PDA

View Full Version : Boot leak

Jay
7th October 2010, 16:03
My boot carpets are saturated in water. The thing is the seal looks perfectly ok. Do they become less 'springy' as time goes on?
jay:cool::shrug:

Borg Warner
7th October 2010, 16:08
It's not just the seals that can leak; I think the strip can as well. Check 'em both.

nick nick
7th October 2010, 16:11
It's not just the seals that can leak; I think the strip can as well. Check 'em both.

Jay check your tail lights

Greeners
7th October 2010, 16:33
Link below for fixing light seals..

Dragrad
7th October 2010, 18:12
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.

red october
8th October 2010, 12:38
My boot carpets are saturated in water. The thing is the seal looks perfectly ok. Do they become less 'springy' as time goes on?
jay:cool::shrug:

I confirm nick nick, Ive owned two 75`s Both leaked in at the same place,rear near side tail light cluster Sponge sealing gasket split, Super glued together job done no more leaks. shimple,:}

stevestrat
8th October 2010, 17:43
I've got the "jacuzzi in the spare wheel well" problem as well. Some investigation seems to show it's the nearside light cluster seal, another job on the "to do" list!

sof007
8th October 2010, 17:48
I also noticed a pond in my boot....only when I went to put on a nice sweater that I had left in there and discovered it was soaked.

Took off both rear clusters and used a bit of silicone to seal the split in the foam seal and sealed some of the clips holding the strip on the side but it only seems to have worked on one side. more investigation is required..........

Synchromesh
8th October 2010, 19:34
Mine was leaking where the trim at the base of the back window clips to body.

scaevola
27th October 2010, 06:13
sof007,
I found the boot of my 2004 KV6 brim full of water, and the carpets soaked after the recent rain. (The 5 year drought here in Oz has broken.)
It proved to be leaks in the seals on both light clusters.
They had not perished, as expected, but had recessed at the sealing points.
The tracks of the leak in the dust was quite apparent.

The light clusters are easily removed, 3x 8mm bolts, readily accessible.
Remove the cluster, and their seals. Clean off dirt.
The sealing gaskets should be re-useable.
Spread a thin film of RTV clear silicone over the indented surface of the gasket, reassemble while wet.

The following morning the light clusters were watertight under strong hose pressure.
It seems that boot leaks are common in this series of Rover/MG.
I suggest that sealing the rear light cluster gaskets should be the first step for those with 'wet boots'.

bramblp
27th October 2010, 20:00
I seem to have cured my boot leak by removing the rubber boot seal and applying copper grease to its holder all the way round and re-fitting the seal, the water must have been getting up and under the seal, the grease now repels the water

Dallas
27th October 2010, 20:57
The plastic boot vents on each side behind the rear bumper also suffer bad fitment, making them a perfect water channel for leaking into the boot.

There are six clip points on a plastic boot vent where it clips in flush to the rear wing. You may find the metal surround edge (lip) on the wing body is not straight (lip position is bent), causing the plastic boot vent to not fit flush and allowing water ingress (this was the problem I found with mine).

Straighten the bent lip and seal with some silicon sealant and job done, make sure you get all six of the clip positions to clip back in (job done). :D

Here's a pic of the Boot vent.

Prometheus
30th October 2010, 14:17
Had an accident soft tap right ront and verry slight right rear. Had water in the boot seems right hand side vent behind the Amp that supplied the subwoofer was dislodged. Easy fix remove amp reseat and Caulked the edges just to make sure i won't be having the liner out again.

Thanks for the hints on this would never have imagined they put something behind the amp :)