PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Woe and I need a new engine

Bob75
13th October 2010, 07:10
There was a slight problem the car was hard to start so went into garage for new glow plugs thats when it started.
3 plugs replaced no problem the 4th broke into the cylinder, net result head needs removing, garage tried and broke 2 studs they also cracked the timing chain cover trying to remove it.
Best advice I have had up to now is that it will be cheaper to replace whole unit rather than to rebore and tap broken studs skim head replace cover etc so anyone know where I can get a 2.0 litre diesel engine for a facelift 75. Its the BMW unit with 131 bhp output think its called the M74R but not sure.

Wouldnt mind all the cost as this is the best car I have ever had but for so much to go amiss from what should have been a simple job is just a nightmare.

Edit: My wife has beaten me to it in telling this tale. We will go with the answers to her post. Thanks to all.

windrush
13th October 2010, 09:20
I think that you must have a claim against the garage who did all this damage to your engine

bobgrice
13th October 2010, 09:59
i would get legal advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bramblp
13th October 2010, 12:50
Ryans our Local Rover dealer here in Dublin had one with 30,000 on the clock from a rolled car but probably no good to you.

Cymrudragon
13th October 2010, 13:17
i would get legal advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id agree, where there is blame there's a clame......and to say you need a new engine i think they have done more damage than they have let on if you weigh up the cost for a new engine,instalation of the engine,etc against repairing the old cant see it being cheeper as the engine would cost from £700-£1000+ also would it have a new water pump and all aux belts the list is long..... and thats if you can find a rare 2.0 derv engine

FrenchMike
13th October 2010, 14:00
What a waste when we know here that very,very rarely glow plugs
have to be replaced !
Even more ,these engines can start without on that season :o

Mike

Matt1960
13th October 2010, 17:55
Yes, I agree that the glowpugs are extremely reliable.
Difficult starting is far more likely to have been leakback on one or more injectors.
Garage sound incompetant to me.
I agree with trying to make a claim against them.
Matt

yelnats
13th October 2010, 19:08
It's a sorry tale Bob, and you have my sympathy; it's a salutary reminder to all members, to run things past the forum for early guidance and advice, before entrusting our cars to others.

windrush
13th October 2010, 19:11
Go for it Bob you have nothink to lose

mark d3
13th October 2010, 19:33
they are trying to pull a fast one bob dont put up with it they should be sued for gross negligence or total stupidity talk to citizens advice or trading standards

chrissyboy
13th October 2010, 22:20
he have a claim there even a blind man can see that .. if it was my car i would of left it with then telling them its their fault its i that state as itwas like that when you took it in .and that your be seeking compenstation for then ******ing up the engine on a striaght forward job ...i think there is a thread somewhere on here about all you can do .
also believe they can be shut down for things like this ..

Bob75
13th October 2010, 22:21
Hello there this is Mrs Bob75

Thank you all for your advice. There is an 'new' engine en-route to the garage as I write, which we've had to pay for. If the garage had done the search they would have just taken the first correct engine on offer, regardless of the price, at least we were able to choose how much we paid.

Fortunately we both have access to Legal Advice through our Unions so we can get 2 opinions at least. Someone has also mentioned claiming on insurance?

We are still both in a state of shock that such a simple job can end up being so botched. And I am not even sure if there has been so much as an apology either? Bob75 asked the garage today if they could lend him a run-around til his is back on the road (as they also sell cars). However, none are taxed, so no they can't lend him anything.

Oh, btw it was me that ruined the glow-plugs, I feel so responsible for this whole mess.

paulf
14th October 2010, 17:37
This sounds a right mess, its certainly a garage to avoid.
How have they persuaded you that it was YOU who ruined the glow plugs? theres nothing that you can do to damage them by driving the car and I would be surprised if they were the cause of the original problem.
The garage are completely to blame for this mess in my opinion.
Paul.
Hello there this is Mrs Bob75

We are still both in a state of shock that such a simple job can end up being so botched. And I am not even sure if there has been so much as an apology either? Bob75 asked the garage today if they could lend him a run-around til his is back on the road (as they also sell cars). However, none are taxed, so no they can't lend him anything.

Oh, btw it was me that ruined the glow-plugs, I feel so responsible for this whole mess.

rallyjon
14th October 2010, 17:58
feel sorry for you for what has happened,before purchasing another engine what did they say to make you get one,which studs broke,in the block or the cylinder head,if its the latter its easy to do ,but the block canbe a pain,they usually ony break when tightening up though,so its there fault,
yes injectors can snap in the head and you have to drill them out but a decent engineering firm can do them,mercedes are prone to this big time,
totally the garages fault,and they should rectify there mess ,do not fall for it,let them pay for all the work they will be doing and get all the old parts back.:getmecoat::getmecoat:

windrush
14th October 2010, 20:21
Bob dont let them get away from this

Bob75
15th October 2010, 10:57
I will be looking for the garage to reimburse me the costs I have incurred but I am over a barrel until I get my (fully working) car back. They will be held to account for the damage they have done though.

Lovel
15th October 2010, 11:23
For the future once you get fixed up, and only 36 miles from Burghead the family firm of Ewens of Cornhill (Ex MG Rover dealer) can help you with your service needs.

Very professional competent and friendly family business.
In a little rural location, however they must have supplied and serviced more MGR stuff in the North Eeast than any of the the slick city guys.

http://www.ewens.co.uk/servicing.htm

keir1163
15th October 2010, 12:01
what a mess hey....and on top of it all the same garage is having to put the engine in the vehicle.!
You have a really strong case with a small claims court, but you need to get as much evidence from them as you can without letting on that you will see them in court.
If it was me i would let them do all the work then just drive the car away without getting your cheque book out for anything. I know you have bought another engine and want the costs back for that , but i think i would raise a claim for the engine and loss of earning's, car hire and so on.........they wonnt wanna go to court if they face a large bill .
In my experience Small claims court judges look at private peopel who do things by the book as very trustworthy and give them a good oppertunity to put there case against the garage.
Good luck and i am sorry you have had this experience.

Bob75
19th November 2010, 19:57
The garage during the fitting of the new engine managed to damage the crankcase oil seal which meant gearbox out again and new seal. After this they replaced both the master and slave cylinders on the clutch because they could not get it to work. It was workinhg fine when it went in though. Is there something different about the 75s clutch system? Anyway the garage have now presented me with a bill for £1391,00. No way I will be paying that and I want compensation for the 27 days the car was off the road. To add insult to injury I now have a sensor telling me both tail lights are out which they arent and the ciruise control no longer works.

tvpcop
25th November 2010, 13:32
I would refuse to pay any bill, and take it to a decent recommended garage to rectify the faults then go to the small claims court. Make sure you document everything though.

Evansabove
25th November 2010, 14:02
Bob, Sorry to hear your tale of woe and I hope you get it settled soon. About your rear lights, the 75 makes the brake lights dim to use as rear side lights. Therefore it is quite possible that your rear lights have gone. The rear lights are the middle red section. The brake lights are the upper red section. Just worth a check.

HTH

John

chrissyboy
25th November 2010, 17:26
i would ask them when they intend putting right the damage they have done to your engine ,reading this post it sounds like frank spencer was doing the job .. as said a easy job and all this damage caused by them ...
if that had happened at my guys place they would repair at their cost ...