PDA

View Full Version : Heating problems

volvoturboman
14th October 2010, 14:26
My friends 190 ZT has now heated twice, not one time after the other but once 3 weeks ago and the other 2 days ago. Its been serviced and this is completely out of the blue. It has put the engine tempeture light on both times. There is no oil in water or vice versa. I thought possibly a thermostat or water pump on its way out. Have you any ideas and if I'm right on my ideas how would you know?

tazman3
14th October 2010, 14:34
My friends 190 ZT has now heated twice, not one time after the other but once 3 weeks ago and the other 2 days ago. Its been serviced and this is completely out of the blue. It has put the engine tempeture light on both times. There is no oil in water or vice versa. I thought possibly a thermostat or water pump on its way out. Have you any ideas and if I'm right on my ideas how would you know?

Take the engine cover off mate and shine a torch down into the V the thermostat housing in black has a habit of cracking and leaking coolant into the V...

Martin

Cymrudragon
14th October 2010, 14:48
As taz said check stat for a leek.......Failing that

Is the heater in the car working?(heat from both sides pass+drivers)
Are you loosing water from anyware, hoses,rad,etc
are you topping the exp tank up regularly

volvoturboman
14th October 2010, 18:31
I've said to him to check thermostat, heater is working, car isn't losing water and he does check the level regular.

Cymrudragon
14th October 2010, 18:35
possable air lock if the temp went to red and over heating i would think mainly on a long run over 50 mph ..

volvoturboman
14th October 2010, 18:53
Its actually short, city drives on both occasions. Approx 10 miles in fairly dense traffic. Suppose that could still be an air lock.

kaiser
14th October 2010, 18:56
If the car has overheated, it is most likely that you have lost water. Check when cold.

Alternatively your thermostat might stick in or near the closed position. In any of the cases it is worth having a close look at the thermostat. This is the weak spot on these engines.

Additionally check that the fan is operating. If you switch on the AC, the fan should come on i all cases.

A water pump could theoretically cause what you see, but this is unlikely, not impossible.

I bet my tenner on water loss, leaking thermostat.

Check the cooling system, and check it often, like every morning before you go!!

volvoturboman
15th October 2010, 20:42
I was gonna have a look at the thermostat today for him, however I discovered that it seems to be buried below many a thing in the centre of the engine. I then decided before I'd do anything drastic I'd bleed the water system. As it turned out it was full of air. O' and the bleeding screw broke which meant a whole stripping job after all. Anyway got that sorted bled the system out again and the car ran fan came on then off drove it around a bit and nothing. Weather or not this will last has yet to be seen. If it comes again I'll attempt that scary looking thermostat job. Funny thing is last time I changed a thermostat was to my last car, the V70, and it took about 5 mins lol.

chrissyboy
15th October 2010, 20:49
you say he had a service . did they change the coolant ? as has been said possible airlock .if he did have a coolant change ready for the winter then that solves the question as to how the air got in there in the first place ...

volvoturboman
15th October 2010, 21:28
you say he had a service . did they change the coolant ? as has been said possible airlock .if he did have a coolant change ready for the winter then that solves the question as to how the air got in there in the first place ...

Well sorry when I say service we changed the oil and filter along with plugs 2 weeks ago but the coolant and brakes were not done. As like a lot of us he's running a very tight budget he wanted to do them next week but he doesn't want to go a to the expense of a coolant change tll he finds out whats wrong.

volvoturboman
15th March 2011, 15:25
Cars been running a song since, so it was an airlock