PDA

View Full Version : Wet carpet cure (mg zt 04 plate)?

ja3142
11th October 2010, 19:19
Having spent ages drying out the passenger side, I now find a lake under the driver's side carpet which I had not noticed before (Doh!).:getmecoat:
I'm reasonably sure that both have been caused by sunroof drains being blocked/adrift, but I thought I would try and fix all possibilities at once.
Plenum drains are clear and dry, so its not that.
I have put silicone sealant round all the white clips sockets under the windscreen trim, but I wonder if it is worth putting a bead under the lower part of the glass itself. I am sure that the windscreen has been replaced at some point, and I've noticed some black 'sealant' under the edge (see photo 1183) which is out of place.
Any thoughts/advice?

Jonathan

courier118
11th October 2010, 20:36
Id say IMO that its your sunroof drains come apart.Using silicone where you have wont do alot to be honest.You need to use sikkaflex or tiger seal,which is the black sealer that you can see under your screen

ja3142
11th October 2010, 21:50
OK thanks for that.
I agree that it is most likely the sunroof drains (I felt water round the pipes after using a watering can on the sunroof), but its such a pain drying the carpet I want to make sure its a one-off job if I can.

The tiger seal sounds like difficult stuff to use. Are you suggesting that I run a bead of it under the glass where I can see the where the black seal has run out (and also round the clips).

what about this captain tolleys stuff I have read about?

courier118
11th October 2010, 21:54
Tiger seal and sikkaflex is used the same as silicone sealer,with a mastic gun.As i said before,i think your problem is the sunroof drains and not the screen

david pearce
12th October 2010, 13:10
my drivers side drainage from the sunroof appears to be blocked, is that the reason for the above and if so how do i go about clearing it i have tried curtain wire and a coat hanger to no avail does anybody know the best way to unblock a sunroof drain??:bowdown:

ceedy
12th October 2010, 14:58
I've used this stuff for some while

including putting the windscreen back in my Fiat X19,
repaired Smbo's Zr sunroof and mended my guttering with it too . a few days back .

mines black and Sticks to anything . ;)

http://www.uksealants.co.uk/product.asp?idproduct=27

ja3142
12th October 2010, 17:42
David: do you think it is blocked between the sunroof and the bulkhead or beyond the bulkhead? If the latter then the drain pipe can be reached by freeing the wheel arch liner. I believe that is the end where they often get blocked. In my case the pipe from the sunroof had slipped out of the connector in the bulkhead. I gather that some have clipped the end of the drain pipe off behind the wheel arch liner as it narrows at the end and gets blocked.

There is plenty of advice on this on the forum. It's seems a common problem and a really bad piece of design.

Drying the carpet (or the sponge under it) is heartbreaking!