PDA

View Full Version : Auto Box

RN3212
4th October 2010, 19:20
Would I be right in thinking that an Auto Box is more sympathetic to an engine than a Manual Box,due to the fact that the gear changes are kind of pre-programmed to avoid labouring of the engine.

Robson Rover Repair
4th October 2010, 20:02
I would say whilst there are advantages, its when you have to make drastic driving it will effect the box most. Plus an any engine IMO can be driven hard, in my experience ive found autos where usually driven worse by people (lets not start an arguement about it either, its my experience as most auto in Ni are disabled cars for tax purposes) who forget they cant gear break, or try to do manual downshifting and such.

rrobson
4th October 2010, 21:07
not really. if you were driving in a smooth fasion and changing gear at appropriate revs etc, you would probably find they both affect the engine in the same way.

the only two fundimental differences between the auto and manual in this instance (and most others) is:

a - the ecu reduces power to the gearbox (especially when your booting it) just prior to changing gear to make a smooth change. in a manual you can be as smooth or aggressive as you like

b - in an auto, it has a planetary gear train, which means it cant miss gears out. if you want to go into 5th, the auto has to go through each gear. in a manual cou can go from 1st to 5th, but obviously by doing so you will put stress on the engine trying to pull the car at such low revs

so oin answr to your question in the real word, yes it probably will, but you havent got much of an option with an auto

Dragrad
4th October 2010, 22:25
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.