PDA

View Full Version : transmission oil level

roger the rover
10th October 2010, 14:39
HELP have an 03 reg 1.8turbo with 5 speed auto box. Have searched everywhere for a level plug without success, not where shown in Haynes Manual. All suggestions welcome
Roger the Rover

keir1163
10th October 2010, 14:54
The level plug is on the side and its an Allen key .Its about 2 inches up from the bottom of the box

roger the rover
10th October 2010, 15:49
thanks keir, will have a look after i have cleaned me specs

Roger

keir1163
10th October 2010, 17:05
pm me your email i will send you a pic

wuzerk
10th October 2010, 19:54
I am confused! I thought the auto boxes were the same on all 75 models?
If so then the level plug is a 5mm Allen key on the BOTTOM of the box not " about 2 inches up ".
It is very close to the end of the selector cable spring.

geofftl1000r
10th October 2010, 20:33
I am confused! I thought the auto boxes were the same on all 75 models?
If so then the level plug is a 5mm Allen key on the BOTTOM of the box not " about 2 inches up ".
It is very close to the end of the selector cable spring.

If the level plug was on the bottom, wouldn't that give a level of zero?:shrug:

wuzerk
10th October 2010, 20:38
As strange as it sounds the auto level plug is on the BOTTOM of the box.Obviously this means that there is an internal oilway feeding up inside the box.The level has to be checked via a set procedure and with the oil HOT. If you look at the pic in the Haynes manual you will realise that the level plug is very close to the selector cable spring which is on the BOTTOM of the box. ( I changed my sons 75 s auto oil last Thursday)!

Matt1960
10th October 2010, 21:07
Later boxes do not always have the allen key fitment, but a 14mm hex.
But always right next to the selector mechanism.
Matt

keir1163
11th October 2010, 06:22
As strange as it sounds the auto level plug is on the BOTTOM of the box.Obviously this means that there is an internal oilway feeding up inside the box.The level has to be checked via a set procedure and with the oil HOT. If you look at the pic in the Haynes manual you will realise that the level plug is very close to the selector cable spring which is on the BOTTOM of the box. ( I changed my sons 75 s auto oil last Thursday)!

It is not at the bottom. The bottom one is drain plug which if you think carefuilly makes sense.
Sorry to correct you but i have spent the last few weeks looking at it!

oldyellow
11th October 2010, 09:25
Take a look at this it answers all the questions :

wuzerk
11th October 2010, 16:20
KIER You are wrong, you are looking at the wrong thing. I have just changed my sons auto oil and I changed my own 75 s previously. Listen to someone who knows what they are talking about!

keir1163
11th October 2010, 17:17
KIER You are wrong, you are looking at the wrong thing. I have just changed my sons auto oil and I changed my own 75 s previously. Listen to someone who knows what they are talking about!

eerrm.........bit harsh there chap.
However if you have a box different to all other rover Jatco boxes i will apologise.
Just take a look at OLDYELLOWS post on this thread and then tell me i am a **** for looking at the wrong thing. And please please donnt tell me that i dropped the oil out the side plug and forgot to measure the level from the bottom.
Lets hope someone can clear this up before i again change a solanoid tommorrow by stripping the box down again!

geofftl1000r
12th October 2010, 13:13
OK, I am more confused.
Always thought that the level plug was on the side (seen this method before).

Looking at page 5 of the PDF it shows the plug on the bottom also has a tube to preset the level..... so how do you drain the old oil?:shrug:

Lates
12th October 2010, 13:52
eerrm.........bit harsh there chap.
However if you have a box different to all other rover Jatco boxes i will apologise.
Just take a look at OLDYELLOWS post on this thread and then tell me i am a **** for looking at the wrong thing. And please please donnt tell me that i dropped the oil out the side plug and forgot to measure the level from the bottom.
Lets hope someone can clear this up before i again change a solanoid tommorrow by stripping the box down again!

Well the pdf document isnt much different to the process we use. Do I get the "jist" you have dropped a clanger ?

wuzerk
12th October 2010, 14:43
This is getting ridiculous! The Jatco auto box on the Rover 75s and derivatives have the LEVEL plug(a 5mm Allen key socket) on the BOTTOM of the box next to the selector cable spring. The DRAIN plug is a large nut on the bottom. Some later boxes have a small bolt instead of the Allen socket but they all have the level plug on the BOTTOM.
I imagine you are talking about a manual box which is not what the original poster has!
I have just read OLD Yellows link and it states that the level plug is on the UNDERSIDE of the box!

Come on 'technical advisor' put him straight.

Lates
12th October 2010, 15:29
Easy tiger,different strokes for different folks and all that. I am sure with the pdf to hand the OP will sort it I am sure.

keir1163
12th October 2010, 16:04
This is getting ridiculous! The Jatco auto box on the Rover 75s and derivatives have the LEVEL plug(a 5mm Allen key socket) on the BOTTOM of the box next to the selector cable spring. The DRAIN plug is a large nut on the bottom. Some later boxes have a small bolt instead of the Allen socket but they all have the level plug on the BOTTOM.
I imagine you are talking about a manual box which is not what the original poster has!
I have just read OLD Yellows link and it states that the level plug is on the UNDERSIDE of the box!

Come on 'technical advisor' put him straight.

As this seems to be a big issue Mr W i think we do need it cleared up.

The large plug on the bottom is the drain plug...........

where the confusion is coming from is the way Mr W describes the drain plug to be at the bottom also...................My interpretation of this, along with other members is different...........in my eyes it is not at the true bottom but a few inches up pointing down......hence why i said 2 inches up from the bottom, on the side. Which it looks like it is.

so Mr W come here and i will give you a big hug and agree to differ on the interpritation of bottom.xxx

Matt1960
12th October 2010, 20:44
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/HippoPhoto/Keep/P4051811.jpg

This is a picture of the same gearbox, but in a freelander. It shows the 14mm plug, but most before 2003 will have the 5mm allen key.

Hope this photo clears it up.

Matt

roger the rover
13th October 2010, 13:31
Wow. As the originator of this thread can I apologise for causing such a heated debate but thank you all for your help. Hopefully this weekend will see me under the dear ols tourer checking a level plug......bolt.......tube.....on the side......underneath............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big thank you Guys

keir1163
13th October 2010, 15:14
Wish me luck roger as tommorrow i have to replace a faulty solonoid that i fitted last week in the box....so i also will be checking the level on the underneathside of the box!

geofftl1000r
14th October 2010, 11:42
Wow. As the originator of this thread can I apologise for causing such a heated debate but thank you all for your help. Hopefully this weekend will see me under the dear ols tourer checking a level plug......bolt.......tube.....on the side......underneath............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big thank you Guys

So glad you started this thread..... I need to change my tranny oil before the snow starts and now I have a much clearer idea of the level checking. :D

Cheers Geoff

wuzerk
14th October 2010, 13:39
You are obviously a trouble maker ROGER but good luck anyway!

keir1163
14th October 2010, 17:15
You are obviously a trouble maker ROGER but good luck anyway!

Waz you need a big hug from us all!

Weird thing i found today whilst uncocking a **** up i made was that i used the level plug (one on the side) and got 2.5ltrs out!.........
drpooed the rest out the sump and got 2.5ltrs out................hows that work?

A warning however......when fitting solanoids make sure all cables are routed correctly as one i fitted rubbed through and shorted! feel like a big **** now !

Matt1960
14th October 2010, 19:19
Yes the level plug connects to a tube that is pointing upwards into the box for a couple of inches, so the correct level is to the top of the tube and nothing to do with the level of the plug.
Matt

T-Cut
14th October 2010, 21:17
The official refilling temperature is 40C, so the existing oil needs to be warmed to 40C before checking the level. How do you know when it's at 40C? That's the subject of tonight's homework.

TC

roger the rover
14th October 2010, 21:23
Apparently you have to connect the diagnostic tool, remove the level plug, run the engine and select all gears then with the engine stillrunning top up fluid till it comes out of level tube whilst waiting for the gearbox to get the new oil up to temperature........Seeemple Thank god I spent the last years before retiring working on Japanese cars, but would never part with the old 75 which I use every day
Roger

Matt1960
14th October 2010, 21:57
The official refilling temperature is 40C, so the existing oil needs to be warmed to 40C before checking the level. How do you know when it's at 40C? That's the subject of tonight's homework.

TC

I did give one method here:
See thread 10
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=64402&highlight=temperature+resistance+40c

Matt