PDA

View Full Version : transmission code & MAF link

keir1163
11th October 2010, 17:29
Chaps,
I had the code read on my autobox saturday as it was not engaging correctly and not going over 3rd gear. Apprently the suppliers of the parts say its in Default mode.....
error was 'clutch timing solonoid to earth' On the snapon tool..........cleared it and it comes straight back.

Now....tommorrow i have the choice of stripping the box to see if a wire is damaged or i can work out weather there is a link between that and the MAF being unplugged.

The MAF is now new and all codes clear yet the MPG and box fault remains (yes i know the MPG will suffer due to the gears but it should be better than it is)...............................
so has anyone any more knowledge as to a work around or diag?

chrissyboy
11th October 2010, 21:43
i just read that the maf sensor can effect the gear change ,i cant find the site at present but will try and find it ..

keir1163
12th October 2010, 06:19
Hi Chrissy
really appreciate the site if you have it as i am about to strip it down if not......
Since i fitted the NEW MAF i have noticed that it drives like it is unplugged so i am betting on the wires earthing somewhere giving me the code.

The MAF error however does not appear

chrissyboy
12th October 2010, 20:56
Hi Chrissy
really appreciate the site if you have it as i am about to strip it down if not......
Since i fitted the NEW MAF i have noticed that it drives like it is unplugged so i am betting on the wires earthing somewhere giving me the code.

The MAF error however does not appear

could be just a nuff sesor you got ... not found that site yet as pc is set to delete history on log off ,, di see this though

One extremely common problem with The Jatco JF506E / 09A unit is a cracked reverse piston. A cracked piston can cause one or more of the following complaints: no reverse, a slipping reverse, a poor shift from second to third an elongated shift into fourth or fifth gear, and in some cases, no third, fourth, fifth or reverse.

Matt1960
12th October 2010, 21:25
I hope I am wrong, but I dont think the MAF being faulty would cause the gearbox to not get past 3rd gear. However, the loss of power from the MAF could cause changes to be in a different place. BUt unplugging the MAF would see changes as normal again.
At some stage in 2003, they uprated the reverse piston, as they had problems with cracking. So this may be dependant on the production date of the gearbox and not necessarily the car. But normally the cracked pistion sees a gradual deterioration of the changes. But this is a possibility.
I still believe a solenoid earth to be the most likely cause, and testing the connector will show which one in 5 mins.
Matt

keir1163
13th October 2010, 06:52
I hope I am wrong, but I dont think the MAF being faulty would cause the gearbox to not get past 3rd gear. However, the loss of power from the MAF could cause changes to be in a different place. BUt unplugging the MAF would see changes as normal again.
At some stage in 2003, they uprated the reverse piston, as they had problems with cracking. So this may be dependant on the production date of the gearbox and not necessarily the car. But normally the cracked pistion sees a gradual deterioration of the changes. But this is a possibility.
I still believe a solenoid earth to be the most likely cause, and testing the connector will show which one in 5 mins.
Matt

Hi Matt,
The code is the LOW clutch solonoid playing.
The importers say they have never had a faulty one but its possible so i have asked for another one just in case . I will strip the box down thursday and check the earth wires as the LOW CLUTCH actually has a solonoid above it earth to it.................maybe that is causing a prob.

ironically my car is a 53plate but a 2004 model according to the VIN so i assume it has the reverse piston