PDA

View Full Version : Place Yourself on the Map!

derekosb
12th October 2010, 15:58
Hi everyone,

A lot of the Scottish members have already met me at some point over the last 2 years so for those who haven't my full name is Derek Osborne and I am Property Manager living in Glasgow, working In North Ayrshire.

I thought I should post a quick hello as I start out as your Regional Secretary. I also feel that is an important point to make, I am not here to tell the members what to do (that is for the mods:p:) rather to organise or co-ordinate events for the members.

Therefore I am looking for suggestions from the members for meets. Ideas for locations? Where have we not been yet? Do you want to go back to a previous meet location? Is there any interest in a "Nano" style meet somewhere in Scotland (if we have enough members with the required technical abilities?)

I have also set up a location map (see my signature) and it would be helpful if any Scottish Members (or any other member who feels they want to identify their location, thanks Derek & John & Jan) could place a pin on the map in their rough location. There is no need to zoom right in your street address, we don't need that. Just place your pin so I can see the spread of members.

I would also ask if you can drop me a PM if you wish to be included on a "Meet List" that I aim to compile.

That way whenever a meet is arranged you will automatically be sent a message advising you. If you have your PM preferences set up that way you would also receive an email advising you of your PM so even if you are not on the forum you will still be kept informed.

So, there we have it. A new development for the club and here's hoping I can provide a decent service for the members.

My thanks to those who took the time to vote and please let me know if you have any suggestions, comments, opinions etc.

Cheers,

Derek

derekosb
18th October 2010, 11:45
Hi Guys,

Time for a little bump. We now have 16 markers on the map but I know there are a lot more Scottish Members than that?

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/Derekosb

You will have to scroll the map to Scotland as I still cannot get my map to centre properly:o:o

Anyone else please place your marker on the map as this will allow me to guage where the higher concentration of members is. It may also alert you to a member near to you.

Any questions please just ask. Many thanks.:}

Derek

Bluejon
1st November 2010, 22:03
Hi Guys,

Time for a little bump. We now have 16 markers on the map but I know there are a lot more Scottish Members than that?

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/Derekosb

You will have to scroll the map to Scotland as I still cannot get my map to centre properly:o:o

Anyone else please place your marker on the map as this will allow me to guage where the higher concentration of members is. It may also alert you to a member near to you.

Any questions please just ask. Many thanks.:}

Derek

Hi Derek,

A wee bit new to all this techy stuff,am also thinking of posting up a location map,have got the map up,but can you give me some tips on saving the map on the uk like yours instead of the world,many thanks.

John.

derekosb
1st November 2010, 22:29
Hi John,

I have sent you a PM.

Hope it helps,:}

Derek

Little-George
5th November 2010, 21:01
Cool idea
placed

Thomas
5th November 2010, 21:12
Added myself :}

suzublu
5th November 2010, 21:14
Is the central belt the only place owners live?:shrug:

derekosb
6th November 2010, 08:22
Is the central belt the only place owners live?:shrug:

Now you see the point of the map......

But pretty much yes. Out of the 5 million population about 80% lives in the Central Belt so our membership spread was always likely to reflect that.

Derek

derekosb
6th November 2010, 08:26
And I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has added themselves so far. 42 markers added to date.

Anyone else please add yourself to the map.

Thanks

Derek

derekosb
24th November 2010, 17:30
Bumpety Bump.

Now up to 59 markers placed so any more members in Scotland (or members who like to travel) please place your marker on the map.

Many thanks

Derek

James.uk
24th November 2010, 17:46
Added... I know I'm not in Scotland, but I did manage Gretna innit.. :D

Halcyon
7th January 2011, 21:22
Hi, Derek

I've just joined - I'd like to be informed about the meets, and once I've worked out how to set my PM setttings I'll send you a message. As far as ideas for runs - Argyll has lots of places to go. Inverary is a great place (visit the castle, the jail etc.; good places to eat); so is Oban (the nearest town to me) and I'd also recommend Glencoe - from Glasgow the road along Loch Lomondside and across Rannoch Moor is superb; a good lunch is to be at at the Clachaig Inn, Glencoe (in the midst of majestic mountains) and the road home south via Appin has superb views (coming south over Stalker Brae and seeing Stalker Castle must be one of the wqorld's best) and folks would have the choice at Oban of going back via Crainlarich and Loch Lomondside or Lochgilphead and the Rest and Be Thankful Pass.

Just some ideas - I live here, so I get to see these sights most days.

All the best
Steve

derekosb
8th January 2011, 09:56
Hi, Derek

I've just joined - I'd like to be informed about the meets, and once I've worked out how to set my PM setttings I'll send you a message. As far as ideas for runs - Argyll has lots of places to go. Inverary is a great place (visit the castle, the jail etc.; good places to eat); so is Oban (the nearest town to me) and I'd also recommend Glencoe - from Glasgow the road along Loch Lomondside and across Rannoch Moor is superb; a good lunch is to be at at the Clachaig Inn, Glencoe (in the midst of majestic mountains) and the road home south via Appin has superb views (coming south over Stalker Brae and seeing Stalker Castle must be one of the wqorld's best) and folks would have the choice at Oban of going back via Crainlarich and Loch Lomondside or Lochgilphead and the Rest and Be Thankful Pass.

Just some ideas - I live here, so I get to see these sights most days.

All the best
Steve

Hi Steve,

And welcome to the club mate. Any luck with finding yourself a nice 75 yet??

You do indeed live in a fabulous part of the world which I have visited on numerous occasions. Love a good weekend in Oban!!:D:D

Some great ideas and could be good for the summer.

I'll be posting up a new meet thread for this year shortly and will now add you to the PM list.

Excellent to have you aboard and look forward to meeting you when we can.

Cheers,

Derek

tricia1470
5th March 2011, 02:41
Just added me :-)

greendriver
5th March 2011, 04:46
Added from sunny Croydon

derekosb
5th March 2011, 07:48
Just added me :-)

Hi Tricia, thanks for that and hopefully see you at a meet sometime. I know you can't make Oban but there is always the SARR in May and then Gretna later in the year. :}

Added from sunny Croydon

Thanks and it would be great if you ever managed to get North, albeit that would be quite a road trip from Croydon:D

Derek

Tim_Burgess
6th January 2013, 12:54
Thought it might be an idea if I finally added our location but can't seem to get it to work.

Any help gratefully received

derekosb
7th January 2013, 17:31
Thought it might be an idea if I finally added our location but can't seem to get it to work.

Any help gratefully received

Hi Tim,

If you put your postcode in the search box it should take you to your area of the map.

As a first time visitor it should give you the option to "place a marker" as well as a choice of which "head" to use.

As the admin for the map I can't see that screen and can't remember very clearly how it works.

Let me know if you have any joy.

Regards,

Derek

lady zed
7th January 2013, 17:49
Doesn't work for me Derek, I do remember placing myself on a map but I'm not on this one. So there's either another one douing the rounds or someone has removed me. Incidentally you're not on it either........

derekosb
7th January 2013, 17:55
Doesn't work for me Derek, I do remember placing myself on a map but I'm not on this one. So there's either another one douing the rounds or someone has removed me. Incidentally you're not on it either........

Thanks for that Anna, looks like something has happened as there used to be a lot more markers placed on the map.

I'll have a dig and see what the problem is.

Derek

AldoR
7th January 2013, 21:49
We were on it and can't see ours:(

J1MBO
8th January 2013, 09:14
Thanks for that Anna, looks like something has happened as there used to be a lot more markers placed on the map.

I'll have a dig and see what the problem is.

Derek

Derek, we had the same problem with the NW regions map.

The free version only allows for 100 markers, as more people enter their location the earlier placed markers are removed.

However the message board continues to show all, scooterchick and AldoR can both still be found listed.

The NW decided to remove the old map and open a new one.

Hth

lady zed
8th January 2013, 09:38
as more people enter their location the earlier placed markers are removed.

Cheeky beggars!!! :D

Might be an idea to start a new one then, I don't recognise most of the names on there.....