PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 VIS galloping noise

csw
6th October 2010, 07:28
There is a strangalloping noise coming from the manifold. It happens when the car is running and carries on when the ignition is turnd off. Disconnecting one of the VIS plugs stops it. Any ideas if it is the motors themselves or is the control unit?

SD1too
6th October 2010, 08:40
Virtually certain to be the actuator, a stiff balance flap or damaged power valve mechanism. Which actuator is it; the one facing the driver's side wing (balance) or the one mounted almost horizontally further towards the centre line of the car (power)?

Simon.

mantianak
6th October 2010, 18:50
Had this on mine a few times. One of the micro switches inside isn't working, probebly the soldering on it has come loose. The motor won't stop even with the engine off. It just forces the gears over each other which makes the galloping sound (good description). You need a new one or to repair the one you have.

stocktake
6th October 2010, 19:06
Had this on mine a few times. One of the micro switches inside isn't working, probebly the soldering on it has come loose. The motor won't stop even with the engine off. It just forces the gears over each other which makes the galloping sound (good description). You need a new one or to repair the one you have.

Correct, and well described :)

trebor
6th October 2010, 19:28
or could it just be the 170+ horses you have under the bonnett ?

csw
7th October 2010, 12:31
Hi guys thanks for the info. It's the horizontal one, Simon. Mantianak, I'll take it apart and see what I can see inside.

SD1too
8th October 2010, 07:42
Campbell,

Take great care removing the actuator cover; the clips break very easily. Flush out the engine oil which will be covering everything. If you have a faulty microswitch they are available cheaply from Farnell.

Simon.

csw
10th October 2010, 14:18
Well thanks to ou guys, I got the Balencing VIS out only to find that the square connection between the VIS motor and the butterfly has sheared off completly. Anybody know the part number of the butterfly and where to get one. No chance in South Africa but maybe someone in the UK. Thks

stocktake
10th October 2010, 14:28
Ouch, the butterfly part is not available seperately new to my knowlage, it is part of the manifold. You need to find one in a breakers yard and liberate the flap ;)

csw
11th October 2010, 09:13
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Dearrrrrrrrrr,

IN SA that is a huge problem.

Thanks anyway.