PDA

View Full Version : 2004 ZT 1.8T, Hose connector & coolant loss

DJAndyB
15th November 2006, 22:07
Since owning my 2004 1.8T ZTT (1 year) I have noticed the smell of coolant after driving the car.

In February my local dealer pressure tested the cooling system but could find no leaks.

Last month I noticed coolant leaking from the join of the plastic connector and hoses just behind the top of the radiator. I replaced one of the spring clips with a jubilee clip and the leak stopped.

At the weekend I had a pool of coolant under the car and it was coming from the the same join. I topped the system up and took the ZTT to my dealer today who has again pressure tested the system and again found no leaks.

I am a tad worried about this - would a pressure test necessarily pick this up and is there anything else I can do such as replace all the clips with jubilee clips?

Is this a commom problem?

Many thanks

Andy

Simon
15th November 2006, 22:12
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

There have been a couple of members posting here about similar problems. It seems that the T-piece of hosing above the radiator doesnt seem to be up to the task and can slowly degrade.

What engine do you have and how old is it?

Coolant leakage can be signs of other problems. If too much pressure is building up in the coolant system then this could point to a HGF. Which is obviously a bad thing.

Check that none of the coolant hoses are rubbing/catching on anything.

Also, is there a substance that can only be described as mayonaise under your radiator cap and do you hear a substantial amount of air being released when you remove this cap?

DJAndyB
15th November 2006, 22:17
Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply.

I've a 2004MY 1.8 Turbo, I have kept an eye on the car for all the signs of HGF since I've had it - no sign as yet ;) , had the car seviced today and all is OK in all other areas.

ATB

ANdy

Simon
15th November 2006, 22:20
The other option then is there could be too much coolant in the system. Have you checked the level? It wouldn't be the first time a garage has overfilled the system in a car. IIRC there is an overflow which allows excess coolant to "leak" out of the system - this could be what you are smelling.

Alex30013k
16th November 2006, 04:55
The other option then is there could be too much coolant in the system. Have you checked the level? It wouldn't be the first time a garage has overfilled the system in a car. IIRC there is an overflow which allows excess coolant to "leak" out of the system - this could be what you are smelling.

Where is this over flow?

Is it the cap?

Simon
16th November 2006, 10:48
Where is this over flow?

Is it the cap?

Couldn't tell you mate... I just remember reading a thread back on mg-rover.org where someone mentioned this. I haven't been to look in my car to be honest. Of course, the information could be wrong and if indeed there is too much coolant in the system then the pressure may just be forcing it out of somewhere.

EDIT: Found the thread on mg-rover.org.
Quote:
I've been loosing small amounts of coolant since buying the car.
I don't believe I have a leak.
I believe that the water is being lost from the overflow pipe on the expansion tank when the car is pointed nose down idling on a slope in stationary traffic on my daily commute.

Can anyone confirm this suspicion?

The car is a '99 2.5 KV6 with black expansion tank which has an overflow tube built in.

End quote.

Neil Coupland
16th November 2006, 13:44
Hi Andy

I've got an 04 1.8T as well and mine also was weeping fluid around the T Piece behind the radiator. I fitted jubilee clips to all the connections and this has just about stopped it. I check it when the engine is cold, feeling for moisture around the end of the hose (when hot it just evaporates). It does still leak intermittantly, but very little, we are talking dampness, not leaking. I still occasionally need to top up the water, but the loss is negligible.

hth

Neil:lol:

Mel75
16th November 2006, 18:44
I have an 06 1.8T was brand new, only 1 mile on the clock now done 5K have found so far 3 leaks on pipe joints very hard to find, these could have gone undetected, you dont expect to have to clawl all over a brand new engine but thanks to the guys on this site and .org talking about the K series cooling system i looked a lot closer, have had new cars now for 25+ years but its never crossed my mind to search for coolant leaks.

Its such a mess of pipes and joints on the 1.8T, wonder how many HGFs started from brand new with out the owner being aware of leaking pipes is it possible that some joints could even draw in air?

Mel75

Phil
16th November 2006, 20:07
My 1.8 turbo has been leaking around the t piece. I replaced the clips and this made the leak even worse, I last week replaced the bottom hose from the prt to the bottom of the t piece and the two hoses at the top either side of the t piece and replaced the plastic t piece for good measure, the old hoses had gone hard and very thin around the ends, new hoses appear to have cured mine. I do wonder how many k series engines have been incorrectly diagnosed as having hgf when a leak has developed cos I could only really saw the leak in very cold weather with the engine stone cold, as soon as started up the heat given off from the turbo evaperated the leaked coolant and was untracable. I've confirmed with Ken and my coolant pipes don't get pressurised any more than his low milage 1.8t and mines done 49,000 miles and not had hgf.

DJAndyB
16th November 2006, 23:13
Thanks all.

Time to change the remaining clips for jubilee clips and check regularly me thinks. :)

ATB

Andy

selwonk
19th November 2006, 13:07
I too had a faulty top hose. It took a month to get a new one in which time the coolant level was fine but I suffered HGF. This is on an MY04 with 30K on the clock

Christopher
17th December 2006, 14:16
The attached is where I think I am getting a tiny tiny loss (less than a teaspoon full) when the engine is going full tilt - i.e. under pressure. It is the 'seam' where the plastic overflow bottle is put together ...

I think I am going to get it changed, but need to get the whole system emptied etc by a professional etc... do you think it is worth it?? I haven't lost more than half a teacup (less probably) in the 18 months I've driven R70 ...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/345855e04c1a9e.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/345855e05f187a.jpg

Phil
17th December 2006, 17:43
Are you certain it isn't the cap?

Christopher
17th December 2006, 18:29
Are you certain it isn't the cap?

Yes, I've changed the cap and the clips on the hose too ...

Ken
17th December 2006, 18:35
Tell you what I will do Christopher, I need a nice little runabout so will take the whole thing off your hands and swap my Metro for your car. Ok Metro's not great but it would stop you worrying about your water leak :lol:

I know I am doing you a favour but don't feel guilty I could use your car for spares for mine so everyones happy.

ps get rid of that old boot plinth before I pick it up.

Ken

Christopher
17th December 2006, 18:46
I almost choked on my beer Ken then ... it is all jealousy of course, my beloved R70 is going no-where ... and to think you drive a silver car too ... I don't know, you think you know someone!! :icon_eek::icon_eek:

:snowfight1:

Ken
17th December 2006, 18:49
I almost choked on my beer Ken then ... it is all jealousy of course, my beloved R70 is going no-where ... and to think you drive a silver car too ... I don't know, you think you know someone!! :icon_eek::icon_eek:

:snowfight1:

You forget................I am getting your car bit by bit...................already got the wheels and tyres :eek:

GreyGhost
17th December 2006, 18:51
It's always the quiet ones you have to watch Chris :D

Lates
17th December 2006, 21:59
The overflow wont be present on a later spec 75, it was on the early models with the balck expansion tank which had this "facility"