PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 Boot Lock Release

Martin75
15th November 2006, 01:41
I have an '04 (facelift) 75 CDTi SE Conossieur auto, with 4000 on the clock. When I press either the key fob button, or th interior boot release, the lock release sounds as if it's continuously revolving and, emits a rythmic Ber Lah, Ber Lah, Ber Lah etc sound.

Sometimes the boot releases, other times I have to hold the lid and flip it up in mid chorus to gain access.

Just to be obtuse on other occasions I get a nice little click and the thing works perfectly!

Has any one else experienced and/or remedied this deviant behaviour?

Martin

Mike
15th November 2006, 05:13
Open the boot lid and you will see a rubber stop on either side of the inside face.

Each stop is on a screw thread. Turn each one in or out a little until the noise/chattering stops.

hth

Mike

Alex30013k
15th November 2006, 06:17
Open the boot lid and you will see a rubber stop on either side of the inside face.

Each stop is on a screw thread. Turn each one in or out a little until the noise/chattering stops.

hth

Mike

I would say try tuning down to start with! lol

:cool:

Martin75
15th November 2006, 12:46
Mike,

Thanks for the help, I'll try it out and let you know. Definitely try 'tune down' first I think!

Many thanks,

Martin

Simon
15th November 2006, 15:33
Now when you say "rubber" stops. Are they actually rubber? Coz mine are just metal screws.... Could this be why my (2001 ZT) boot is having a similar problem despite the garage "fixing" it before I picked up the car?

Mike
15th November 2006, 15:58
Now when you say "rubber" stops. Are they actually rubber? Coz mine are just metal screws.... Could this be why my (2001 ZT) boot is having a similar problem despite the garage "fixing" it before I picked up the car?

err Yes! If you don't have the rubber stops then get them asap. They hold the boot lid in position so are quite important.

Simon
15th November 2006, 16:15
err Yes! If you don't have the rubber stops then get them asap. They hold the boot lid in position so are quite important.

Yes well... that would make sense... Right, I'm going to pop off down to the local garage now and have a few stern words with the service department...

I'll let you know what happens...

Dragon
20th December 2006, 13:06
Hello fellow members,
I am new to the forum and looking forward to taking part.
On the subject of this particular post I am assuming that the "rubber" stops are on the lock mechanism itself and not on the catch. I see there are a couple of screws that are next to what looks like two magnets either side on the lock mechanism with corresponding blocks either side of the central catch. So I guess it's the two screws on the mechanism.
Just wanted to get confirmation
Regards
Barry

Neil Coupland
20th December 2006, 13:33
Hello fellow members,
I am new to the forum and looking forward to taking part.
On the subject of this particular post I am assuming that the "rubber" stops are on the lock mechanism itself and not on the catch. I see there are a couple of screws that are next to what looks like two magnets either side on the lock mechanism with corresponding blocks either side of the central catch. So I guess it's the two screws on the mechanism.
Just wanted to get confirmation
Regards
Barry

Hi Barry

The rubber stops are on the underside of the boot lid, one on either side, and the press down into the drain section of the car's bodywork. They are not near the lock mechanism. I believe that they hold the boot lid under light tension when it is shut so that when you open it the catch will spring out of the lock and the boot will open. If it is going click, click, click then the rubber stops need to be screwed out slightly. I had the same problem and that cured it. Interestingly the problem only occured when it was cold.

hth

Neil:)

Dragon
20th December 2006, 13:42
Thanks Neil, I will go and have a look

Dragon
20th December 2006, 15:48
Thanks, lock working fine now:)

MartinW
20th December 2006, 19:02
Here's a How-To (http://www.brit-cars.com/content/view/81/36/)with small picture showing the stop on the corner of the boot-lid.

willshot
8th January 2007, 11:16
I had this problem until today, screwed out stops a couple of turns and it works fine now, thanks.

Lav
16th February 2007, 22:06
useful tip - cured my clunking boot release :)

bizarely I used a teflon spray in the past and it cured the problem but after a few days the problem came back. This appears to be a permanent solution!

andyjshaw
17th February 2007, 10:10
I also have this problem - I will attack it later today and let you know what happens!
Thinking about it - I don't think I have the rubber stopes either. Does anyone know the part number?

andyjshaw
17th February 2007, 13:32
Found mine did have the rubbers on it and sure enough a little twist and the boot now pops open like new!

MikeB
17th February 2007, 14:59
New member, finding this site very useful. I had this boot problem on my 54 plate 75 CDTi, and adjusted the rubbers to fix. Now opens fine - but should the boot lid actually spring fully open on release, or just unlock and need lifting by hand? Mine just clicks and then has to be lifted.

Mike
17th February 2007, 15:18
New member, finding this site very useful. I had this boot problem on my 54 plate 75 CDTi, and adjusted the rubbers to fix. Now opens fine - but should the boot lid actually spring fully open on release, or just unlock and need lifting by hand? Mine just clicks and then has to be lifted.

Click and lift only :)

hth

Mike

Schotten
21st February 2007, 08:22
Great, try this myself as it sometimes does this. What would be needed to make the boot lid 'spring' open fully? Springs of some sort, anyone done it or tried it?

AdeC
5th June 2010, 06:36
Morning all :}

I am having the same problem with the boot on my 75, it seems to be worse when the weather is damp and cooler. Was a bit of a surprise as it worked fine when we went to look at the car and also the day we collected it.

After reading this thread, I looked at the inside of the boot (I didn't get right inside :D) but have yet to adjust the stops - is a job for today.
Will post again later, hope it solves the problem! :}

Anyway - I just want to say what a great forum this is, well done everybody!

iharrison
11th June 2010, 18:36
I have a Rover 75 connoisser CDT. The boot release button stopped working. As per forum I tried altering the two rubber cushions all to no avail. My answer is to depress the open button on the key fob at the same time press the boot release button. It worked for me.
Ivan