PDA

View Full Version : Projector Bulbs?

Jakg
7th October 2010, 17:20
Quick question...

Bought some Mk1 projectors (no idea if Halo or Xenon). What bulbs do they take? Can the Xenons have HID bulbs insterted?

Ideally would like to use my H7 HID's / Osram main beam / LED sidelights with it.

Dragrad
7th October 2010, 18:11
Thread moved to correct forum. Re-direct left in old.

Kai Herb
7th October 2010, 18:36
If they are Xenons then they will have "Xenon Technology" etched on the inside of the dipped beam glass (you cannot miss it :)) in which case they will already be HID's with the ballasts on the back of the headlamp casing and take a H9 bulb for the main beam.As for as i know you cannot get a nitebreaker etc in H9 fitting as its a 65w bulb

Standard projectors do not have the words etched on the glass and iirc take a H7 bulb in the dipped light (if you have two rubber bulb covers then they are std projectors)so you would be able to put your aftermarket Hid's in them.Im not sure on the main beam bulb but i suspect it may be H9.

HTH

Steve :)

pab
7th October 2010, 19:52
these projector light units look superb with a HID kit fitted..just like the real thing.

mantianak
7th October 2010, 21:22
The projectors take H7 bulbs I think. I fitted some HID's to mine (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55207&highlight=hid). If you want to go the proper route you'll need proper xenon headlamps with the burners, they don't have bulbs.

mantianak
7th October 2010, 21:25
Misread what you posted. If your new headlamps have bulbs then they're projectors. If they have a plastic box where the bulb normally goes then it's xenon. Proper xenon's se burner units not bulb replacements like HID kits.

Jakg
7th October 2010, 21:58
I have bought some projectors on eBay - but I have no idea if they are Xenon or Halogen. I saw a breaking ad with the car fitted with them, emailed the guy and didn't ask questions so I could get them before he realised what they were.

All I want to know is the bulb fitments for the Halo's and projectors so I know what bulbs I need... still wrestling with whether I actually want them or not!

mantianak
8th October 2010, 17:27
H7 for the projectors, H1 (I think) for the reflectors, Xenon no bulbs. Don't think the xenon unit can be made to take normal bulbs.

Were they any pictures of the ad on ebay? Xenons have a litle logo on the inside on the light saying there're xenon. Also if you can see the back it looks very different to the regular headlamps.

mantianak
8th October 2010, 17:33
The back looks something like this (although these are mk2 headlamps)

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/bln/100811/402r3/81221mg_20.jpeg?set_id=2C4000 alt=

Can't find a picture on the logo on the inside

Jakg
8th October 2010, 18:30
Were they any pictures of the ad on ebay? Xenons have a litle logo on the inside on the light saying there're xenon. Also if you can see the back it looks very different to the regular headlamps.Nope - rather poor pic of the front of the car... Will have to wait till they turn up to find out.

Like the idea of OEM Xenons... but if a bulb goes i'm screwed! But at the same time, I could then re-use my HID's in the fogs...

mantianak
8th October 2010, 19:33
I think the burners can be replaced but not too sure, and could be a bit pricey.

Did the car have headlight washers on? If not then pretty sure it'll be projectors.

Jakg
8th October 2010, 19:51
Yes it had powerwash... car below:

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/081010/1286567438.jpg

If anyone wants a spoiler, guy wanted £45 for the spoiler or £80 for the complete boot lid + delivery...

pab
8th October 2010, 20:07
burners are available on ebay,seen them for as little as £15.00 the pair and a choice of colour temperatures,standard are 4.3k.

they don't blow like bulbs one member on here has owned his car eight years and never had a burner fail..

Jakg
8th October 2010, 20:10
burners are available on ebay,seen them for as little as £15.00 the pair and a choice of colour temperatures,standard are 4.3k.Burners as in OEM Xenons?

I have HID's in my reflectors already - just wondering if I can replace the OEM Xenon bulbs with aftermarket HID's when they fail... from memory an OEM ballast is £200 or something ridiculous!

pab
8th October 2010, 20:31
Burners as in OEM Xenons?

I have HID's in my reflectors already - just wondering if I can replace the OEM Xenon bulbs with aftermarket HID's when they fail... from memory an OEM ballast is £200 or something ridiculous!in my last post the price was for genuine burner replacement for oem xenon gas discharge lamps.

looking at your earlier post of the zt with the headlight washers.you have purchased xenons.