PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket failing

mcspider
4th October 2010, 18:16
Hello it looks as though my Head Gasket is failing; I’ve just had a full service plus a new cam belt and tensioners. Also 2 new coil packs fitted and a new rocker box cover gasket fitted to my 02 ZT-T 1.8 Turbo petrol. But im now lossing coolant and ive noticed that there is signs of moisture under the oil filler cap. There is also an oily feel to the water in the resiovour ive been quoted £600 as i only had the cam belt and tensioners fitted less than a week ago would they be ok and therefore shouldn’t’ the price less or would I need new all over again plus would the water pump have been done when cam belt was or should I ask for it to be done also is there anything else I should be asking many thanks Mark

mark d3
4th October 2010, 21:05
it may not be hgf you might well have a inter-cooler on the way,it is very common on turbo cars for this to happen i have a knackered inter cooler in my shed of a astra work van giving exactly the same symptoms

empsburna
4th October 2010, 21:15
How much coolant are you using?

Do you do short trips?

mcspider
4th October 2010, 21:17
Not alot realy and yes i dont do long journeys

mark d3
4th October 2010, 21:21
is it oily residue in your header tank black or greasy or mayonnaise? you will get water under the cap and antifreeze will feel greasy under normal circumstances

mcspider
4th October 2010, 21:27
no signs of any mayonnaise in tank or on dip stick or under the oil filler cap and its fresh green antifreeze uin the header tank due to service a week ago cheers

mark d3
4th October 2010, 21:32
i doubt its hgf, possibly a leak some where else BUT being a k it needs sorting asap do a search on here on k series cooling leaks

empsburna
4th October 2010, 21:38
I would certainly have a look at the inlet manifold gasket and the waterpump.

Keep a very close eye on it. Are there any dried coolant stains around the cap?