PDA

View Full Version : LED number plate light flicker !

trebor
13th October 2010, 17:54
I have just bought the bulbs below, the front sidelights fit and work fine, but the number plate lights flicker all the time so i have removed them for now.

If i fit one of the old style bulbs alongside one of the new LEDs the LED stops flickering as son as i fit the old bulb which is strange.

Anyone else had this problem or coud advise ?

sidelights link ( all ok )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130373983801&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

number plate lights ( both flicker )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130373486833&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

pab
13th October 2010, 18:06
i take it you have swapped the number plate festoons around,something to do with polarity.

i have had these number plate LED's fitted for nearly a year with no problems

Parker
13th October 2010, 18:07
Strange one. I had a situation that the right standard bulb was very intermittent despite several new bulbs but once LED's fitted lights stayed on fine. Be interesting to see if anyone else has a similar problem.

trebor
13th October 2010, 18:08
they only fit one way so cannot fit them the wrong way around

pab
13th October 2010, 18:14
they only fit one way so cannot fit them the wrong way aroundsorry rob,turn them round the opposite way in the holder..they tend to draw current better on one side than the other.

Typhoon190
13th October 2010, 18:26
Hey Rob. Has your bulb out warning not appeared on the dash, as the ones in you're link don't look to be canbus ones.

I bought some from this seller, and they are fine. :}

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320431407957&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I had this flickering with non canbus sidelights. Send them back for a refund, as it should be mentioned in the description.

Devilish
13th October 2010, 18:31
Err......... I might have sent you the wrong link, :o those bulbs are the ones I bought for the extra loadspace area lighting I fitted to the rear loadspace pillars, and the uderfloor light, they are not the canbus error free type.

I Have sent you the correct link

Oops

Do not return them, I will have them off you for my other pair of Rover interior light fittings I have.

I have sent you the correct link

Sorry.

The bulbs Ben pointed out are the same also.

ianfletcher
13th October 2010, 18:44
I had this problem when I fitted them and ended up changing one which was ok for a few weeks but then started flickering again on the same side. It blew a short time later and I've been driving around with just the one working ever since

trebor
13th October 2010, 20:02
Err......... I might have sent you the wrong link, :o those bulbs are the ones I bought for the extra loadspace area lighting I fitted to the rear loadspace pillars, and the uderfloor light, they are not the canbus error free type.

I Have sent you the correct link

Oops

Do not return them, I will have them off you for my other pair of Rover interior light fittings I have.

I have sent you the correct link

Sorry.

The bulbs Ben pointed out are the same also.

you can go off people Steve !

Seriously no worries i will order the correct ones and hang onto these for you

Thanks to all for your replies

T-Cut
13th October 2010, 20:41
The number plate bulb supply is notoriously dicey when the circuit board starts to rust. Maybe the LED flickering is due to a bad connection?
The festoon type LEDs that can be used don't usually worry the blown bulb detector. Maybe they use slightly more power than other LEDs so the system is happy. You certainly don't HAVE to fit expensive CANbus-friendly festoons to avoid any issues with the warning system.

TC

suzublu
13th October 2010, 20:52
I got mine from Carl (mantianak) member on here.No problems whatever.

sratansi
10th November 2010, 08:12
I've ordered these

will let you know once recieved and fitted

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280497222983&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

pab
10th November 2010, 16:41
I've ordered these

will let you know once recieved and fitted

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280497222983&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

you have ordered the correct size,38 mm.

these contain nine chips (light emitting diodes) they could be bright.mine contain 3 and are brighter than the standard festoon.

sratansi
10th November 2010, 20:12
you have ordered the correct size,38 mm.

these contain nine chips (light emitting diodes) they could be bright.mine contain 3 and are brighter than the standard festoon.

thank god the right size was a tad worried there but they looked similar size

T-Cut
11th November 2010, 14:43
The supply issue for LEDs is more critical than for bulbs. As I said earlier the numberplate 'PCB' is a regular cause of bulb failure. While yours may work OK with a bulb (you can't see it flickering because it's very hot) insertion of an LED will show up the weakness. I'd give the supply system a good fettle.

TC

pab
11th November 2010, 15:30
i would like to add that the quality of these LED's vary between suppliers.