PDA

View Full Version : Boot & alarm problem...

iMORT3rnAL
14th October 2010, 10:22
Hi guys, I really need some help with a problem I have. Today we had our first big rainfall for the season which was quite pleasant but might also be the cause of my problem.

This morning, just after a big rain shower, I stopped at our security gate so that they can do their check but couldn’t open the boot from within my car. I had to switch off, climb out and unlock the boot with my key. When I locked the car after that the alarm didn’t fully activate, as if something was still open which wasn’t the case, the alarm also went off twice after that.

I’m thinking that somewhere somehow a few wires got wet, but I’m not sure where to start looking.

Problem Summary:
- Alarm goes off without anyone being near the car and it's getting worse, security me every now and then to go calm her down.
- Boot cannot be opened with button located in driver’s side foot well.
- When activating the alarm it honks once to warn of an open door but nothing is open. (Checked all doors, bonnet, boot and fuel cap)

Notes:
- I have a 2004 Rover 75 1.8T Pre-Facelift
- I’ve never been able to unlock the boot by holding down the unlock button on my key.
- The instrument cluster registers that the boot lid is closed, but not the alarm system. Are there two separate systems monitoring whether something is open or closed?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
The alarm going of every few minutes is now so bad that I can’t activate it anymore and for some reason the range on my key has diminished drastically.

Dragrad
14th October 2010, 23:34
Not having a saloon, cannot help you much, but on the tourer if there is even the smallest obstruction to the tailgate closing it will sound the one beep when closing.

The range on the key diminishing is probably the key fob battery going flat. A word of warning, when replacing the key fob battery, make sure that the car is WELL OUT OF RANGE......I'd say 150 metres +. otherwise you could be facing a T4 session.. :(

Hope someone who knows more about saloons pops up soon ;)

iMORT3rnAL
19th October 2010, 08:40
Hi, after work I had a thorough look around the car and found that the rubber just beneath the windshield was in place (had the windshield replaced about a month ago. The strange thing is that the moment the rubber clipped into place the boot button inside the car worked again and the alarm didn’t report any problems. The range on my key fob was also back to normal without changing the battery.

My guess is that something got wet and malfunctioned. I’ll also be sending a letter to the company that replaced my windshield, they’re one of the biggest glass companies here so it’s unacceptable.