PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor Resistance

GaSrAm
9th October 2010, 17:56
After checking my sensors with a multimeter i find one with a high resistance reading and 3 with a reading around 10(00) ohms am i correct in thinking this could be the cause of my intermitant abs fault light ?

sworks
9th October 2010, 19:40
I can't remember the exact resistance (1000 - 1500 ohms?) but as long as the leads are the same length (can't remember if front / rears are different lengths) then you should get the same resistance

GaSrAm
9th October 2010, 20:32
Hmm .. well the 2 rear seem different to the front and they definatley had different readings , but the two fronts and a spare front i have all read the same as one rear . I ordered another rear sensor so at least i can eliminate that .

HarryM1BYT
9th October 2010, 21:49
The resistance of the leads will be in milli-Ohms, so any variation will be the resistance of the coil or the connections (if you are measuring at the ABS ECU). They should all measure the same within an Ohm or two.

SD1too
9th October 2010, 23:04
After checking my sensors with a multimeter i find one with a high resistance reading and 3 with a reading around 10(00) ohms ...
John,

MG Rover says that the sensors are active devices, therefore I don't think a resistance reading will be meaningful.

Simon.

T-Cut
10th October 2010, 00:20
The only way to test the performance of an ABS sensor is by the use of an oscilloscope. The resistance is not really relevant to its magnetic inductance.

TC

GaSrAm
10th October 2010, 08:48
They should all measure the same within an Ohm or two.

This is what i thought ,which leads me to believe the one that reads different could be broken

FrenchMike
10th October 2010, 09:05
After checking my sensors with a multimeter i find one with a high resistance reading and 3 with a reading around 10(00) ohms am i correct in thinking this could be the cause of my intermitant abs fault light ?

Hi,
not so simple:

Mike

HarryM1BYT
10th October 2010, 09:54
As rightly pointed out, not so simple as I thought. I still stand by my comment that if the resistance is wildly different with the meter connected EXACTLY to same way - same polarity, then the sensor is most likely failed.

Greeners
10th October 2010, 09:58
try this..... (http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/testing_abs/testing_abs.htm)

GaSrAm
10th October 2010, 11:11
Thanks for the info , i think the resistance test i did told me enough to suspect the sensor as 4 out of 5 sensors read almost the same and 1 reads totally different . I read that the sensor may produce enough voltage to pass the POST but then not supply enough to the ABS Modulator hence the intermitant fault , when the new sensor arrives no doubt i shall find out . Thanks again for all replies:)

as a side note i did not notice any polarity in the sensor as informed , they read the same either way they were connected

GaSrAm
16th October 2010, 18:44
just to update this issue , the n/s rear hub had surface rust on the face that the sensor reads .. after a quick polish the intermitant fault has disappeared , thanks for all the help

SD1too
16th October 2010, 22:23
An interesting outcome John. Thanks for letting us know.

Simon.

HarryM1BYT
20th August 2014, 17:14
Hi,
not so simple:

Mike

Mike, if you get this, right at the bottom of the attachment it mentions the voltage step one at 0.5v the other at what looks like 3.0v (close to the bottom and not showing properly.

That is at odds with my findings of yesterday. The step is a difference between the two voltages of 1.0v. The actual voltage depends on the voltage across the battery, but stationary ignition on, I saw 9.39v and 10.40v. Se my recent ABS thread here...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=192924