PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Consumption

Skud Kid
16th November 2006, 13:14
Quick question, i think the VIS Valves on my car are broken and this is to be sorted at my dealer on monday but i put £40 in the tank from empty and only got 202 miles, is this normal cos thats nearly the fuel consumption of my mates hummer

Just need to know, cheers guys

JohnFol
16th November 2006, 15:53
Presuming this is not the V8, that's bad! Are you measuring the consumption using the fuel guage or brim to brim? (just in case it's the guage)

GreyGhost
16th November 2006, 16:31
V6 should get you to 240 - 320 depending on conditions and your driving.

But as you have chosen to make this a. What car do I drive guessing game it? Could be anything. :)

If you fill in the details of your car in the User Control Panel we'll be able to tell at a glance. :)

Kandyman
16th November 2006, 16:54
a pic of his car might help you Ghost ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Passatie/Back.jpg

GreyGhost
16th November 2006, 17:14

Not with what engine is in it, Could be 160, or 180, with hairpins, Lovely looking motor though whatever is under the bonnet.

JP53
16th November 2006, 19:07
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Passatie/Back.jpg

With a car as gorgeous as that I could live with 10 mpg! ;)

Skud Kid
16th November 2006, 23:19
Its the 2.5 v6 160+, from empty i put £40 quid in and was disgusted with the 202 miles. I have tried everything but the car has been playing up and you guys said it could be the vis valves, would this cause it to use more fuel

Gutted :mad:

GreyGhost
16th November 2006, 23:30
Its the 2.5 v6 160+, from empty i put £40 quid in and was disgusted with the 202 miles. I have tried everything but the car has been playing up and you guys said it could be the vis valves, would this cause it to use more fuel

Gutted :mad:

160 should be about the same MPG as 190 if not just a little better 240-320 per tank ish.

I can't make a judgement on the issue really but I would have thought that with dodgy vis valves you may be pushing it harder than it needs to be just to try and get the right kind of performance. Don't panic until you have a proper diagnosis. Vis Valves are not very expensive and fit in minutes. So just get it checked. Once you have the diagnosis if you need any more info you know where to come. Great looking car so worth spending the dosh on IMO.

MartinW
17th November 2006, 06:17
I understood that the VIS valves were not active on the 160 as this was part of the de-tuning process to further separate it from the 190.
This is the same engine as the 75's 177Ps unit and can, apparently have the VIS activated as it is on the 75 by using a 75 map.
That said twice in the past mine went back to the dealer during routine service as I had noted a slight hesitation at 3000 rpm when flooring the throttle. I find that sometimes the low down grunt is not there and use carb cleaner in the air inlet to help clean the sensors off.

The oil does reduce the Octane rating, plus I get better fuel consumption running 0W40 oil and V-power fuel. I know in the past if the mood has taken me I can get nearly 40mpg at 65-70mph cruising. However, I have had 18-20mpg when booting it hard on favourite twistie roads and in stop-start traffic.

Mike
17th November 2006, 06:32
iirc any KV6 with inoperative manifold valves will run like a bag of nails so I'd be extremely surprised if the 160 had had them disabled.

Back on topic, yes knackered vis valves are one of two things that will ruin your mpg figures.

The other one? Oh yes, using the engine in the way it was designed :D It's just terrible on the consumption :)

Mike