PDA

View Full Version : abs still playing up HELP

mark d3
10th October 2010, 17:00
update on my abs issues,changed the front pads and discs for uprated ebc items,as they were warped,i realise the brakes will be spongy till they bed in,also i replaced the rear hub on the left hand side as the abs light was on and the 2 sensors i replaced last week did not help the abs light is now off but the abs kicks in constantly even under the lightest of breaking anyone who can help i have the mot next week all these problems have come about sinse getting the clutch changed:shrug::confused:

stocktake
10th October 2010, 17:13
update on my abs issues,changed the front pads and discs for uprated ebc items,as they were warped,i realise the brakes will be spongy till they bed in,also i replaced the rear hub on the left hand side as the abs light was on and the 2 sensors i replaced last week did not help the abs light is now off but the abs kicks in constantly even under the lightest of breaking anyone who can help i have the mot next week all these problems have come about sinse getting the clutch changed:shrug::confused:

Hmmm, i would be getting a hub from a breakers yard and try swapping that for the one i replaced :)

mark d3
10th October 2010, 17:17
Hmmm, i would be getting a hub from a breakers yard and try swapping that for the one i replaced :)

thanks dave but the hub i replaced was brand new complete with bearing this knocked the abs light off but the abs kicking in remains

mark d3
10th October 2010, 19:01
bump.....:shrug::shrug::shrug:

stocktake
10th October 2010, 19:24
T4 Mark, it will tell you which corner to look at :)

mark d3
10th October 2010, 19:27
done that it said lh drivers,and lh rear could the light be off and the abs still play up dave? done both f+r lh sensor last week so only the lh front bearing to eliminate that was changed a year ago

COLVERT
10th October 2010, 19:40
done that it said lh drivers,and lh rear could the light be off and the abs still play up dave? done both f+r lh sensor last week so only the lh front bearing to eliminate that was changed a year ago
Can the distance of the sensor from the ring be adjusted ??? I think I read somewhere the distance was critical. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Colvert.

mark d3
10th October 2010, 20:10
Can the distance of the sensor from the ring be adjusted ??? I think I read somewhere the distance was critical. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Colvert.

no sadly its pre-set what is really confusing me is by changing the the rear hub and sensor i have got the light to go off but the abs kicking in at low speed remains

stocktake
10th October 2010, 20:21
Beyond me now Mark, what would happen if you disconnected the sensors in turn and drove the car, see what symtoms that throws up?

just guessing/thinking out loud now.

mark d3
10th October 2010, 20:24
Beyond me now Mark, what would happen if you disconnected the sensors in turn and drove the car, see what symtoms that throws up?

well it has go to be worth a shot dave tried (almost) everything else thanks as always for the input

Greeners
10th October 2010, 20:26

I don't think that will work, as soon as you disconnect them, it will throw up an ABS fault and disable it.....(if my memory serves me correctly)

mark d3
10th October 2010, 20:35
I don't think that will work, as soon as you disconnect them, it will throw up an ABS fault and disable it.....(if my memory serves me correctly)

any suggestions david? this is turning into a pig of a fault do you think theres any link to the clutch being changed not because i am looking for blame just need to know what direction to go in

Greeners
10th October 2010, 20:47
Whilst doing the clutch, they will have pulled both drive shafts from the hubs, they may have damaged the hubs.

Short term you could pull the fuse to disable the ABS and drive very carefully.

(you shouldn't really do this as it's dangerous !!!)

mark d3
10th October 2010, 20:50
Whilst doing the clutch, they will have pulled both drive shafts from the hubs, they may have damaged the hubs.

Short term you could pull the fuse to disable the ABS and drive very carefully.

(you shouldn't really do this as it's dangerous !!!)

thanks david only way i am going to tell is if i change both front bearings oh well another sunday morning working on the car, considerably longer if i have to press the bearings out so will look for hubs complete think i have seen them on e bay

Greeners
10th October 2010, 20:57
Damage will be clearly visible if you remove the drive shaft from each hub in turn. When you can see the pick up, check it for any cracks or damage, even the smallest amount of damage can cause this sort of problem.

A replacement used hub with a good ring would be a quick fix. PM Messenger as he'll have them off the shelf.

mark d3
10th October 2010, 20:59
thanks david thats great