PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack/Box or Estate?

IceBlueNi
12th November 2010, 08:43
After taking the family (me, SO, 2 kids and a baby)on a recent holiday to Scotland it became apparent that the 75 just didn't have enough boot space for us to pack everything.

So this has left me with a dilemma of what to do.

I think there are 2 options, either :-

Buy a Roof Rack/Box or

Buy an Estate.

I would like opinions and advice as have never owned a roof box or estate.:bowdown:

matthewsemple
12th November 2010, 08:52
After taking the family (me, SO, 2 kids and a baby)on a recent holiday to Scotland it became apparent that the 75 just didn't have enough boot space for us to pack everything.

Buy a Roof Rack/Box or

Buy an Estate.

I would like opinions and advice as have never owned a roof box or estate.:bowdown:

It you get an estate, go for a ZT-T or 75 Tourer ;)

bigrob73
12th November 2010, 09:47

Buy a Roof Rack/Box or

Buy an Estate.

Well as you can see from my signature pic, I too have had this dilemma. I ended up going for a smaller Thule roof bag which i could remove and store in the boot when I arrived. Roof boxes make a big increase to fuel economy.
However, a tourer would be easier, but the rest of the year? A saloon is better looking in my opinion.......

simdel1
12th November 2010, 11:52
I also have this problem. I'm saving up for a roof box which I will then get resprayed the same colour as the car. I wanted an estate originaly, but my budget couldn't stretch to one.

IceBlueNi
12th November 2010, 12:42
Does the tourer hold much more litre space then the saloon?

Have been searching online but cannot find exact figures.

payner75t
12th November 2010, 12:48
i wouldn't worry about the size in litres , its the shape thats more important . which means the tourer wins easily!!

Devilish
12th November 2010, 15:54
Buy a tourer, you will love it, loads of room.

baughurst
12th November 2010, 19:35
Does the tourer hold much more litre space then the saloon?

Have been searching online but cannot find exact figures.

I moved a fridge freezer in my ZT-T having first tried it in my Disco (it didn't fit). It's bigger than it seems due to the hatch being a deceiving shape.

Leander
13th November 2010, 02:45
It's got to be an estate, in my book anyway.

The space is always there, and at a convenient level, as a pose to roof boxes, which in my view are awkward to put on and take off, as well as load and unload. They also put a big dent in your fuel economy!

The 75 Tourer has 680 litres with the seats up and 1222 litres with the seats down, so not class leading by any means, and it's not the highest of boots of either, but it is very long - 2060mm in fact, and I've always managed to get everything in.

Finally, I wouldn't want to ruin the beautiful shape of the saloon by sticking a box on top, even if it was the same colour.

Cheers
Leander

IceBlueNi
13th November 2010, 16:37
Am edging towards a tourer now. Checked out a few on autotrader and a 2005 model seems to be perfect.

Has to be the Conny SE Diesel though :D

starbug2
13th November 2010, 17:43
i vote tourer:} more head room in the back as well ;)

ColinB
14th November 2010, 09:51
Get both!:D
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m164/vwbus1972/Car/20061015162.jpg

N1&EPR
14th November 2010, 09:56
I've had a king size double mattress in the back of my ZT-T. Far, far more usable space than the saloon.

Tempted to do the roof box thing as well for the next family camping trip. Your's looks brilliant Colin!

Pedro
14th November 2010, 10:24
I think a lot depends on how often you need the extra load space. If it's regularly, then a tourer would probably be the better option; if it's once or twice a year, then a box may be OK. Personally, I've got a roof box. It's a big old Halfords one and it takes a while to fit the roof bars and bolt the box on top, so I wouldn't like to be doing this too often. Also, you need to consider the weight to be carried. The owner's handbook gives a maximum roof load of 80kg which includes the weight of the box. A box will result in using more fuel and if fully loaded will affect the handling of the car. Hmm...have I just persuaded myself to get a tourer? :shrug: :D

ardvark
14th November 2010, 10:30
Go for a diesel auto estate. It'll last for ages if you look after it.

Number 6
14th November 2010, 11:53
Go for a diesel auto estate. It'll last for ages if you look after it.
:iagree::wot:

Or Manual:}

Robson Rover Repair
15th November 2010, 13:49
How about this then, will take a trade.

http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/79/68453479.html

Offer him no more than 3600 as thats what it went for three weeks ago, hes a greedy trader marking it up! :mad: