PDA

View Full Version : Tyre presure leaks from Rover alloys

jcwatrichmond
12th October 2010, 08:00
I've just had a problem with slow presure leaks from my two original 16'' seven spoke alloy front wheels. This was losing about 1/2 to 1 lb a day per tyre. As I didn't notice this at first, I was running with well under-inflated tyres for a while causing severe edge wear.
At my local tyre depot the man changing the tyres said that Rovers are renowned in the trade for deterioration of the inner sealing edge of the alloys. He managed to clean the edges up quite well and applied some black goo before fitting the new tyre and assured me that all would now be well.

Is this all true or have I been treated to a touch of blarney?

JCW

huddie
12th October 2010, 08:59
Snap, I am experiencing the same prob on my 17" serpent alloys. I had to have 2 new tyres a couple of days ago and my local tyre dealer says much t he same, nothing specific about rover alloys but leaking round the rim on older alloys seems to be common. He used a sealant on the rims so I am about to check to see if they have gone down at all. visually they look fine so i hope they are ok now.
Regards Huddie

windrush
12th October 2010, 10:30
I dont think the problem is only down to Rover wheels Rover did not manufacture their wheels

Cymrudragon
12th October 2010, 11:38
Had this problem on a saab and on a bmw 518 so throws that out of the window, but my current zt-t also leaks air from the rear tyres. i dont think its a "Rover" thing only though....

chrishumphries
12th October 2010, 16:01
My meteor 17" alloys lose about 6psi a week all round.

James.uk
12th October 2010, 16:08
Dogs pee on car wheels, then the acid causes lil blisters in the ally, the blisters force the tyre and ally apart and air starts leaking out... :(

Clean the rims with emry cloth, then wash your wheels often... .. Not much else you can do I don't fink. :o :o :o