PDA

View Full Version : Removing oil filter v6

phenonix
11th October 2010, 10:07
Never did an oil change on my car so if I decide to use an extractor can I access the oil filter without needing to raise the car??
How is the oil filter removed?
Have I seen somewhere that a special tool is needed?

MN190
11th October 2010, 12:27
See below

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4559&highlight=oil+chnage

I manage to do this without jacking up the car but it is a tight squeeze under the car.

aug081451
11th October 2010, 15:56
hi all, thought i would let you know, that NATIONAL TYRE AND AUTOCARE centres are doing an offer the 75 s are £31.00 all in " oil & filter, peter

SD1too
11th October 2010, 17:12
Never did an oil change on my car so if I decide to use an extractor can I access the oil filter without needing to raise the car??
How is the oil filter removed?
Have I seen somewhere that a special tool is needed?
Joe,

You'll need to remove the engine undertray first and that's not easy without the car raised. You'll have noticed the low ground clearance I'm sure.

There are several types of oil filter removal tool available; all inexpensive and, of course, you'll use it over and over again.

It's very cheap, quick and easy to undo the sump plug and allow the warm oil to drain into a plastic container (available at motor factors).

The cost of the equipment will be negligable compared with the savings you'll make over paying a garage to do it. But it's your choice, and your money! :}

Simon.

phenonix
11th October 2010, 20:25
I manage to do this without jacking up the car but it is a tight squeeze under the car.

thats the reason i was asking, looking under the car the other day i could plainly see the Mg filter, i thought hmm..is it just a case of reaching in??
then i thought of using an extractor
so thanks for all the links and advice above and my next question is...
"is it just a case of reaching in to remove the filter??"

phenonix
11th October 2010, 20:28
Joe,
The cost of the equipment will be negligable compared with the savings you'll make over paying a garage to do it. But it's your choice, and your money! :}
Simon.
Thanks Simon, unfortunately there few garages that do Rover parts over here, maybe 2 or 3?
and there labour can be higher than normal because of this

SD1too
12th October 2010, 07:28
Joe,

I was referring to the tools you'll need to change your engine oil and filter:

Jack (not if you don't have an underbelly panel and can reach the oil filter and drain plug).
Oil filter removal tool.
Oil tray.
Suitable spanner or socket for drain plug.

These are not MG Rover parts. Any motor factor/accessories shop would sell them, and I'm sure you have one near you. :}

Simon.

phenonix
12th October 2010, 08:12
Joe,

I was referring to the tools you'll need to change your engine oil and filter:

Jack (not if you don't have an underbelly panel and can reach the oil filter and drain plug).
Oil filter removal tool.
Oil tray.
Suitable spanner or socket for drain plug.

These are not MG Rover parts. Any motor factor/accessories shop would sell them, and I'm sure you have one near you. :}

Simon.

Thanks Simon,
I do have an underbelly panel but looking under the car I can still see the filter with the panel in place, if I go using an extractor I won't need to go near the drain plug, how difficult would it be to reach in and remove the filter?does it screw off?
Is there anything that needs to be replaced with the filter, I.e a ring, sealer???
I see you do most of your own servicing :}

EnEnGee
12th October 2010, 11:28
The oil filter on the petrol models is a standard spin off steel can type filter. The 1.8 litre filter is mounted horizontally on the front (exhaust side) of the engine (i.e facing the front of the car), and the V6 screws up vertically in the recess of the sump on the bottom on the drivers side of the engine (for RHD markets - i.e the offside) and can be seen through the OSF wheel arch. The V6 filter is a much longer can than the 1.8, but will come off with standard strap or chain type tools.

phenonix
12th October 2010, 11:35
The oil filter on the petrol models is a standard pin off steel can type filter. The 1.8 litre filter is mounted horizontally on the front (exhaust side) of the engine (i.e facing the front of the car), and the V6 screws up vertically in the recess of the sump on the bottom on the drivers side of the engine (for RHD markets - i.e the offside) and can be seen through the OSF wheel arch. The V6 filter is a much longer can than the 1.8, but will come off with standard strap or chain type tools.

so is it do-able to get the filter off a V6 without raising it?

SD1too
12th October 2010, 12:53
... how difficult would it be to reach in and remove the filter?
I don't know Joe, I always remove my underbelly panel first.
does it screw off?
Yes, but you'll need a releasing tool. It will be too tight for muscle power alone.
Is there anything that needs to be replaced with the filter, I.e a ring, sealer???
No, the sealing ring is included and integral with the new filter.

Hope that answers your questions clearly and concisely! :D

Simon.

phenonix
12th October 2010, 20:17
it does indeed Simon, most appreciated

phenonix
12th October 2010, 21:56
If I just change the oil, how does one tell if the filter is ok, i.e. How long does a filter last?
I do a out 200 kms a week, and filter was changed January this year

jn12
12th October 2010, 22:07
It is normal to replace the filter when doing an oil change, i have never heard of someone not doing so. Plus you get a bit of old oil out when the filter is taken off which is good thing. Remember to grease the rubber on the filter and fill with some new oil before fitting.

Looking back on this thread surely somewhere will do an oil change for you, here in the UK places do this for around £60. Would be easier if you do not have access to a ramp.

John

phenonix
13th October 2010, 08:23
I had the car serviced twice a year for 4 years now, so the more I learn about this car the better, the engine is the one place I've never ventured so this is a start, the minimum quote using Rover filters is $240.00 just for an oil change, but it's not really a financial thing, just want to be able to say I can do it if nessacary

SD1too
13th October 2010, 10:19
Joe,

You don't need a Rover branded filter.

The price you have been quoted is, in British terms, ridiculously high. You should be able to buy a jack, filter removal tool, spanner, filter, oil tray and replacement oil for less than half that price.

Now you just have to decide whether you're prepared to get your hands dirty (and it will be a bit of a messy job). :)

Simon.

Zeb
13th October 2010, 10:32
Hi Joe. I did mine on the 190 a little while back...Pela pump for removing the oil. Then, yes, jack up the car to remove oil filter...you can then clean the contact surface between the new filter and the engine before fitting the new one. Much easier doing it with the car raised...and it'll give you the chance to inspect everything else for leaks / rust / tightness etc...

phenonix
13th October 2010, 10:48
Hi Carl
Yes I think I'll buy an extractor it's just raising the car I'll have to look into a bit more, was hoping I could remove the filter without doing that but I think it looks like it's ramps for me now

phenonix
13th October 2010, 10:49
FYI
It's $25.00 for a Rover filter over here, but I'll get it from eBay Uk for $10.00!

phenonix
13th October 2010, 10:50
Hi Joe. I did mine on the 190 a little while back...Pela pump for removing the oil. Then, yes, jack up the car to remove oil filter...you can then clean the contact surface between the new filter and the engine before fitting the new one. Much easier doing it with the car raised...and it'll give you the chance to inspect everything else for leaks / rust / tightness etc...

Should have got you to bung a filter into my package Carl!

Zeb
13th October 2010, 10:59
Should have got you to bung a filter into my package Carl!

Good point...well, if you ever need smallish piles of spares / maintenance bits shipping over do let me know...:)

phenonix
13th October 2010, 11:35
Thanks for the offer Carl

MN190
13th October 2010, 12:32
so is it do-able to get the filter off a V6 without raising it?

Yes but is a squeeze
I always take the under belly off first and it would be easier with a jack or ramps.
I use an old kitchen bowl to capature the old oil as it slides just under the car and is deep enough to collect all the oil.
Due to the incline on my driveway jacking or putting on ramps is not an option.