PDA

View Full Version : Which warranty?

Teflon
15th November 2006, 08:14
I'm considering getting a warranty for my 75, and this company appear to be very reasonable when compared with the competion (www.warrantyworks.co.uk).

The much used Warranty Direct want £370 pa (which seems a lot to me), whereas I can get 3 yrs cover from Warranty Works for around £400. Admittedly the cover is less comprehensive, but nonetheless should suffice (I hope).

So, has anyone here used Warrant Works, and if so, what are they like? I would like to go with them, but they do seem a great deal cheaper, which kind of makes me cautious.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Cliff

mykl
15th November 2006, 14:31
Cliff

I asked the same question on .org a couple of months back.

Had a good response.

As such......... I bought a warranty from Warranty Direct, very comprhensive policy.

Lets be honest we all know 'you get what you pay for'

Good luck

mykl

Teflon
15th November 2006, 17:31
Lets be honest we all know 'you get what you pay for'

That's the bit that worries me!

To be honest though, the thought of forking out £370 each year to avoid bills seems a bit much. My last car (a Hyundai) had only 2 minor repairs throughout the 8 years (and 120000 miles) that I owned it (Gear cable and electric window switch). My wifes car (a Daewoo) has so far incurred no additional costs at all (other than routine servicing) since its purchase 7 years ago. I would hope that the Rover will be somewhere close in terms of reliability, but of course, it only takes one major fault to bring the bills in.

I suppose in the end, you pay your money and take your pick as they say.

Out of interest, what put you off Warranty Works?

Cliff

Dave Goody
15th November 2006, 18:43
I think there was a thread on the old forum re. Warranty Works. I think they are not a Warranty Company at all but just sell for other companies or something like that. Check on Threads in .org. If I'm wrong apologies.
I also took mine out with Warranty Direct having had a new clutch and a new manifold in 6 months total approx £1600. £370 is peanuts for repairs these days. I dont think this would pay for a cooling fan to be fitted? I think £370 a good price. As already said you get what you pay for !
Warranty Directs Gold warranty pays for wear and tear items as well.
I looked at about 10 different companies inc RAC and AA. and Warranty Direct was the best deal. Dave.

mykl
15th November 2006, 19:00
That's the bit that worries me!

Out of interest, what put you off Warranty Works?

Cliff

Cliff

Really the experiences of others.

I wanted a policy that was reliable and robust if I needed it.

Like Dave Goody I too looked at 8-10 companies. Some more expensive some cheaper.

Warranty Direct had the cover I wanted for piece of mind motoring.

mykl

JP53
15th November 2006, 20:10
I've got an RAC gold 2 year warranty the same as my long suffering wife Sue as on her ZR. Sue had to get her central locking fixed Monday, in fixed and paid for by warranty in a day. Incidentally parts ordered at 10am arrived 2pm. John.

Dave Goody
15th November 2006, 20:33
Hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by directing members of the club to the MG-Rover.org site but there is a bit of a horror story here re.above.
warranty works are not actually a Warranty Company.
I dont know the no. of the thread on the .org site but go into forums/search enter warranty works and go to post14 which tells a tale.
Dave

Kandyman
15th November 2006, 20:37
Davey we are aware that members will what to talk about .org and even post links to threads over there that will help members out. :)

Just remember each time you say .org you have to donate a quid to the clubs paypal account ;)

Dave Goody
15th November 2006, 20:51
Davey we are aware that members will what to talk about .org and even post links to threads over there that will help members out. :)

Just remember each time you say .org you have to donate a quid to the clubs paypal account ;)

Do I get the verbal warning 1st as I have to replace my cat next week and am short of the readys? I can let you have 2 slightly used Vis motors as part payment.
I am sure the club will not mind me, suggesting looking for details to help our members out, as most of us are still members of the old forums or ex members and all of us have had a great deal of help in the past from .something. And there is a huge amount of historical [ or Hysterical] data there.
Dave

Kandyman
15th November 2006, 20:59
You know what Dave you could of made me a cup of tea today as i popped over to Navigation Road Chelmsford to have a chat with the car wash guys down there :)

so i'll let you off this time, but i'll want a cup of tea next time i'm over there ;)

Teflon
15th November 2006, 21:11
I wanted a policy that was reliable and robust if I needed it.

That's it in a nutshell really. Reliable and robust is more important to me than fully comprehensive covering all costs. What I mean is that I am after something that will take the "sting" out of a potentially big repair bill and not leave me cursing the day that I bought the car (not likely to happen I hope)!

I have done a bit of digging into Warranty Works. The warranties themselves are with a company called Olympic Warranties and are underwritten by the same insurance co. as the RAC warranties. All companies are above board and registered with the FSA so should be ok. I guess what makes me cautious is the clause which excludes breakdowns due to "wear & tear" of the covered components. Strictly speaking, all breakdowns are surely due to wear & tear to some degree or other, so how easy would it be for claims to be rejected?

In fairness, it is not just Warranty Works which has this exclusion, however Warranty Direct specifically include "wear & tear" in their cover.

Clearly I've got some thinking to do!!

Regards,

Cliff

Dave Goody
15th November 2006, 21:24
You know what Dave you could of made me a cup of tea today as i popped over to Navigation Road Chelmsford to have a chat with the car wash guys down there :)

so i'll let you off this time, but i'll want a cup of tea next time i'm over there ;)

Hi Kandy, as you are one of the people who helped me not so long ago on a far distant forum[ no names I cant afford it] I knew you would understand. Next time you are in the area I'll stand you a beer, just pm me. Dave

DJAndyB
15th November 2006, 22:09
My RAC warranty on my ZTT expires this month and I wondered should I renew it or go with a different one?

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks

Andy

Edit: Thanks Kandyman - makes note to self "must search before posting!" :)

Teflon
8th August 2018, 14:56
Thread update! I was browsing some old threads, and came across this one from nearly 12 years ago! :eek: I was only in my 40's when I posted the question and am now staring 60 right in the face :mad:.

Anyhow, just thought I'd post to say that, I'm still thinking about it and should be able to make a decision in the next week or so. :getmecoat:

Actually No! weighing up the pros and cons, I decided not to buy a warranty and to just take the risk. Since then, other than routine service items, my '75 has had just 2 issues requiring:

new fuel pump;
new clutch;

Overall then, I reckon it was the right decision, and for once in life, I've come out on top :D. Good old Rover!

Cliff

victorgte
8th August 2018, 19:05
Thread update! I was browsing some old threads, and came across this one from nearly 12 years ago! :eek: I was only in my 40's when I posted the question and am now staring 60 right in the face :mad:.

Anyhow, just thought I'd post to say that, I'm still thinking about it and should be able to make a decision in the next week or so. :getmecoat:

Actually No! weighing up the pros and cons, I decided not to buy a warranty and to just take the risk. Since then, other than routine service items, my '75 has had just 2 issues requiring:

new fuel pump;
new clutch;

Overall then, I reckon it was the right decision, and for once in life, I've come out on top :D. Good old Rover!

Cliff
Good to see this update and see a thread from many years ago.
It’s really not something I would consider for my cars now they are 13 to 16 years old. I don’t think any company would want to cover older cars anyway!
I bought a car with an insurance based warranty that came free with the car. You’ve guessed it, it was just about impossible to claim for anything so free just about sums up how good it was.

Rev Jules
8th August 2018, 20:10

new fuel pump;
new clutch;

Cliff

That is a shame ?Cliff, for sale or repair then. LOL,

Teflon
8th August 2018, 21:52
I must admit, I find it quite fascinating looking back at some of the posts I made when I first got the Rover. I had no idea I would get hooked the way I did and never envisaged I would still own the car some 12 years later.

Easily the longest I've ever owned a car for :}.

Cliff

Mike Trident
10th August 2018, 06:20
Is it actually possible to get cover for cars so old even if you wanted it?

Teflon
10th August 2018, 08:21
I don't know, but I doubt it. Even if you could, I dare say the premiums would be horrendous.

Cliff

Mike Trident
10th August 2018, 09:19
Doh! I should have read it all properly lol

You started this conversation in 2006

Mike, STAY WITH THE PROGRAM lol:duh:

Teflon
10th August 2018, 10:22
LOL :D Easy mistake though - there can't be many threads that get revived after 12 yrs :}

Cliff