:getmecoat:

Ragman
2nd October 2010, 21:52
So far to seal the boot I've......

Removed siliconed and refitted rear light units
Siliconed rear wing trim strips
Removed rear screen, replaced all 8 trim clims and replaced rear screen

Rear screen still condensates on the inside

COLVERT
2nd October 2010, 22:09

Have you done this work recently ??? Is it still maybe drying out. Can take a while.
Need some hot sunny days. Lol Some hopes !!

Colvert.

Ragman
2nd October 2010, 22:15
Couple of months ago - sadly

Still so far it has stopped the sat nav setting soaked

rossocorsa
2nd October 2010, 22:36

have you sealed the boot vents and checked that the rubber flaps aren't stuck open they are the source of intermittent Noah style floods difficult to check as they may not leak for weeks then in a downpour with the car parked at precisely the wrong angle your wheel well will be full. BMW part of course like almost every part that is bothersome on a 75!!

simdel1
3rd October 2010, 10:48
I had the side vents and the tail lights leaking one after the other on my car. A couple of times I suspected the rear screen because I was finding water on the metal under the parcel shelf and down the inside of the wing. I suspect it was just the water from the other leaks evaporating and then condesing on the coldest surfaces of the boot.