PDA

View Full Version : New MAF, but no improvement

Austin Rover
29th October 2010, 00:15
A new addition to the household is a '03 MG ZTT CDTi with 95,000 miles. It was a bit lethargic at low revs and behaved similar to my diesel 75 before it had a new MAF sensor.

A new MAF for the MG was bought from eBay (but not the same seller as the one for my 75) and it was fitted, but if anything the car is now worse and is absolutely sluggish under 2,000rpm. The 75 will pull away from 30mph in 4th easily, but the MG doesn't want to know!

Is there anything else I should be doing/should have done?

Greeners
29th October 2010, 00:48
Unplug the MAF and see if there is any difference, you may have a faulty one.

pablo892
29th October 2010, 08:20
Also, please could you post a link to the seller you bought it off - could be a chinese copy?

P

wuzerk
29th October 2010, 10:58
If the performance is worse with the new Maf than it was with the Maf unplugged then it is not working properly. The cheap reproduction ones on E bay look very good but whether they work is another thing.

rossocorsa
29th October 2010, 22:44
in addition to maf issues do a full service, clean the EGR valve (actually if it's really mucky it could be stuck partially open) or ideally replace it with a bypass, replace the pcv valve all these make a difference which cumulatively can make a big difference. Additionally you could do the air intake mod ( I suspect 99% placebo effect) and once all is well add a ron box

Austin Rover
1st November 2010, 16:11
Thanks for the replies. I swapped the two sensors between the ZT and my 75, and the poor performance moved to the other car with the sensor. It'll be going back to the eBay trader as it is obviously at fault.

Greeners
1st November 2010, 16:15
Thanks for the replies. I swapped the two sensors between the ZT and my 75, and the poor performance moved to the other car with the sensor. It'll be going back to the eBay trader as it is obviously at fault.

Get a refund and buy a genuine Bosch one, pricey I know but they are very reliable.

chris36
1st November 2010, 20:20
I chased round a MAF fault on mine, ended up buying a Pierburg with Mafam...........it was sa bit better. Anyway to cut a long story short - It was the Intercooler seals, Easiest & cheapest job ever done. Well worth investigating. Mine were actually sitting in the intercooler.