PDA

View Full Version : About alarm

versus
3rd October 2010, 08:22
When I press the key’s lock button - red flashing light in the instrument panel starts to flash and the direction indicator lights flash three times to confirm that the car is securely locked. I think it is working, but when I tried to touch the parts of the car, tried to move the car and to knocking in the wheels with legs nothing happens: no sound, no lights flash. Is that ok?:shrug: Maybe now only interior space protection is activated? And how to set the alarm in another mode? For example I want alarm work when someone will touch the car. Is it possible? Because when I am at work I park the car near the road and I am afraid that someone will scratch or hit it and I will not hear the alarm.:mad:

HarryM1BYT
3rd October 2010, 08:32
The alarm is not fitted with any external contact sensors and I don't think it can be. There was an option for a detector for motion inside the car, oter than that the standard alarm fitting just is just triggered by door, boot and bonnet sensors.

You can check the operation by locking the car and leaving a window open. Once the alarm is set, try reaching in to undo the door from the inside door release - it should trigger the alarm.

versus
3rd October 2010, 09:55
You can check the operation by locking the car and leaving a window open. Once the alarm is set, try reaching in to undo the door from the inside door release - it should trigger the alarm.

Thank you for advice, I will check tomorrow. I want more sensitive system and I feel that my car is inadequately protected and wish to do something. :shrug:

pab
3rd October 2010, 10:14
i think you will find the security system is adequate,deadlocks mean the doors cannot be opened from the inside in the event of a broken window and a sophisticated immobiliser is also fitted.
once inside the car with the system armed if anything electrical is touched the alarm will sound.

Dave Goody
3rd October 2010, 15:58
Thank you for advice, I will check tomorrow. I want more sensitive system and I feel that my car is inadequately protected and wish to do something. :shrug:

Try losing your key and you will find the car is very adequately protected:D

versus
6th October 2010, 10:00

I tried it today and when alarm is set the door can't be opened from the inside door release, but alarm not sound :shrug: Is nice to feel that system is working, but why alarm not sound? :shrug:

I tried only today, because on Sunday I broke my left leg :mad: Great thing is that my 75 is auto, I can drive it without problems :D

HarryM1BYT
6th October 2010, 10:20
I tried it today and when alarm is set the door can't be opened from the inside door release, but alarm not sound :shrug: Is nice to feel that system is working, but why alarm not sound? :shrug:

I tried only today, because on Sunday I broke my left leg :mad: Great thing is that my 75 is auto, I can drive it without problems :D

I just tried it too - and it didn't work, it was probably another car I was thinking of which worked that way, sorry....

Another way to test it, which definately works - open the bonnet and put something heavy on the button switch which detects whether the bonnet is open, close everything else up and lock it with the remote. Now wait a couple of minutes for the alarm to settle and become active, then remove the heavy object from the button switch - the alarm should trigger.

Tam
6th October 2010, 11:24
The method i was told to try was sit inside and lock car with fob , wait a minute then press the the unlock door button beside handbrake lever and alarm should sound . Unfortunately mine didn't make a sound apart from i could here the indicators flashing as if alarm had been triggered and you get a symbol on dash to show the alarm has triggered . Haven't investigated any further why no alarm sound on mine though so none the wiser ! .:shrug:

HarryM1BYT
6th October 2010, 11:54
I never thought to try the unlock button. By the sounds of it (or lack of sound), your sounder has failed. Mine has the battery backed sounder in the nearside plenum, I don't know where the basic sounder is if yours is a more basic one.

raykay
6th October 2010, 13:29
The alarm horn is fitted in the same place.

Cymrudragon
6th October 2010, 13:40
Taken from http://www.mgf-tf-central.co.uk/tt-electrics.shtml

Alarm

Testing

The alarm system can be tested by following the procedure described below:
Ensure doors, bonnet and the boot lid are closed.
Sit in the driver’s seat and close the door.
NOTE: The next three actions must be carried out within 2 seconds.
Depress the driver’s doorsill button.
Switch the ignition on, off and on again.
Raise the driver’s doorsill button.
If the test mode has been entered correctly, the horns will give a short beep and the engine immobilisation buzzer will sound.
Opening either door, the bonnet or the boot lid, or operating the driver’s doorsill button, will cause the alarm LED to illuminate for approximately one second. If the LED does not illuminate, there is a system fault.
The volumetric sensor can also be tested while in test mode. To test the volumetric sensor, press the unlock button on the remote handset several times. The alarm LED will illuminate for approximately 1 second each time movement is detected in the vehicle.
The test mode is cancelled by switching the ignition OFF

andrew....ps only if all mg alarms are the same?

raykay
6th October 2010, 15:41
Unfortunately the 75/ZT alarm system is totally different.