PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Corrupt !! Help.

davediamond
18th June 2007, 20:36
Hi all

Its my first post in the PC section so please be gentle.

SWMBO has killed her laptop.. All im getting is a flash of the 'Blue Screen of Death' (to fast to see what it says)

After trying to re-install windows it tells me that the hard drive is corrupt....

Is this a fatal as it seems ???

Thanks

Dave

Rich
18th June 2007, 20:55
After trying to re-install windows it tells me that the hard drive is corrupt....

Hi Dave.

Can you give us the exact message at this point?

davediamond
18th June 2007, 21:44
Hi Rich

When I tried to install window whilst leaving the file structure intact is just said that it was unable to complete the process as the hard drive was corrupt (sorry cant remember the exact text but there was no meaningful information or error codes.

I have tried to format the drive first (using the backup disc) but get the following message:-

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Dave

nairda
18th June 2007, 22:19
If you have to opportunity to run ScanDisk, do so. It will check for, and attempt to repair, bad disk sectors. Of course, if it's physical damage, it's time for a new HDD...

And I do hope you took regular backups of the HDD too...

Another idea came to mind. If you know the make and model of the HDD, you could try the manufacturer's site and see if there are any utilities you can download that can be copied to floppy/USB/bootable CD. Specifically you should look for any type of drive scanning/repair utilities. Once you have a bootable floppy/USB pendrive/CD, (check your BIOS for any booting options and choose the media drive you have copied the utilities to as your first boot device), you should then boot the machine with the floppy/USB drive/CD inserted. There should be further advice/instructions on the manufacturer's site too.

HTH

BMC123
19th June 2007, 00:22
In my own experience, once you get the message "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged." when trying to format with the actual XP disc, then its bye bye hard drive. It is unlikely that scandisk will work, (I think actually you would run chkdsk /r and not scandisk) and I would not waste my time trying to rescue it, but would simply buy a new one and get the machine running again,

then i would investigate the drive. :D

davediamond
19th June 2007, 14:36
Thanks all.

From whats been said it does seem rather terminal,

Its a good job SWMBO took notice of my constant reminders that the HDD needed backing up just incase............ 'NOT!!!!!!!!!'

That will learn her...lol, she's now upset that we have lost our holiday photos and a couple of games she purchased online..... And you would'nt believe how many times I had to explain that if the HDD was broken nothing could be done. She wasnt amused with me repeating 'Everybodys Dead Dave' after each question (Red Dwarf fans will get that one, lol)

Picking up another HDD shouldnt be to much of a problem but where do I stand with the operating system. Do the discs I have (came with laptop) contain a full version of Windows or do they only work on the one originally installed ?

Cheers

Dave

Rich
19th June 2007, 15:47
Discs supplied with computers usually allow you to do a fresh restore/install on a new HDD, no problems. Be sure to send the computer straight to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com when the install has finished.

You might still be able to recover the data if you're desparate for it?

BMC123
19th June 2007, 18:45
Yep, sometimes all it takes is the threat of replacement, and hard drives spring back into life (and i am not joking :SHOCKED: ) either way, once you have the new one you could try the old freezer trick, as it just may come back to life long enough for you to get some stuff off it.)

and yes.... "Everybody's dead. Everybody is dead, Dave"

3 minutes of your time well spent

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9tgnBSgsIyc&mode=related&search=

:D

mantianak
19th June 2007, 19:07
I would go with nairda's advice

I had a new hard drive go bad recently. I had tried fixmbr and fixboot from the xp disk but didn't work. Turned out it couldn't be formatted untill the previous operating systems boot sector was removed/deleted.

Try going to the hard drive manufacturers website and see what tools they offer.

For mine I downloaded Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.09
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Most hard drive makes will have tools that can be used free of an OS and boot from cd or floppy

BMC123
19th June 2007, 19:48
The problem here is to remember that the drive in question is a laptop drive, and by thier very nature they are a lot more difficult to recover data from than standard drives, and when they go they very rarely return. :lol:

MGOracle
25th June 2007, 10:11
Hi there,

If you can send the laptop to me I can recover most things from it and even repair it.

PM me if you like.

Mark

EDIT: In fact, if you are happy to get Windows back up an running yourself you can just send me the Hard Drive

GreyGhost
25th June 2007, 12:11
Data can be recovered from any hard drive with the right tools / expertise. Only if the drive has been physically opened and the contents removed and destroyed will the data be un-recoverable.

MGOracle
25th June 2007, 12:16
Yup, Its not any more difficult to pull data from a laptop drive as it is a Desktop drive. Both use the same interfaces (IDE, SATA). Just because its an inch smaller doesn't make it any more difficult.

GreyGhost
25th June 2007, 12:21
Yup, Its not any more difficult to pull data from a laptop drive as it is a Desktop drive. Both use the same interfaces (IDE, SATA). Just because its an inch smaller doesn't make it any more difficult.

In addition, if a drive has failed physically then in a "clean room" the contents can be removed and built into a new case. Or the board can simply be replaced if the fault is in that area.

BMC123
25th June 2007, 18:40
all very well and good, but just how many people own a set of the right screwdrivers to get into a drive, never mind the technical knowledge to actually perform a drive platter swap. Lets remember here what the original question was, and not get too technical, otherwise we may lose some readers :D
but in my own experience, once you hear that "scratching noise" its usually too late, a bit like when you wear the pads down on your disc brakes to bare metal :SHOCKED:

GreyGhost
25th June 2007, 18:49
all very well and good, but just how many people own a set of the right screwdrivers to get into a drive, never mind the technical knowledge to actually perform a drive platter swap.

If it comes to that scenario then it's off to the data recovery company and make sure you have re-mortgaged your house first. :D DIY is not a good option at that stage.

JohnDotCom
26th June 2007, 14:58
The company I work for in the US recover Critical Information from hard drives damaged for Aviation, Security, Defense and Businesses from £300 per GB!!!! and we can be taling about TB's.
Thats rebuilding/recovering all the data etc,
it would have to be critical at that price but its what people have to pay when they don't run a backup system and need ythat information!

davediamond
26th June 2007, 19:44
Thanks for all your replies...

The hard drive booted for the final time allowing me to get the holiday pics off (so SWMBO is happier) But, I need more help, lol

The original hard drive is as follows

30.0GB ATA-100 EIDE hard disk drive - 4,200 RPM, 2.5-inch form factor, 9.5mm height (taken from manual)

The HP/Compac replacement 319413-00 looks a bit pricey for my liking, can I fit a generic HDD such as

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/671/878/-/3383495/Fujitsu-MHW2060AH-60Gb-2-5-Internal-ATA-Hard-Drive/Product.html?searchtype=genre

or

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/671/878/-/3383499/Fujitsu-MHW2060BH-60Gb-2-5-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive/Product.html?searchtype=genre

Will a SATA work ATA or an ATA on a SATA (do what) lol

???

Thanks

Dave

GreyGhost
26th June 2007, 19:55
SATA and ATA are not interchangeable. Your first link would be correct and not a bad price either. This a 5400 RPM drive so pretty nippy (for a 2.5")

davediamond
27th June 2007, 10:58
Hi Thanks Grey

So if I were to purchase the HDD in the 1st link I could just slot it in and reinstall XP ? no other connections or software required?

Cheers

Dave

GreyGhost
27th June 2007, 11:11
Any new drive will have to be formatted and (partitioned if required). Your system installer disk should have a utility for doing that when you start up from it to install. Needs a PC person to confirm what it is called. Otherwise just plug and play, no drivers required.

Spôôk
28th June 2007, 07:15
Any new drive will have to be formatted and (partitioned if required). Your system installer disk should have a utility for doing that when you start up from it to install. Needs a PC person to confirm what it is called. Otherwise just plug and play, no drivers required.
What you need is a bootable CD-rom (basically any old version of Windows will do) - once booted search for FDISK.(exe or com - cant remember) on the CD, then run FDISK - it will then PARTITION your harddisk into 1 or more partitions. You would normally only use 1 on a portable PC. Just follow the questions on screen.
Once completed - REBOOT and search for FORMAT.(exe or com). Run FORMAT C:
Once done you are in business.
You can now install the original Compaq backup CD.

You MAY be able to use the backup CD for the FDISK etc. but I don't think it is included. But you could try.

MGOracle
28th June 2007, 07:37
Worth noting that fdsik doesn't exist on an XP CD and that any formatting and partitioning is taken care of during install.

davediamond
28th June 2007, 09:41
Thanks everyone

Seems quite easy then, lol (fingers crossed)

The XP disc that came with the lappy gives the option to partition and format the drive before installing the operating system so things should go swimmingly (no pun intended to those who may be flooded)

Regards

Dave