PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan Smoking

GLYNFORSTER
11th October 2010, 21:45
I need some help:shrug: my 2.5 v6 conni has developed a problem, there was smoke and a burning smell coming from the front grill area, ive had the grill off and the fan is difficult to turn and feels really hot, i manage to get home ok by turning off the AC, dont know why this should help but it did, any way the fan was still hot when i got home and if you turn it you can feel it trying to work even with the engine off.

How easy is it to get the fan off and what should i replace it with, i could get a second hand one of ebay or the scrapyard but may be getting another duff one, someone on here recommended a kenlowe fan from another member are these easy to fit and has anyone tried them??

Its been a very eventfull day as i fitted a set of partworn rims and tyres last night, set off to work this morning to find the only one i hadnt changed had a flat tyre, i swopped this and went to work came out and that had gone flat as well, so had to call the missus to bring me the compressor out, managed to pump the tyre up but thats when the smoke started as i was running the engine while the compressor was on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Glyn

pab
11th October 2010, 21:53
thread moved to technical help forum for better exposure,redirection left.

the year of your car would help..to eliminate which fan you have,can you see the resistor mounted at about 2 o'clock through the grill?

GLYNFORSTER
11th October 2010, 21:56
thread moved to technical help forum for better exposure,redirection left.

the year of your car would help..to eliminate which fan you have,can you see the resistor mounted at about 2 o'clock through the grill?

Sorry its a 2003 and i will have a look in the morning, the fan feels lumpy when you turn it so i think the motor has gone.

chrissyboy
11th October 2010, 22:18
sounds like the fan has come off ts mounting .the smell of burning was most proberly the plastic burning as the motor was going round and the fan wasnt bing driven

GLYNFORSTER
11th October 2010, 22:31
sounds like the fan has come off ts mounting .the smell of burning was most proberly the plastic burning as the motor was going round and the fan wasnt bing driven

Hi and thanks for the suggestion but the fan is definitely on the mountings ok, the motor isnt turning freely and the fan only turns if you give it a flick to start it.

FrenchMike
12th October 2010, 08:40
Hi,

Contact 'Jules'
He is our fan expert !

Mike

GLYNFORSTER
12th October 2010, 11:14
Hi,

Contact 'Jules'
He is our fan expert !

Mike

Thanks Mike

I have sent Jules a pm, i am new to the forum so dont know whos who yet.

The fan is still smelling of burning and i have tried taking out the fuse i think it was no9 10amp, i have read elsewhere on here that the fuseable link no4 is the feed to the fan, can i take this out and still use the car without doing any damage??

Cheers Glyn

FrenchMike
12th October 2010, 11:26
Thanks Mike

I have sent Jules a pm, i am new to the forum so dont know whos who yet.

The fan is still smelling of burning and i have tried taking out the fuse i think it was no9 10amp, i have read elsewhere on here that the fuseable link no4 is the feed to the fan, can i take this out and still use the car without doing any damage??

Cheers Glyn

Hi,Glyn

Be careful,it is a 80 Amperes fuse !!!!!
(link 4)

Yes,you can run without by this season but monitor the engine temp
Using OBD diagnostics (7.0)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55585&highlight=

Mike

chrissyboy
12th October 2010, 20:13
Hi and thanks for the suggestion but the fan is definitely on the mountings ok, the motor isnt turning freely and the fan only turns if you give it a flick to start it.

i`d say its time for a new fan ,contact jules he does a good deal on the upratd fans ,he also supplies good instruction on how to fit it .alot on here have fitted them there self and done a good job of it ...i wouldnt go messing about pulling fuses ,just disconnect it .in fact take it out altogher and test it out of the car .with a tester connect tester to battery and connect earth to motor of fan and place tester on the live of motor and press the button on teter to supply iy with a live .your know whether the motor is nuff or not that way ,plus you would be upsetting the car by pulling fuses ..if its nuff they contact jules .... did you check if the blade is getting stuck on the fan cowling ?

ambassador
29th August 2016, 14:56
Thought I'd just link on to this thread as fault is pretty much the same.

Got to shops with burning electrical smell coming from the front of the car. Turned A/C off and drove home with no more smoke. On return looked and found fan blade would spin by hand OK. So started up and fan not spinning - turned on A/C and fan still not spinning, but with a little nudge it spun up but made a loud clicking noise as if fan blade fouling.

Turned engine off and spun by hand and got same clicking but not very loud and saw a little bit of rubbing on front of one blade. Started engine and A/C but fan not turning. Had to gave a bigger nudge this time and eventually fan started with same clicking noise, but then the fan started to slow down. I then was pretty certain the fan itself was bust.

So I'm not really up to the fan replacement procedure so would just like to ask what likely cost would be for a garage or mobile mechanic to fit a new/second hand one.

Car is a v6 04 plate pre-facelift and there is no resistor at 2.0 o'clock just the incoming wires at 3.00 o'clock.

Any help please or suggestions? Car is a limo and is beginning to cost me this year and last but of course I would like to keep it on the road.

T-Cut
29th August 2016, 15:33
I'd say the motor brushes are just about shot and there's some contact betwen the commutator and what's left of them, tensions springs, etc. The noise indicates abrasion and wear of the commutator. It's worth considring a re-brush if it isn't too far gone. The alternative is a fan system replacement. Usual recommendation is a second hand 2-speed (eBay/Arctic/breakers/etc. and upgrade the resistor if appropriate. Alternatively, there's the aftermarket fan derivatives. See Jules shop for these.

Fitting a replacement is plug and play once to get the bumper off. It not at all daifficult and there's lots of Help/HowTos/Videos on the subject.

TC

ambassador
30th August 2016, 07:35
Ah thanks for advice. Yes - looks.much like fan motor needs replacing. From what I read, the coolant needs replacing and A/C discharging to carry out the repair as well as removing the bumper.

Anyone have an idea how much it would cost at a garage?

Arctic
30th August 2016, 07:57
Ah thanks for advice. Yes - looks.much like fan motor needs replacing. From what I read, the coolant needs replacing and A/C discharging to carry out the repair as well as removing the bumper.

Anyone have an idea how much it would cost at a garage?
Hi Ed.
You do not have to replace the coolant to change the cooling fan, also the replacement fan can be added without disturbing the Air con gas.

You would need to cut the cowling round the A/C pipes to removed the old damaged fan, and the replacement fan would also need to have the cowling cut round the A/C pipes, this is then just bolted back on to the car plug in and play as they say.

All the above can only take place once the bumper, slam panel with lights attached have been removed, job for a person whom as not fitted a fan before should take about 3hrs to 4hrs anyone whom as fitted one before maybe 2hrs 2.5hrs.

While the front bumper is off other little jobs can be checked ie wiring rubbing on the chassis arm etc.

http://i41.tinypic.com/zjdwt3.jpg1

http://i39.tinypic.com/2l95o3a.jpg2

http://i67.tinypic.com/2cpar06.jpg3

I see your car is an 04 plate so it may have a two wire 2 speed fan with silver resistor, if not it will a four wire 3 speed fan fitted you would need to check this first how are you with spanners etc Arctic.

PS I would start your own thread on this even though you have already taged onto an old thread from way back